Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing fitting differently/buying new styles? (Low-rise is strange!)

Maybe it's just me, but I am having a hard time getting used to the differnt fits of the clothes available in ladies sizes. I am recently into a 14/16 and was given a bag of freebies from a younger, hipper friend. (I'm 30, she's 23.) The bag was filled with all kids of goodies!

Well, most of the pants were low rise. These are strange to me! My undies keep showing in the back (I am wearing a longer shirt, but what kind of panties are you supposed to wear with these things??? I have hipsters from Lane Bryant.) Also, although the pants fit well, they tend to slide down, so I need to wear a belt with them...

Is anyone familiar with these things called low rise pants and can you please give some fashion/fit/wear advise to those of us that need it (maybe just me) that are newly entering the world or ladies clothing again!

Please help if you can! :)

I hate low-rise jeans! I order a lot of clothes online and that's one of the mistakes I've made -- getting jeans that are too low. On me, if they're tight enough to stay up, they're uncomfortable and if they're not tight, they fall down.

People make fun of "Mom jeans" but I've seen very few gals who I think look good in low-rise jeans (and I teach at community college so I am surrounded by young people.) I've also wondered if those who wear them are oblivious to the fact that they're often giving the rest of us quite a view or if that's what they intended. I wonder if these same people make jokes about the plumber whose crack is showing.

I thought the style of wearing low-rise jeans with a G-string sticking out the top was over but I saw a gal doing just that at a sports bar last weekend.

In fact, low-rise jeans are apparently no longer in style: From the San Francisco Chronicle, December 9, 2007: "Thankfully, low-rise jeans (which seemingly existed solely to embarrass anyone lacking rock-hard abs) are so very last season." Learn to dress 'skinny' by choosing the right clothes

Fortunately, the few low-rise jeans I have will be too large soon. :)

I can't do super low rise. I like mid rise - just below the belly button. They are comfy but they do tend to slide down just a tad. I too have to make sure my shirt is pulled down in the back when I'm sitting or I'll be showing undies.

I only wear low-rise.. It makes my tummy pooch a lot less.

I wear bikini panties with them (from lane bryant). If you bend over, you show butt crack.. just part of it lol. I just make sure my shirts are longer than my pants, so nothing shows.

I can't help with how to wear low rise jeans...I never could. Thank God the higher rise pants are back in style. I have a long waist, so the low rise pants hit me WAY lower than they were supposed to, and right where my tummy is biggest. Not a good look, to say the least. I have stuck to a higher rise the whole time and thankfully, this is now more in style...but for me, even being out of style was better than feeling indecent.

I guess that I carry my weight differently because of past pregnancies or whatever.....but when I went from 200 pounds to the high of 287 all of my weight was in my belly and butt. So I don't do low rise well.....but I have been the elastic waisted pant lady for quite awhile.

I am so anxious to be free of them I can't tell you. I have a whole closet of size 18 and 16 clothes calling my name.........I agree with you Longhorn that the low rise pants are nasty on most people. Even the young girls who turn to them.....I find them anything but flattering.

I am from the old school try to show less and be more mysterious. I know in this day and age of Brittany and Lindsay and Paris that is hard for some to understand....LOL

I will be happy to just get back into some jeans period....I have 2 pair that I fit into now and I would say they are midrise at least. My port placement is to the left of my belly button and it is uncomfortable if anything rests on it.

Being short waisted I like a lower rise jean. Old navy has something between a the waist and low rise.

I wear those.

And I got new boy short style panties. My old grannie style don't work with those jeans.

At the waste jean nearly hit me at my bra line. Well, it feels like that!

I am have such a short torso. I remember when I was younger and skinny (through middle and high school) hating all of my pants coming up to my boobs.

I would love to have a mid-rise, just something right barely below my belly, but definately covering my butt. If I have to wear belts with every pair of pants for the rest of my teaching career to make sure my butt stays properly covered I will (haha)...at least that is what I am doing while I am wearing hand-me-downs and figuring this whole clothing thing out!

I have also noticed recently a lot of girls wearing a longer undershirt/tank and layering. I have almost always done this, but usually, you cannot see my undershirt. Their style seems to incorporate the longer tank - that seems a clever way to keep the crack covered as well! Has anyone else seen this?

:clap2:

Ahh Low rise.

aside fom me just not liking them they can cause PAIN.

Their positioning can aggravate the LFCN and cause Meralgia paresthetica. My Chiro and massage therapist told me about this.

Toolbelt wearers, jobs requiring hip holsters and lo rise jeans.....who wouldda' thunk it?

Susan

I love the layers. You are right, the bottom shirt is usually fairly long. Often the top layer is low cut. Since I have lost weight I tend to be cold so this works well for me. It is so rare that something is practical and stylish!;)

Yes, but where does one buy these shirts? The tanks that I see are not like this! Or are they just a juniors thing? I am so un-observant! Am I too old for this? Jeez! I am going to have to let one of my fashion consious friends go with me to a (UGH) store...duh!

Hey Heather- Gap and Old Navy jeans are somewhere in between true low rise and "mom" pants. Old Navy also carries tank tops which are very long and cover the Gap jeans I wear. Either it shows a little underneath my real shirt or only when I bend over which sure beats exposing my granny panties:-)))

there is a difference between low rise and ultra low rise. Ultra low rise is only for people with no love handles! Gap and old navy have a good selection of different rises and label them well.

NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE should ever wear mom jeans!! A highwaist can be ok, if the leg is not tapered. YOU must get a bootcut jean if you decide to wear a high waist.

if you do go low rise, make sure you do not have a muffin top.

muffin tops are worse than mom jeans sometimes. muffin top is when your hips and gut bulge so far over your lowrise jeans that it forms a muffin shaped mound of fat around your middle. This is a fashion faux pas.

These are the jeans rules.