Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many many many questions...

Ok, so I thought instead of starting 20 threads, I'd ask many questions in one

I'm around 330, 5'6 or so, and 25 years old. Is anyone like me, if so, what is your experience with the band?

Is there anything physical you shouldn't do, that could like, cause slippage?

How can I maximize my weight loss, I'd like to lose at least 200, and frankly I don't want to wait 5 years. Anyone who has had optimal success, what did you do during to make it go so fast (I saw someone here say they lost 200 in 18 mos or something)?

If I'm all hot and sweaty, sometimes I'll just down a big glass of Water -- will I still be able to do that?

If something gets stuck, how do I get it to release?

Any other newbie tips would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

cracked pepper, i am 5'7", was 285 but was 44.5 when I got banded, so you will probably do better then i as you are younger and probably will have more energy. I have never seen anything that has said you can't move certain ways in order to avoid slippage. i have seen posts where people say becareful about not chewing your food carefully (at least 20-30 chews) as THAT could upset stomach and you could throw-up which if done too much can cause slippage. maximize weight loss...watch those calories and excercise. I drink plenty when I am thirsty but each person is different. I haqve never been able to "chug", not even Water, so for me, not much different. Never heard of anything actually getting stuck.. Sometimes it may feel like it, again, if you are rushing and don't chew properly, and that can make you throw up which I guess, right before you do, it does sort of feel like something is "stuck". Hope this helped and good luck!!!

Answers below in blue.

I'm around 330, 5'6 or so, and 25 years old. Is anyone like me, if so, what is your experience with the band? Not much (started around 380, 5'10+, 30 when banded) but our stats don't necessarily impact our band experiences. If you're mostly interested in experiences from those with similar stats, you might want to start a thread with the stats in the title, asking for others with comparable to reply. That's your best bet for getting targetted information.

Is there anything physical you shouldn't do, that could like, cause slippage? There are several factors thought to cause slippage. I believe one of the more prevalent is vomitting. Allegedly one of my surgeons' patients was diagnosed with a slip due to severe coughing, but I can't back that up, it's word of mouth.

How can I maximize my weight loss, I'd like to lose at least 200, and frankly I don't want to wait 5 years. Anyone who has had optimal success, what did you do during to make it go so fast (I saw someone here say they lost 200 in 18 mos or something)? 200 is my goal and I have about 40 left to go. What someone else shouldn't be used as a guide for what you will lose, or you might end up disappointed. :blushing: Not that you can't do it, just that you shouldnt' expect it. As for making the most if it, capitalize on the first 6 months. Most everyone I've talked with who had 200+ lbs to lose found that the weight fell off during the first 6 months, and it was an uphill battle from there.

If I'm all hot and sweaty, sometimes I'll just down a big glass of Water -- will I still be able to do that? You may have to drink slowly, a "slow chug" swallowing fully before the next mouthful is taken, perhaps. And you may not be able to do more than occasional tiny sips if you're particularly tight, but by and large thin liquids such as Water go through quickly.

If something gets stuck, how do I get it to release? Let me know when you find out!

If something is really stuck, chances are there is no release, it has to come back up. Some people have good luck with household remedies such as meat tenderizer, papaya enzymes, pineapple juice... but for me, these just sit on top of what's stuck and it's that much more to get rid of, or if I'm lucky they turn everything orange.