Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In PHX Looking 4 Recommendations in Mexico?

Anyone have recommendations on doctors in Mexico? I think I have it narrowed down to Mexicali or Tiajuana but I am still open to suggestions. The whole "fills" thing still has me undecided. I've noticed that some people get fills monthly, while others go every few months. What is the average? I could go to the new FCUSA that opened not too far from my home. I will be self paying but if there is a highly recommended, comparable, US alternative, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

Michelle

Hola!!

I just had my band yesterday afternoon and am in my hotel room getting ready to go to the mall!

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey and his whole crew are fantastic!! I live just north of Dallas-it was 1hour 40 min flight.

everything has gone exactly like I was told

So far I'm only singing praises! OH--and if you go to the new realize band site--Those are Dr Rodriguez' patients--he has been doing this band since it was the swedish band--and is a proctor for the realize band

Mary

12/28/07

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez/Monterrey

I am sure you can have great results by going to Mexico but I really suggest you do your homework and make sure it is a wise choice. You are right, it is the 'fill' situation you need to think about. I know two people who had the surgery in Tijuana and neither has done well. Here is what you need to consider.

You need to have fills at least every six weeks until you find your sweet spot. Are you prepared to go to Mexico every time for a fill? I don't know of any surgeons in the US who will do fills for patients who had surgery in Mexico. (also my clinic has a wonderful support group and you can only go to it if you had surgery at that center)

There is also the concern about any possible complications. If you have surgery in Mexico and have to go to the hospital for any reason, you are going to have difficulty finding a doctor knowledgeable in bariatrics who will help you. It is always best to go to the doctor who did your surgery.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, the decision is totally yours. I just would hope that you would weigh all the options and be really informed before you decide. I don't know what the difference in cost is, (I had to pay out of pocket and it was pricey!) but unless it was a HUGE difference I would have surgery done in the US.

Kbinaz---don't know where you got all your "information" about Mexico docs, etc.--but I assure you that you have been misinformed. I have a list of docs in my area that were TRAINED BY the doc who put my band in.--And I suppose you are never going to go anywhere--since no one else will take care of someone else's patients. I may or may not come back to mexico for fills--the airfare from dfw to monterrey is less than what a lot of docs are charging for the fills.(who don't use flouroscopy either) But you don't have to have fills every 6 weeks either.THAT depends on your doc also--mine said as long as I am losing weight OR sizes--no fill. Only when I quit losing.

And yes-I was self pay--and yes, there is a HUGE price difference. But I did my research and didn't base my decision only on price--I looked for experience and positive reports. If you go to www.realizeband.com ALL of the patients on there are Dr. Rodriguez patients. It was his patients that were the study group for the FDA to get US approval(he's been doing them a long time)--and is a proctor for J&J to train other docs

So it really does serve to do the research--both in making your decision AND before you start spreading false information. Too bad there isn't a "Snopes" for that type of thing.

Mary

12/28/2007

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez/Monterrey

Mellis..... well said.

Not sure how hard it is to get the realize band filled the US.

You have any idea?

I am self pay and I went to Dr Kirschenbaum in Denver, Colorado and got my band on 10/16/07... He charges $9950 for everything and that includes 3 months aftercare and fills... After that fills for his patients is $15... He is a great Dr and cares about his patients.... He is the US alternative to Mexico... There are 2 threads on Dr Kirschenbaum under "Doctors and Hospitals"... A bunch of his patients post there and have a little support groupie going with the threads.... Check out one of the threads and ask questions....

His website address is below my signature..... Good Luck to you on your search....

Hi

I am from Michigan, self-pay and went to Tijuanna in July and had the surgery done by Dr. Ortiz. ($8500.00) Don't let anyone discourage you or tell you that Mexico is the worst place to go. These doctors are well trained, and they have been doing this surgery since 91. ten years longer that the doctors here in the US. Yes, there are some bad doctors or some who have bad reps, do your research. You better believe if someone has a bad experience, they will post it. Whether it is true or not, you have to decide and you do that by doing research. Check out their websites..........check out the forum here.....there are a lot of threads about Mexican doctors. I haven't heard much bad about Mexico and those I have, I have to wonder about. Hospitals there are just as modern and clean as those here in US and don't let anyone tell you differntly.

