Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day or Overnight?

(this question originated from a PM I received yesterday)

Just wondering....

for your surgery, did you stay overnight, or were you able to go home the same day?

I had to stay overnight, but my insurance was billed for 'day surgery'... I wasnt actually in the hospital for a full 24 hours.

I stayed overnight. I couldn't leave until late afternoon the next day because I couldn't pee. they had to cath me for a while. I went 20+ hours without peeing. and that was with all the IVs I had. Dr. said no go until you pee on your own.

Terri

I told the Doctor I wanted to go home after surgery, he preferred me to stay overnight, but said if I insisted I could go home. I decided it was easier for me to stay there and leave early the next morning, so I stayed. He has private rooms for all his patients so it wasn't bad.

Stayed overnight and glad of it because of the bariatric bar to help getting in and out of bed and being able to get pain meds through the i.v.

Overnight. No choice, my dr just required it. However, like Marie, I was glad I did just for the reassurance of having professional care. My nurses were wonderful, and from what they told me, my dr was calling to monitor me on a regular basis when he wasn't actually there.

Stayed overnight and glad of it because of the bariatric bar to help getting in and out of bed and being able to get pain meds through the i.v.

Yes, Marie - I agree 100%!

Plus Spiegel ordered (at least he used to) us to wear the inflatable boots to help prevent blood clots from forming - even though they were aggravating to wear, it was consoling.

I loved those things! They felt like a massage. But I had to get someone to "disconnect" me everytime I went to the bathroom...which was OFTEN so I finally took them off.

GOSH!!! Lots of you had to stay overnight. I talked to 1 girl that has the same Dr. as me and she said she had her surgery done that morning and was home by 7:30 that same night. Any body on the board that came home the same day of surgery????

I'm with you, Jammin'! I have my surgery on the 28th of this month and I'm scheduled for first thing in the morning. My doc told me if all goes as planned, I will be home that evening!

Come on, surely there's someone on this board that went home the same day! Y'all are making me nervous now.:nervous

Makes me nervous too daisy doodle! I think I'd rather go home same day but....I'm not at the hospital in pain yet either. No one that got to go home same day as surgery?????

I guess I could insist that I stay over night if need be!

I stayed overnight because I was so sick from the anesthesia... otherwise... they would have allowed me to go home the same day. Once I stopped heaving I couldn't wait to go home... paced the hospital hallways ALL night. I also couldn't pee until the wee hours of the morning although I was up and down a gazillion times giving it a try! I took them forever to discharge me in the morning... was feeling great at sunrise but felt like a scak of poo by the time they finally got around to letting me go... this made the 2.5 hour trip home a big bummer.

I would say... if you feel halfway human... it's much more comfortable to be at home as soon as possible. I couldn't sleep in the hospital... felt like I should go attend to all of the call lights going off and beeping IV's. ;)

You are not alone! I went home that evening. I begged to go home even though I hadn't been able to pee yet and I probably should have stayed. But I was going home with my sister who is a nurse so I just was not worried about it. And sure enough I was able to pee when I got home and I was so much happier than being in the hospital and so much more comfortable. I never had any pain, so I didn't need IV pain meds. I wouldn't worry about being scheduled for a day surgery. In fact, my surgeon now does the surgery in an outpatient surgery center. Good luck!

Nancy