Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI'ers--2008!!!

I didn't go to Mexico and I had a fairly low BMI. I found that after I added airfare and the fills afterwards (my dr. covered them free for a year and then charges $200 for a year of fills after the first year), I was at about the same price. My husband is like yours--he REALLY didn't want me going to Mexico. I probably paid about $300-500 more by not going to Mexico but the peace of mind was worth it. If you go to Mexico, be sure you have made arrangements for fills after--many drs here won't do fills on Mexico patients and the ones that do charge A LOT from what others have told me.

Good luck on your decision!

That alot of you with a lower BMI, Like Myself (32) went to Mexico, is this because it was difficult or impossible to get an American Dr. to band you? I know my husband would have a heart attack if I went to Mexico, because about seven years ago I had some heart issues, now I am all clear but he worries... I don't mind paying Double because of that, but I am worried I won't be able to find a dr. to band me, and that even if I go to Mexico is my BMI to low to get fills in America?

Thanks For all Your help- You guys are wonderful!:rolleyes:

I chose to go to Mexico because:

1. my insurance wouldn't cover me because I didn't have the same company for 2+ years which was their requirement for WLS..and I was NOT willing to wait another year

2. I wanted to go to Dr. Ortiz because of the amount of surgeries he has performed and his great record of low complications. There was another surgeon about an hour away from here who was close to the same price, but had only performed about 400 surgeries and at the time Dr. Ortiz had performed 4000+ so to me that was actually the clicker and I've not regretted it.

I have a local naturopathic doctor who does my fills.

I don't even know if my BMI was considered low. I didn't go to Mexico because my dr. charged 10,000 and I didn't think with airfare and fills it would be worth it even save 3,000.00. I live 5 min from my surgeon, and it's just much more convenient for me. Plus, I love my surgeon. He came to support group tonight and answered questions all evening. He is WONDERFUL!

The only way I would have gone to Mexico would be if I lived in Southern CA.

AudricIan, I am so glad you are doing better. I was worried about you!

You may not need to get any more fills the way you're going!

That alot of you with a lower BMI, Like Myself (32) went to Mexico, is this because it was difficult or impossible to get an American Dr. to band you? I know my husband would have a heart attack if I went to Mexico, because about seven years ago I had some heart issues, now I am all clear but he worries... I don't mind paying Double because of that, but I am worried I won't be able to find a dr. to band me, and that even if I go to Mexico is my BMI to low to get fills in America?

Thanks For all Your help- You guys are wonderful!:)

I am sure you can find a doctor in the states to do it for you. I went to an informational seminar a few months before I was banded. It was with an American doctor in Southern California and he said he will band patients with a BMI of 30. Of course insurance will never cover it, but you can get it done. The only reason I did not use this doctor (he was only 5 miles from my home too!) is because self pay was 17k and I honestly could not afford it. That is why I went to Mexico, it was all about cost for me. I am only hours from Dr. Ortiz's office, I just have to wait in a long line to get back into California! Luckily I chose a great surgeon and my recovery was great and I am on my way to a size 7! You can definately get a band in the states, just do google search and make some calls to different doctor's. The websites do not always say that they will band with a low BMI so you should call and ask. Good luck to you!

At the hospital where I had my band fitted, the following applies:

People with a body mass index (BMI) either equal to or greater than 40kg/m², or between 35kg/m² and 40kg/m² in the presence of significant co-morbid conditions that could be improved by weight loss.

I had a BMI of 41.2 at surgery, which I guess is quite low compared to some people (especially some I've seen on the Discovery Channel). I do have co-morbidities.

But, I may need further surgery on my band (long story) and I'm now at a BMI of 30.0. There's been no question of a problem having the surgery because of my weight loss. I am fortunate enough to be a patient of our NHS.

How much weight on average is lost after the first month?

I started with BMI just over 30, lower than most. I lost about 10 lbs in the first month which is not that much compared to others. It all depends on the individual and how much extra weight you have to lose I guess. People with 100lbs to lose obvious lose a lot more weight in the first month than someone with only 50 lbs to lose.

I am sure you can find a doctor in the states to do it for you. I went to an informational seminar a few months before I was banded. It was with an American doctor in Southern California and he said he will band patients with a BMI of 30. Of course insurance will never cover it, but you can get it done. The only reason I did not use this doctor (he was only 5 miles from my home too!) is because self pay was 17k and I honestly could not afford it. That is why I went to Mexico, it was all about cost for me. I am only hours from Dr. Ortiz's office, I just have to wait in a long line to get back into California! Luckily I chose a great surgeon and my recovery was great and I am on my way to a size 7! You can definately get a band in the states, just do google search and make some calls to different doctor's. The websites do not always say that they will band with a low BMI so you should call and ask. Good luck to you!

