Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I a good lap band candidate????

After 30 years of going up and down with my weight, trying everything to help me with losing weight, I looked into the lap band surgery. In January 2007, I had my first bariatric surgeon visit to begin the lap band qualifications. They said I was a perfect candidate. I weighed 234 lbs at 5'4 with high blood pressure. I have finished all my clearances and 10% weight loss requirement and I am presently 205 with a BMI of 35.2. When I had my 2nd surgeon consult in September, he questioned why I couldn't lose the rest on my own and told me to come back in three months. I was devastated. Well, that three months is up and I see him again on January 4. I thought I was a good candidate for the lap band and all my physicians also said I was a great candidate. Has anyone else had my present BMI (or around) and have been successsful with the band? Am I being unrealistic to think that the benefits of the lap band will far outweigh the risks of the surgery? Anyone that relates---please help!!

That was why I opted not to do the 6 month weight loss program my insurance required. I figured they would just use it as an excuse to say I didn't need the band, if I lost any weight at all. The problem is you can lose the weight if you really put your mind to it....you just cannot KEEP it off long term. You said yourself you've done this for 30 years (so did I). I would go back and insist that you want it, if you truly do.

I would still think it would be worth it. You are my height and your starting is about my weight. I really have no problem losing weight. I've done it many many times. My goal with the band is not just to lose weight, but to KEEP IT OFF. Yes, I could certainly diet and lose weight (probably not all I need to lose, but I could make a big dent in it) but six month later, I would very likely have gained it all back, plus some extra. That was the deciding factor for me.

I started a couple points above where you are right now. I can lose weight - that is not my biggest problem. My biggest problem is staying on track the entire way down and THEN maintaining the loss. That's where the band helps. I've had days where I got on the scale and nothing changed. In the past, that may have warranted me giving up and eating something bad for me that day. But knowing I have the band and it's not giving up on me, I don't give up on it! And I know once I get down to size, it'll be easier to STAY there because I won't be able to eat the portions I could before. I would have some straight talk with your doc about it. Some people just don't understand. If you explain why YOU need the band, it would probably help your doc to get it.

I'm glad you asked this. I'm just starting to look into lap band surgery and I'm 5'2" about 194, so BMI I think is 35.5. I want the surgery really bad, and I'm afraid they will say to go on a pre-op diet, which could take me below 35 BMI. Anyway...sorry I don't have a lot of advice, but I can I'm about the same BMI and I can let you know how it goes as I get more info.

The program here goes by the weight you start with the bariatric center. It doesn't matter how much you lose post op because it is the first weight that they get that they count...hope this helps!

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm the same as others - I can lose the weight but keeping it off is another story. I was also concerned that I go to the doctor and if I lose weight during the 6 month evaluation I will not qualify. Glad to know it is the starting weight. My seminar is July 10 - insurance requires 6 months of classes, dieting etc. So February 2009 would be the earliest I could get banded. Now that I have decided to do this I am looking forward to it. I'm also lookin at the band as a constant reminder for me to follow a healthy lifestyle. It will remind me not to eat too much. It will help me live longer and enjoy my kids. I'm going to be 47 in August and I want 50 to be my start - the second half of my life - the healthy half.:cursing:

I am in a similar situation. I am a 35 bmi with comorbids but I'm afraid I might pre-diet myself out of qualifying for the band. The insurance lady at my surgeon's office told me to do the doctor supervised diet, jump through the hoops - but just make sure NOT to lose any weight. They don't care if you are successful with the diet, they only ask that you do it.

My surgeon is a firm believer that dieting doesn't work long term for people like us; I think if you're a bariatric surgeon, you should believe in what you do! I think it's strange that your surgeon is trying to dissuade you from the surgery... Maybe try someone else with a better attitude?