Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help!!

Hey Trish,

I'm glad your feeling better about everything this morning. Actually it wasn't until after I posted my reply that I realized you weren't even banded yet. Even when I was doing my research though, I wouldn't even consider the by-passes. I have heard of too many deaths and miserable experiences (though I have also heard many postive ones too). I was sure the band would not work for me and even with that initial feeling I was determined to have it done. My family are the people who were certain it would help me. After I was banded, the 300's just flew by. I had lost 68 lbs at the time of my first fill 6 months out. That is not always typical results but hopefully it all goes fast and smoothly for you too. I find it has definitely slowed now but I am still very happy with my results. The band doctor had said I lost 15 lbs since my first fill and my fill this last week which was about 2 months. He said that was absolutely perfect and right at the norm. Best wishes to you, Teresa

Oh yeah I dont even want to consider the bypass either. Just last night they were putting me having the Lapband down so much I thought I was losing my head. Why can't we all just support eachother.... We all are going through a tough time being over weight trying to do something about it. Why can't it be no matter what WLS you have we are all still in the same boat and need support no matter what. Oh well all things aren't perfect. Im such a guppy!!!! lol

I was seriously considering RNY to the point of making a consult appointment with the surgeon. While doing research on it in the interim, I found out more about the RNY, as well as more clarity regarding the band. Several places degraded the band with statements like; "it's like tying a rope around a growing tree, eventually the stomach grows over it". That was one of the dumbest comments I heard. After telling them they were talking to a nurse, I politely suggested that I'd be more comfortable with a more knowledgeable facility.

As I searched, I found information suggesting current statistics for the RNY complication death rate is wrong, and that its suggested 1 death in 100 is more like 1 in 50. Seemed like pretty scary & high odds to me.

With my sweet tooth I realized that the 2 year window of weight loss would close and I'd probably go right back to where I started. I hated the idea of intestinal rerouting, dumping syndrome, and the cost, even with insurance, my out of pocket fees cost more than getting banded. The more I read of banding, the more comfortable it felt.

I knew in just a couple of days after joining here and reading the stories of those who'd tread before me that I could do this, and though I too feared I'd be the one it wouldn't work for, it does work for me. I don't have a single regret about getting banded, except one, like so many of us will tell you, I wish I'd done it sooner.

Biased? You bet I am. I'm a Medical/Surgical hospital nurse, I see people with all kinds of issues, including colostomies, colon resections, intestinal cancers, and even people who have had RNY. Abdominal issue patients are generally the sickest/weakest of all the patients I see.

The shape of those RNY folks is all over the spectrum. Some truly successful, some truly failed. All of those failed are seriously depressed. I can understand. For them there will be no fill adjustments to restrict more, no additional RNY surgery. Some of them can be banded though. I tell them my story if they want to know. Those who hear it wish they'd known more about the band to begin with.

RNY can be helpful, but you have to be able to do what you obviously (along with the rest of us) have not been able to do on your own, moderate and change your diet. Much of the same can be said for the band, except there's no permanent anatomy rearrangement, just a physical tool that can be adjusted (and readjusted) for the life of your band, and complete reversability.

Good Luck in your Journey, I hope whatever you decide in the end, that it is a success.

Trish, I'm glad you decided to stick with the band. It is a tough decision to make, but you are the only one who can make it. In my opinion, since babies are your goal, a healthy weightloss = a healthy body = a health baby. Best of luck to you!

Trish - I'm glad you were able to make your decision, and I think you made the best choice. I would not even consider the RYN. It just isn't worth thaking the chance for. Keep up posted on your date!

My dear Trish, I am joining this thread late, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad you joined the Extraordinary bandsters. My husband has been a member since before he was banded. I want you to know that you are NOT too big to be banded. My husband weighed 600 pounds when he got his band. Let me say that again: SIX HUNDRED POUNDS. If he could be successfully banded, then you certianly can.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on that othe board. But I think, on some level, that it was good for you to do it, since it gave you a chance to question your decision whether to have this procedure. When you question your decisions, I mean really and honestly question your decisions, you give yourself an opportunity to gain clarity of purpose.

I think what ever method you choose you will have to be commited to have it work the band is probably more work than bypass and my doctors told me you lose 50p of your excess weight that isn't satisfying to me i want to lose 100 lbs myself but I am determined and I hope the band will help me personally the bypass had to many complictions and it is permanent meaning forever your insides are gone and rearranged I am not banded yet but that is the info I got from meeting and drs. what ever method you choose hopefully the ultimate goal is to lose weight and keep it offffff.

I just had a son after losing 90 pounds with the lapband. My last fill had loosened up so I didn't get an unfill. I was willing to, if needed. I only gained about 20 pounds during the pregnancy and I felt so healthy and good. My son came out very healthy and we're all extremely happy. Now I am back on track and losing again after a fill. I would have felt very, very worried if I had had the bypass (about nutrition for the baby and all that). Having a healthy son and a fairly easy pregnancy without gaining much weight has been an unexpected side effect of the band. It has been more important than the weight loss in a lot of ways. I know without the band I would have gained over 50 or 60 pounds.

Keep the faith. People have A LOT invested in their choice of surgery (esp. when they have done something irreversible and dangerous) and will put any other surgery down. I laugh when I see some of the myths about the band on OH.

I wanted to add that my mother had a bypass and has regained her weight and is now thinking of the band.

Trish I'm so excited that you have decided to get your band and your band date is just 3 days away. I think your desicion will be the best one you ever made!!!! Congrats girl!!!!