AudricIan, I am so happy for you...I have been watching to see how you're progressing as you went through so much to get your band...wow, you are approaching a 7 already? Good for you. .. Has your husband admitted it was a great choice yet? He must be seeing these results and have nothing but happiness for you!!

Thanks For all Your help- You guys are wonderful!:biggrin:

I had a BMI of 31 with no health problems and I had my surgery done in Houston. I was self-pay and it cost $12,500, but well worth it! My goal is to get to a BMI of 20 and I'm well on my way!

Thanks for your encouragement. I started out with a BMI of 31. It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I've already lost 12 pounds! I am so excited, but worried that I will slow down soon. My first fill is still 2 weeks away, but I'm definitely eating less than 1000 calories a day. Sometimes I eat only 500 calories because I'm still on mushies.

AudricIan, I am so happy for you...I have been watching to see how you're progressing as you went through so much to get your band...wow, you are approaching a 7 already? Good for you. .. Has your husband admitted it was a great choice yet? He must be seeing these results and have nothing but happiness for you!!

Well, he hasn't said he it was a good choice yet. He only comments if I ask him how I look. Every pound I lose I ask him...."how much do you think I weigh today?" He always says less than what I actually weigh. He has been understanding when it comes to going out to eat, he makes sure it is a restaurant where there is something on the menu I can eat comfortably. I am still tight and can only eat a few bites before I am full. My hubby can tell when I am uncomfortable, he says I get this look on my face and he can tell something is stuck or passing through the band. I still get the shoulder pain when I eat until the food passes through the band. I just keep hoping with every lb lost that the band is going to losen up. I am down to 159!!!! I haven't seen 159 in about 6 years! I am so excited and I am now wearing a size 10 comfortably. No more lane bryant jeans for me. I have given all of my clothes that are too big away so it is not an option to gain weight back now. Thanks for the support! Nicole

Yay! that's such good news. It's such a good feeling to be able to buy the clothes that we want and not be stuck in plus sizes.

Well, he hasn't said he it was a good choice yet. He only comments if I ask him how I look. Every pound I lose I ask him...."how much do you think I weigh today?" He always says less than what I actually weigh. He has been understanding when it comes to going out to eat, he makes sure it is a restaurant where there is something on the menu I can eat comfortably. I am still tight and can only eat a few bites before I am full. My hubby can tell when I am uncomfortable, he says I get this look on my face and he can tell something is stuck or passing through the band. I still get the shoulder pain when I eat until the food passes through the band. I just keep hoping with every lb lost that the band is going to losen up. I am down to 159!!!! I haven't seen 159 in about 6 years! I am so excited and I am now wearing a size 10 comfortably. No more lane bryant jeans for me. I have given all of my clothes that are too big away so it is not an option to gain weight back now. Thanks for the support! Nicole

AMAZING! Good for you, how awesome, the tightness DOES go down, with my last fill I was sooooo tight, had a tiny bit removed because I couldn't even swallow excess saliva (yeah it is gross) anyway i'm really loose right now and I haven't lost alot of weight on the outside, so i'm thinking I just lost stomach pad fat! Oh well, it's still fat lost. :thumbup:

Good for you on the size 10 - he'll come around, just give it time and he'll be ranting and raving about how awesome you are and how much work/pain you went through for it and he'll see it wasn't the "easy" way out. :rolleyes:

Keep us posted, there are other's here who are pulling for you.

Renee

I am down to 159!!!! I haven't seen 159 in about 6 years! I am so excited and I am now wearing a size 10 comfortably. ! Nicole

Isn't it great? I haven't been this weight in 25 years! I never thought I would see size 10 ever again!

It does feel good. I thought I would be more satisfied at this weight than I am though. When I was in the 180's I thought, once I get to the 170's I will be happy. At 170, I thought 160's will make me feel so much better. The 160's have flown by in 1 month and today I weighed in at 156. I am happy but I feel like once I get to the 140's I will feel GREAT! Only now, I am not too sure what it will take to satisfy this need to be thin. Is 130 lbs thin enough. I remember when I was in the military and I weighed 130 lbs, I thought I was fat. What is wrong with me? Everyone says I look so good but I just don't see it. I see a flabby stomach full of stretch marks and big boobs that have yet to lose an ounce. I think the only place I am losing weight is my butt and legs and those are not my problem areas! I really don't want to get a TT, financially it is not an option and we all know how my hubby feels anout surgeries, LOL! I still look bad in a swim suit and I was really hoping to be able to go to the beach in a bathing suit and enjoy the ocean with my kids this year. I want to be care free and get in the Water and not think everyone is looking at the fat mommy with the cute kids. I will be 30 in June and I am the thinnest I have been in 6 years. I have some issues that is for sure. It doesn't help that I am PMS'ing and nothing is going my way, typical PMS symptoms! Thanks everyone.