Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Michigan

Hi - My name is Jody - this is my very first post, I was just banded on 12/20/07, and between the 2 weeks of Optifast prior to surgery and weightloss after surgery I am down 21 pounds!

I had a follow up with my surgeon on 12/28 and he wants me to start exercising. I am not against it but am too sore yet to work out. Prior to surgery, I loved going to Curves, but there's no way I can do that right now. I haven't had to take any pain meds since I got out of the hospital, and don't want to start now because of over-doing it.

My surgeon suggested that I walk, but it's far too cold for me to walk outside. I'm not much of a mall-walker person, since I am a slow mover right now. I would just like to be able to get back to Curves.

I'd love to know how long it took before some of you could work out. I hate just sitting here not doing anything. I did order a treadmill, but it won't be here for 10-14 days, I also have an eliptical machine, but am a little scared to get on that as well.

Hi Jody,

I'm glad you found this site. It's great. Lots of information from people who are living it everyday. You will get addicted to it for awhile.

I've heard the port pain can be there for while for some people and the stitches inside take awhile to heal too. I think if your still in pain you should take it easy and ease into it as you feel better.

I'm having my last test on Friday and January is my last month on my 6 month supervised diet. Hope to have all the paperwork into BC/BS IL. by early next week! I'm excited yet apprehensive at the same time. It seems like some people have major problems getting approved and some get approved in 3 days!

Take care and congrats!

Every insurance is different. I had my husband's BCBS out of Pennsylvania and they denied me 4 years ago. I tried again in June with more documentation, and they denied me again. I was working on an appeal, when I got a new job and got BCBS of Michigan and was approved within a day with the same documentation that I was denied with from the other insurance! It's ridiculous how some insurance companies treat people. Good luck, I heard that most BCBS plans are good at approving, Pennsylvania aside.

Hello and welcome. I am going for my preop on Thursday of this week. Any instructions? Also, did you do an overnight at the hospital? Which one? I am being banded on Jan 9th! I am excited, but I want to know all I can know before I go.

Thanks

Hi CJV,

My preop wasn't much. They just went over my medical history, what meds I am on and gave me some instructions. No eating after midnight the day before surgery, no asprin or ibuprophen the week before surgery (or after). Not much more was said.

I had my surgery at Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn, MI. I was in the hospital overnight. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My biggest fear was having the breathing tube inserted before I was put to sleep. The anestheiologist did have to insert the tube before I was asleep, but I don't remember a thing!

I was up within a 1/2 hour of being woke up, I really had to go to the bathroom bad, and was not going to use a bed pan. It was a little hard to walk, but not a big deal.

I was not given anything to eat or drink or except for Water while in, but I didn't want anything else. I went home less than 24 hours after my surgery and did well.

The biggest advise I can give is after the surgery, make sure you drink, drink, drink. It was really hard for me to drink, and I am still struggling with it. I used to guzzle Water and can't do that anymore, so I have a hard time getting enough down. I felt the effects of it too - felt like I was getting a UTI. Not fun.

I did not have to take any pain medication after I got home from the hospital. I had some pain, but it wasn't that bad. Keep a pillow around. Cover your abdomen when you have to cough, sneeze or laugh. I also slept in recliner instead of my bed for the first week. I like to sleep on my side and it hurt to do so, so the chair kept me from rolling over!

Where are you having your surgery? I was so excited about mine, everyone kept asking me if I was nervous, I wasn't -- I was just ready, ready, ready!!!

Good Luck,

Jody

Jody, THANK YOU so much. I am a patient of Dr. Poplawski at Barix in Ypsi and the hospital they use is on site Forest Medical Center. I want to stay overnight, but I hear they send them home the same day; kinda outpatient surgery. I wonder if I will have the option to stay overnight. I also hear this place will do upper GI, blood work, breathing tests and xrays on the preop. (mine is tomorrow) and yes I am excited. I will finally have the help to get out of this fat suit I have been wearing.

Anything else you can share post-op please let me know. Anyone else with the Barix of Michigan out there?