Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction of Janie

Hi, my name is Janie. I am 50 years old and I weigh 285. I have an eating disorder which I have been unable to change. I am seriously considering getting the lap band. I really enjoyed looking at all the before and after pictures, they gave me a lot of encouragement that there is hope for me. I also enjoyed reading different postings and the encouragement you all give to people. Sometimes I just resign myself to the fact that "I am fat and that is that". Then at other times I wish I didn't have this huge belly hanging out in front of me that I had to fashion a diaper to stick under because it gets sticky. I also think that most of my health problems could probably be relieved if I just lost even a little bit of weight. But each time I try to stop eating out of control I just cannot seem to stop myself. Right now I am sitting here at my computer and I keep thinking I have something I need to do. But I know it is just my way of getting up and going into the kitchen and opening the refridgerator and stuffing something else in my gut even though I already ate. I do not even know what a hunger pain is or what being satiated from eating normally means. I just think I am supposed to eat until I am stuffed to overflowing then I feel satisfied.

Hi Janie - I can so relate to what you have written. Especially the part about the nagging feeling there is something you need to do which only leads to going to the kitchen for some more food. Heck, over 2 years out and 90+ pounds down there are still days I feel like that but NOT everyday. And there is a big difference in the guilt level associated with falling prey to those old patterns but knowing I am now moving 2 steps foward 1 step back instead of the other way around.

Choosing the band is a very personal choice. None of us can make that choice for you. On this site you will find those who have raced to there goals and passed them. Those that feel they are taking a much slower path than they had hoped and a few that the band hasn't seemed to help.

Personally I was always able to lose weight on just about any diet for awhile. I just was never able to maintain the lifestyle necessary to keep it off, or to get to that ever elusive goal. The band has definitely helped me. I tend to lose faster when I'm on a kick of following the high-protein regime but don't gain much if any weight back when I don't. This has given me the hope that when I do finally decide I am happy with where I'm at and quit making any attempts to lose the weight I should be able to maintain it much easier than I ever was before. I swear it is a 4-letter word but yes, the band is only a T-O-O-L. For me it was the tool I needed to keep my hunger in check while I tried to learn a new lifestyle and loose my unwanted weight.

I wish you nothing but the best no matter what you decide. Good Luck and Much Happiness in the New Year.

Oh, and I've also been there done that with the "home-made diaper" I would roll up a paper towel and put it under there or an extra long feminine pad. I also used antiperspirants and occasionally Athletes foot spray when it really got sore.