As for fill doctors, I didn't worry about that till I got back and needed one. I got on the phone and started calling all the bariatric surgeons within a hundred mile radius. Yes, it was time consuming. Yes, most doctors won't take you if you went to Mexico. But there are doctors out there who will do fills and do a good job. After making about 25 phone calls, I ended up with 5 different doctors I could go to for fills. I ended up chosing the nearest one (1 1/2 hour) and the cheapest. In fact, my insurance covers all but $20.98 of the fill. You research these doctors the same way you researched the Mexican doctors. I am very happy with my surgery and my fills.

Sorry this is so long, but some people make me very angry when they refuse to consider any doctor except a US doctor qualified. Just as there are bad doctors here in US, it isn't any different anywhere else. JUST DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Hello!

I live in Phoenix and went to the Weight Loss Institute in Tempe. Dr. Debarros and Dr. Orris were my doctors. Yes, it was a bit more expensive, but your price includes a 3 year post-op plan including personal training, 24 hour doctor support, on call dietitian, and all your fills are completely included. Only 0.2% of patients have had any types of issues including bruising, so those are amazing odds.

I know its more expensive, but I was willing to pay for peace of mind and experience. Of course, this way doesn't fit everyone.

Good luck with your search! Tracey

kirajh I was just curious why you went to Mexico for you LB. I was just wondering I live in Michigan also and had mine done in Pt Huron by Dr. Bhesania he and his staff are fantastic. I'm not being judgmental at all don't get me wrong it sounds like you had a great experience and I'm glad for that I'm just curious. God Bless

Rapkim

I looked into both lapband and gastric bypass surgery. My insurance would cover it if I had a ltter from my pcp, a letter from the surgeon, B

MI of 35 (comormidities?) or 40 without and a psychological evaluation. No documented diet or anything like that. WOW...way to go...right? Well, I went to a consultation, got my letters and decided on lapband. All that was left was the psych. eval. In the meantime, my anti depressents stopped working, I was falling into a deep deep depression. Felt like I was on the verge of suicide cause I just couldn't go on the way I was. Because of the depression, I flunked the evaluation. Doctor felt he couldn't recommend surgery at that time. That was the last straw. I couldn't take it. couldn't wait. Did my research (quickly) had the surgery done two weeks later. Felt great. If I had waited for insurance to approve it, I would have been dead.

Port Huron is one of the places that was willing to do fills for me and for that I am greatful but since I live in the SW corner of Livingston county, I ended up going to Hillsdale which is closest to me. Things are really going good for me now and I can honestly say that I am glad to be alive.

Kari

banded 7-16-07

Dr. Ortiz

lost 54 pounds so far

about 100 more to go

I live in Mesa and had my surgery done by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I went back to Mexico for my first fill just to make sure everything was ok with my band.

When I was down in Mexico I met a woman that also lived in AZ and she told me about Wendy Hall. Wendy does fills for Mexico patients. She works for Fill Center USA, but also does fills on the side for less. She charges $100. I decided to have her do my second fill.

I have also read on this forum that there is a Dr in Flagstaff that does fills for Mexico patients. I have never seen him but his name is Dr. Berger.

I know there are some people that think going to Mexico is a mistake. I was nervous about my decision at first, but once I got to the clinic and met Dr. Ortiz all my fears went away. I have had 3 previous surgeries and I can tell you that my experience in Mexico was 100% better than the experiences I have had in the US.

Just do your own research!

I didn't mean to be negative or to send false information. As I said, I know two people personally who have had problems after surgery in Mexico. I also know there are people who have problems after surgery in the U.S. The point was, be sure to do your research. My advice to Mellis would be not to be defensive about your decision to have surgery in Mexico just like those of us who had surgery in the U.S. shouldn't be defensive about that. She asked for advice and I believe this forum is to share information back and forth, which is what I was doing. This is a free country, everyone should feel free to have surgery in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter. I was just putting my two cents in!

Kari I know the feeling depression is like a black hole, I'm so glad your feeling better and everything is going good. Just think a whole new year a fresh start and a new you what a blessing. I wish the best and nothing but happiness for you in the future.

Kim