Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of motivation BIG STYLE

Hi everyone,

I had my band go worng and had a re-surgery on 9th November 2007.

I had 4.5mls put in at the time of surgery and I felt some seious restriction. I still have problems, but because I am 10 months down the track from my initial BUZZ about how COOL this was going to eb and how wonderful and amazing I was gonna look, and all the rules I had to follow.. I am kind of feeling a little deflated. I am eating crap and I just dont know what I am doing. I am sick pretty much every day, and it seems that if I am sick after a few bites, then I can then carry on with the meal. Other than that I have to eat WET food like casserole, stew or noodles with sauce or anything with sauce otherwise I get that choke feeling and have to shove my fingers down my throat.

I am glad I have restriction, but I kind of dont know what to do with myself. I am sitting here 40 minutes after eating 2 forkfulls of rice and sauce, vomiting it back, then having a chunk of chicken and sauce, and vomiting again and I am HUNGRY again.

I cant eat bread or anything dry. I can eat salad and I can eat most everything else, but because I am now so scared of eating anything that is not wet, I am having sauces that are probably loaded with cals.

Someone drag me up by the boot straps and give me a dressing down.

I wish I had never had this donw as it feels like false hope and optomism. I am paranoid about my band breaking again, and just cant take it.

so what do you think...? Should I try and stick with a diet and do this thing too?

Depressed in the UK.:cry

Oh, gosh girl you just need a big hug. I know for myself if I'm not careful about chewing I will have problems. Remember why you wanted to be banded in the first place. You have lost 9 lbs!!! That's great. It's sure better than gaining 9 lbs. Hang in there.

Have you considered having like .5 taken back OUT of your band so you can eat more like a normal person? Based on what you said, it sounds to me like you wouldn't be getting the nutrients that you SHOULD be getting. Like Protein FIRST. Protein is what's going to help you feel full. I would talk to the doc if I were you - you sound way too tight. From what I know, the band should help us to eat mostly normal, but just much smaller portions. You definitely shouldn't be sick all the time!

If you keep pb'ing you are going to damage your band. I think you should get an unfill so you won't be miserable and you can eat.

I got my first fill last Thursday and I am doing great. I get a small pain if I don't chew well enough or take to big of a bite but I haven't thrown up at all. I feel like my band is doing is exactly what I thought it would do. It allows me to eat but not eat too much or too fast. Get an unfill so you can enjoy your band.

I just had my first fill, and the diet sheet my surgeon gave me to follow after the fill had a list of symptoms at the bottom, that if you were having them, to call the office. Everything you have mentioned is on his list. In his words, he says to call the office for a slight de-fill because any one of these symptoms is "unacceptable". We did this to be healthy, to have more energy, and to look and FEEL good. IMHO, you shouldn't feel sick , or regret this in any way.

Good luck to you, and keep us updated.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. I have booked to see a new doctor on 17th January. I have been trying not to take too big bites, and to chew really well. I have not had to make myself sick for 4 days straight which is a new thing for me. I guess I have to do this - just stick to the chew!

I am really worried about having an unfill because I feel my band has been so worthless. I have had it in for ayear without it working at all, and now that it is correct and CAN work, I kind of want to fill the darn thing up!! I think it would emotionally destroy me if I had to get it unfilled. I havent lost any weight at all, but I think that because of all the emotional problems of havingthe band go wrong for me in the first place and not knowing for 8 months, regaining all my inital lost weight etc... I kind of got into a rut of eating to comfort myself again.

Since I really sat down and thought about my band and what i needed to do and got a grip of it, I think I got it sussed.

I really hope that I am NEVER sick again, but I know I will probably make a mistake. I think that being banded for such a long time, and eating whatever I darn well please with it has kind of jaded my view, and maybe I didnt change my attitude like I did when I first had it done.

So new year, new leaves to turn, and I am gonna just think of the chew and go for it.

Bunny

I am having the same problem, and sometimes the food won't come back up, which is causing a delayed vomit at the most inconvenient time. I am now having to stick to veggie Soup with Beans for Protein. I was very happy at first, but am a bit frustrated...but I know it's my own doing. I am not having any trouble with Soup or Beans, but anything else clogs me instantly. A great reminder that I need to be able to eat only things I can chew to liquid form; and only those with minimal fat and calories. Try eating various Soups for a week or so, and then slowly add small portions of other things. No bread, potatoes, or anything that can get gooey....that is, at least, my stopper

Good luck to you; I really hope you can overcome the hurdles.