Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is there anyone who has no restrictions before surgery?

i am scheduled to be banded on Jan 7th. I was given no pre op diet, no restrictions at all....i have been saying goodbye to all my favorite foods by eating them, no I am scared i am going to have a liver the size of a small child:eek:

I have had one appt with the office/dr., and it was super short...watched the video, dr gave me some post op info and paperwork...and that was it....they didnt even weigh me!!!!

I was fine with all this til i have been reading on here....should i put myself on some sort of preop diet....anyone have this same expeirence as me and it was all fine??:scared:

cherrie:help:

I posted in this same thread on the other forum.

I didn't have a preop diet--I had my band put in last friday 12/28 and am doing great.

Mary

Dr Arturo Rodriguez/Monterrey

I had no pe-op anything either. Dr. Spivak simply said "Do not gain any weight before surgery." I looked at what other people were doing and kept my consumption down to a dull roar the week before.

By the way, don't bother with the "last supper syndrome" because you will be able to eat probably 80-90% of what you ate before after the band is on....juswt in smaller quantities. You're not kissing foods goodbye...you are kissing the PORTIONS goodbye.

I had pre-op instructions but had difficulty following them. I got anxious & just couldn't "stick with it". But, the 5 days before the surgery I buckled down & dieted appropriately according to dr instructions & lost 10 pounds. He said my liver was "a little plump" but he could get around it & did it laproscopically. From what I've read, the advantage to dieting beforehand (lo fat diet, Protein shakes) is that the liver shrinks & they are able to lift it out of the way easier for laproscopic surgery. If it's too chunky then they have to do an open procedure. I was worried too, but it was fine. I would say, do what you can!

Good luck!

I too had no pre-op diet whatsoever and made sure I ate just about everything because I thought I wouldn't be able to eat any of it afterwards, but after the post op diet etc, I've found I can still eat most things, but like Kacee said, it's just the amount that has changed. good luck!

I wasn't given a pre-op diet, either. They said I should lose 10% of my total desired but didn't hold me to it. I think they want to avoid the gain that would come from a huge binge presurgery. I know they cancelled one guys surgery because he had gained 25 pounds between his pre-op visit and his surgery! So I tried not to do that!!!

Please call your Dr. and ask about his/her specific instructions. They can vary from Dr to Dr and for different patients.

If you have a higher BMI or if your bloodwork indicated a fatty Liver thru the LFT test, then a pre op diet might be indicated.

The least you should be doing is nothing to eat or drink the day of the surgery. This is generally mandatory.

I was on Clear liquids for two days and nothing the day of surgery.

I had no pro-op diet. Had surgery in Sept . Loss 42 lbs so far. Am very happy with the results.

weight.png

I was on a low carb diet before surgery. I lost 5 pounds and surgery was a breeze.