Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

comfort eating

This may sound like a silly question, but I have been wondering...I have just started my Optifast after a Christmas pre op Binge:phanvan....

After the band, what about comfort eating, eating for reasons other than hunger, does it still happen? I know the band is just a tool, I am assuming will power is easier with the band...

Just thinking aloud hahha, thanks

:rolleyes

I think its what they call "head hunger" - for me its comfort eating. I'm not physically hungry, and its a constant battle to stay busy enough to avoid snacking. I have virtually banned goodies from the house - Christmas was awful but they are nearly gone again.

My two biggest hurdles - comfort eating and slowing down. I started by snacking healthy and trying to say to myself "do you REALLY want this" - most of the time it works. What has helped with the band, is that restriction, so if I do have Snacks, I end up with way less.

My restriction isn't that great, I'm due my second fill, and I hope this will help :)

My food intake is out of control at the moment. I have been going for a long power walk every day just to keep the hounds at bay. I have absolutely no restriction or control for that matter. Something shifted and I can't stop eating. I have been on steroids which I know have not helped... thankfully will be off those in the next 2 days. I also know that it doesn't help that I'm on holidays from work... too much time on my hands. I'm afraid I will put on the the weight I have lost... so far so good.

This may sound like a silly question, but I have been wondering...I have just started my Optifast after a Christmas pre op Binge:phanvan....

After the band, what about comfort eating, eating for reasons other than hunger, does it still happen? I know the band is just a tool, I am assuming will power is easier with the band...

Just thinking aloud hahha, thanks

:)

o my gosh i'm exactly the same infact i put on 2 kilos at xmas and now have 2 weeks of Optifast to get myself right for surgery.....

i think you and i might be twins i think the same thing about the will power and the band

14 jan 08 is banding day for me... i am scared a bout going under anaesthetic and i'm worried the liquid diet will make me hate it.. i need results... but someone messaged me before on here and she's lost 15 lbs in like 5 days so that impresses me.....

sending u lots of support

jess

:)

o my gosh i'm exactly the same infact i put on 2 kilos at xmas and now have 2 weeks of Optifast to get myself right for surgery.....

i think you and i might be twins i think the same thing about the will power and the band

14 jan 08 is banding day for me... i am scared a bout going under anaesthetic and i'm worried the liquid diet will make me hate it.. i need results... but someone messaged me before on here and she's lost 15 lbs in like 5 days so that impresses me.....

sending u lots of support

jess

Hi,

I lost 5kg in the week after surgery and was then promoted to mushies. the post op liquid diet isn't too bad - the first few days you don't really feel like eating anyway and then you get Soups and smoothies and jelly and broth and drinking yoghurt - basically anything that goes up a McDonalds straw.

You'll do fine!!

Danna

Thanks guys. Its nice to have your support :biggrin1:

i have just completed my first week of Optifast, it has been hard as I have still had to cook dinner for husband and son. Tonight it was spag bog, I had to taste it for flavouring and boy oh boy did I want some hahah....Tonight I weighed myself and scales say 5kg down....Seems to be working.

I stopped smoking a month ago too, in preparation for surgery so I am feeling alot better. I know its for a good cause and their is an end in sight. I just wish that after surgery I could be a size 12, and then I can do all the hard work...Guess it doesn't work like that...

Good luck with your band and diet Jess, :)

Hey Cherry,

I noticed that you are from Perth. Have you been to the Yahoo group - there are a lot of Perthites on there and they often have get togethers - they seem to have a really great network and are very supportive. I have put the address for the group below.

au.messages.yahoo.com/health/lap-band

Danna