Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Tuck before Lap Band

Had a Tummy Tuck about 3 years ago. Considering lap band in near future. Is there anything with the tummy tuck surgery that would eliminate me as a candidate for lap band?

thanks for info. I couldn't see why the Tummy Tuck would affect the lap band surgery but just wanted to check. my bmi is also about 30. Had tummy tuck after major weight loss 3 yrs ago but am gaining back. Wgt gain is not in tummy area but every place else. Just want to get back to where I was 3 yrs ago and think lap band will "stop" the yo-yo affect.

I had a Tummy Tuck 4 years ago and just got the lapband 3 months ago. I had no problems...my scar from the TT is way low and the lapband scars are pretty high.

The part that I was worried about it them going through my belly button to inflate the gas bc my "new" bb is almond shaped and deep. I thought they would have problems, but they didn't have any problems.

My weight gain since my TT is all in my upper stomach now and my back and butt. I had lose over 100lbs when I got my TT in 2003 and I was like "I am never going back" and of course I gained 80 lbs back. I am on my way back down!

tulipstar: I guess I don't understand much about the surgery because I didn't even think about inflating with gas. Exactly where does the gas go and is it always inserted to bb. If my bb is not in the same place as it was before tt, is that going to make a difference. Other than the new bb, I thought the tt just changed the muscle structure but all organs and everything else are in the exact same place. Sounds like you have gone thru the regaining of wgt just like me. I hope the lap band is the answer.

I can't relate, but wanted to say something re: the gas. Not all surgeons use the BB as one of the openings for the laparoscopic tools. My closest one is 1 inch above my BB. If you look in the scars thread (in the "general" forum in stickies at the top), you can see that it appears that the majority are actually not involving the BB at all.

I had a TT 5 years ago and was banded Dec 13. My surgeon had no problems with the surgery he did not even go near my BB. Incision for the gas was just under my breast bone. So my tt sacr were not affected at all. After my TT the weight I gained was in my upper stomach right under my boobs, my back and hips and thighs. So I still have a flat lower stomach.

Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions.