Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love my band!

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I just have to say this: I love having a band!

I was just banded on Nov. 16 and I have lost almost 30 lbs! I haven't had a fill yet. I feel so awesome! Christmas was easy, I didn't overeat, I was asked by someone who doesn't know about my surgery if I'd lost weight! I haven't heard that in years! I can wear clothes I haven't worn in a while! I'm at my lowest weight since I got pregnant with my third child, who's now two!

Anyway, there were a lot of starchy foods at the Christmas dinners, so I was really careful about eating only a few bites of those things (potatoes, stuffing, etc.). I had only a couple bites of my favorite Desserts and mostly ate the meat.

I was talking to my dad last night about how finally, for the first time in my life, I feel like I'm in control of myself. I can finally decide what I want to eat and how much I want to eat of it. I still deal with head hunger, but not nearly as much as I did at first. At first, I thought about food ALL the time, but now that I'm on soft foods, I really don't think about food at all until I'm hungry. Wow! And I enjoy the food I do eat SO much more because I'm eating it slowly. Being banded is really changing my relationship with food and I'm so happy that it is becoming normal. :)

I'm just so happy I did this and I feel for the first time ever that I can actually succeed at losing weight. I feel like I have a chance to really take care of myself and can stop wishing that I would somehow get my act together. I know that this might prolong my life (I have health issues that precipitated this surgery). I will probably never be old because of my other health issues and I really look forward to enjoying the life I have. I even have more energy now. On Christmas, even after a long day at my parents' house, when we got home there was such a beautiful snowfall that we all bundled up and went for a walk through the neighborhood! It was something I'll never forget, being with my husband, watching our kids in their Christmas clothes and boots climbing the snowhills and just enjoying it instead of thinking about how tired I was.

I am so grateful for this band and this chance at a much healthier life than I ever could have had on my own.

Sorry this is so long, but I just had to share it with people who'd understand! :confused:

I am very happy that it is working well for you. I love reading posts like yours! We have the same mindset. :-)

It is so nice to hear people who are so happy with the band. I have my first appointment with my surgeon on the 7th Jan and it was so good to hear what you had to say.

Thanks!

Ladybug--Glad you are doing so well. I have had my band for six months now and i still love mine too.I eat healthy foods now , not junk, and i feel so much better. Donna

Bert--Congrats on your surgery tomorrow. Let us know how you do. Donna

Hi Ladybug3,

I'm glad you are doing so well. I am being banded on the 16th January (Australia) and your story convinces me that this is the right thing for me. It is great to hear stories like yours.

Saleel

Congrats. It sounds like you are going to do very well with your band. You are making wise decisions regarding your food, which means that you will do wonderful. I love my band too...it's my new best friend... :clap2:

Thanks. :eek: I just had to gush a little because my Christmas eating experience was so different than any other year. And it was great! It wasn't hard, I didn't feel deprived. I was just able to enjoy myself without all the things I used to think I needed - the mounds of potatoes, the wine, the Cookies, etc. And I wasn't exhausted by the end of the day because I hadn't loaded down my body with too much food.

My experience has been very positive. I'm sure there will be bumps ahead, but so far, I am totally happy. I think everyone should have a band! LOL!

There seems to be more and more evidence that obese people have a defective "switch" that lets us know when we've had enough food -- kind of like a faulty thermostat. Some of us have inherited it and some of ours may have gone haywire for a variety of reasons. With obesity becoming more and more of a problem, medical researchers are now finally looking for a cause instead of blaming the victims.

I've had the same feeling as you, that NOW my switch is working. It feels wonderful to stop eating and notice that I'm often the first one finished! I had lunch today with a petite, normal-weight friend of mine at our favorite Chinese restaurant. I had Kung-Pao chicken with no rice and a small eggroll. She had pepper steak with steamed rice and an eggroll. I ate about three-fourths of my entree, no more than a cup of food. She ate every bit on her plate, as I would have before my band. But I didn't feel deprived and hours later, I'm still quite satisfied.

Thanks for starting this thread and giving us a chance to share our joy! :rolleyes:

That was beautiful ladybug! I'm very happy for your new found sense of peace. Walking in the snow with your husband and children; it's doesn't get any better than that, does it?

I had my surgery scheduled today and I am getting my band on Feb. 13th. An early Valentine's present to myself!!

Marieze

I want to keep this one going. Sometimes there are so many complaints as we all get used to this new way of life. But there are some really wonderful things about it, too.

I notice how much more people eat now, too! I was out for lunch yesterday and was amazed at how much other people ate. I'm not being judgemental, because I know that I'm not eating very much, but it was still pretty amazing. We know serving sizes have gotten bigger in America. But eating a much smaller amount really makes you notice it. And I'm really horrified that *I* used to eat that much (or more!). Ugh.

I've loved walking through stores knowing that by my birthday in six months, I'll be able to wear those clothes comfortably. My dad usually takes us kids (including my cousins and SIL) shopping, but I haven't wanted to go in years because I've been so uncomfortable with myself. It's just not fun. But he already knows I expect a major shopping trip for my next birthday! I've always liked fashion and used to be really unique in my style, but that's become impossible. I used to get most of my clothes at thrift stores, not because I didn't have money, but I like vintage and offbeat things. I've become so "vanilla" since being heavy. So I'm really looking forward to discovering myself again!

And I'll have more time to discover myself, since I don't spend so much of it eating anymore! LOL!

Thanks. ;) I just had to gush a little because my Christmas eating experience was so different than any other year. And it was great! It wasn't hard, I didn't feel deprived. I was just able to enjoy myself without all the things I used to think I needed - the mounds of potatoes, the wine, the Cookies, etc. And I wasn't exhausted by the end of the day because I hadn't loaded down my body with too much food.

My experience has been very positive. I'm sure there will be bumps ahead, but so far, I am totally happy. I think everyone should have a band! LOL!

Ladybug I couldn't agree with you more.....I am only 7 weeks out and I can tell you that this was the best decision I could have ever made. I feel liberated from Overeaters Anonymous....LOL I feel for the first time ever that I am no longer controlled by food period. I am not hungry with my band......and I eat 3 ounces at a meal....no more....I am satisfied with that....LOL That would never have been me before the band......I ate platefuls of food and seconds and thirds on some things.

I feel that I am able to make sound healthy food choices and I survived the holidays by doing the same things, staying away from the carbs and sweets and eating meat and veggies.....so I am on the band wagon with YOU!!!!:clap2::clap2: