Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anything change for you?

Hello, I am considering getting banded and have a question. Did anything change for you? I mean the strong desire to binge, the shameful feelings of being overweight, how you viewed the world? Or maybe the better question is what changed for you? I am male 32 6'1" 358 lbs and have been heavy my whole life since age 11. Thanks!

I was banded in October, so I don't have a long term perspective on things. But yeah, things have changed. I don't binge like I used to, because I can't. It hurts. But beyond that, I don't want to. I have a cookie or two and I am done, and believe me, that isn't the same as I used to be.

The shameful feelings? Those are gone too, because I feel like I have done something to take control of my body.

Another thing that has changed is how I look at what other people eat. I am amazed at the amount of food people eat, and amazed at how little I eat now myself and feel "done." I don't want to say "full" or "satisfied" because it isn't really. However, my body tells me I should stop or I will face some unpleasant consequences, and the memory of previous unpleasant consequences is enough to drive away any food cravings I have.

Something that is better is that I can have a treat without feeling guilty, because I know I will have a bite or two and won't go overboard.

One thing that hasn't changed is the realization that I still have to watch what I eat to continue to lose weight. I don't have to worry so much about how much I will eat, but I have to worry about what kinds of foods I eat. Since I am eating less, I have to make what I eat count towards nutrition. So I can have a bite of pie or ice cream, but I better not have more or I won't be able to eat what I should eat to be healthy. I'm a lot more aware of that.

Hope this helps. I remember the doctor telling my mom before I went into first grade that I was too heavy, so I know what you mean about being overweight your whole life. I now feel I have a chance to live my life as a non-overweight person, and it's pretty exciting.

The band doesn't work the same for everyone, so anyone who tells you this is the magic cure for obesity isn't telling the real story. But for the first time I don't have the fear that every pound I lose will show back up as soon as I stop dieting.

As Snowbird said, I am also amazed with the amounts people eat. I am also amazed that when I feel like I ate way too much, someone will usually point out how it is still such a little amount. Your eye for what you consider a large meal will greatly change. What you think is big will actually be a smallish meal for a non banded person and what most people eats seems outrageous.

My desire to binge has not changed much but the way I handle it has changed. You can't physically binge on most foods but things like ice cream, chocolate, etc go down really smooth and easy. It is definitely a head challenge.

Ultimately you are going to get out of the band what you put into it. The band is a tool to help keep weight off. I can eat pretty much anything, within reason, and not gain weight, but in order to lose the weight I have to put forth the effort. I have to diet and exercise. I think the single biggest reason for failure with the band is not truely understanding that this is only a tool. You must work with it, it won't do all the work.

Things have changed a great deal for me. I am down over 100lbs. from my preop diet. I went from a size 24 go an 18. As far as food goes, I no longer binge. I occassionally have a green tea frappacino from Starbucks! I no longer want unhealthy foods. We consume so much less all I want is nutrional foods. Good luck with your decision.

I've been overweight since I came out of my momma.

Since banding, I notice overweight people a lot more and feel the urge to tell them about WLS.. I want them to share the excitement, and get out of the rut. I see the pain and discomfort in public I was getting in the last few years.

Now I'm overly confident in myself in public, I don't feel like the fat girl in the room. I'm not obsessed with food, but I do have times when I want to binge... and can't.. and I just have to deal with it. The mood does pass.

Speaking of how much people eat... I had an appointment w/ my families attorney this morning and we went to eat afterward. I ordered a small cup of Soup and watched as the table of three, extremely thin, women beside us ate a PILE of two appetizers, huge salads w/ croissants, huge meals and dessert. I was completely and thoroughly amazed just watching those folks inhale all that food. I mean, where do they put it?? I really didn't eat huge amounts before, but my band makes SO much difference. I don't desire to eat until it makes me sick. Granted, I'm still new to this, but I ADORE feeling in control!

I'm sometimes suprised at how much hasn't changed. I too am new (only 3 months out).

I still WANT to eat - mostly from being bored. If however, I eat too much I feel bloated, icky and REALLY uncomfortable. The quantity of food is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than what I would have eaten in the past however. Lap Band has helped tremendously reduce being hungry - however, it doesn't address the desire to simply eat for other reasons.

You still have to really watch WHAT you eat. The band will help how much your stomach can hold - but you have to take control over what you put INTO your stomach.

Unlike bypass, certain foods won't make you sick. There's no dumping if you eat too much sugar, etc. There's a LOT of control you still need to have - but it's great having the support of the band.