Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

there's a dance in this old dame yet

First post. And covered for lapband by Medicare (80%) supplemental insurance (20%). Some perks make up for the arthritis.

I'm in process for lapband, and have been three months working my way through a complicated pre-op testing cycle with several frustrating speed bumps.

Even though I've "sailed through" (my primary care's description) two major surgeries in past 7 years, plus one minor, the bariatric group is putting me through the wringer about heart and multiple tests, then saying that they can't get a good image because of my weight, 275. Why not proceed and help me lose more weight and have my happy heart, without subjecting me to CTscans, other nuclear tests, and such when no conclusive evidence exists that I actually have a problem??! I worry that they will keep looking until something goes wrong.

I've lost 15-20 lbs. pre-op, and am almost losing my nerve after hearing about all the problems with band and digestion post-op from sources in this area. Last thing in the world I want to do is to obsess about food and patterns and follow rigid schedules. Maybe I'm in the wrong place after all. So discouraged that I started crying when talking with my adult daughter before she left this morning.

Anyone out there with hope for me and my white hair?

The panic, and last minute nerves are very common!!!

I am not on any detailed diet, I eat what I want, when I want---some times not always the quantities I think I want, but then again, that is what got me to where I was!!! The head hunger is more of an issue than the real true hunger. Once I got some restriction, I no longer have real hunger.

There IS hope!!! Without a doubt in the world!! I love my band! The thing with these support forums is that when people get their band, and all is going well, and they have full time jobs, or are not a computer addict (like me)---they simply do not post daily. There are more posts with bandsters looking for help with an issue, because they come back looking for help! If all of us not having problems posted new threads every day, there would be page after page of threads like "Another problem free day" "Another 2 pounds GONE!", on and on. But they don't do that! We do have threads for NSV's (Non scale Victories),and we have the before and after--you should check out, it shows some amazing changes, and gives you an idea how many of us are here without issues or complications.

I am well over a year and a half out, I am almost to my original goal weight. I probably could have been there, I just have not chosen to be very tight in my band, and have opted to not diet in an effort to speed it up. Instead I have chosen to live these days like I hope to live the rest of my life. In moderation! I eat almost everything. Almost....I refuse to try to eat another glazed donut, it made me sick!!! I ate 2 bites, it felt like I ate a dozen donuts--yueeech!!!

Anytime you need encouragement, or assurance it is well worth it--let me know!! PM me, email me--whatever!

Hang out, tell us about yourself, and hang on it is an awesome ride, going Down the scale for a change!!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Kat,

You really made my day! I got your link by email, and have had computer problems, so only now got back into this forum. Even doing this is a new thing for me. I've been very computer saavy and use all digital for my photography, but believe it or not, never used a forum until now.

I think it will be very important to have a community after getting my band, and thank you thank you for the support. You are expert in something that I just imagine, living the "new life". Great point about the impression of lots of problems with bands, because most of us don't stop and say I just had a very wonderful totally normal day.

Good news! the cardiologist called this afternoon and said that "they" have talked and decided that I probably don't have a problem, since I have no symptoms and aced the exercise stress test. It was just that the nuclear imaging was fuzzy, and then the next test was fuzzy, and well, maybe we'd better be cautious and take more tests. Stop. That's done. IF I have heart symptoms, I'll call the cardiologist and we'll check it out then.

Whew. It's been a roller-coaster ride for three months now, and I thought I was ready for surgery in October. It's the unreal reality that is still haunting me, wondering what my life will be like, wondering if I will fail, wondering if the meal restrictions will be something I can adopt and accept, wondering if this excess weight is super-glued to my muscles forever, or will I be able to gracefully shed it?

It's metaphysical, thinking about losing weight, thinking about where the essential self is located (definately not in big thighs and my belly). So, I can be my same self, with more energy, comfort, and able to wear those clothes from the back of the closet. Rearrange, shuffle, adapt, improve. I'll think about the image of letting go of my extra blankets, no longer needed. I'll thinks of pruning the bushes (a favorite in good weather) back to the elemental essential structure. I'm going back to basics!

Again, thank you for the warm welcome and cup of courage, as well as common sense. Stay in touch--

Glad to hear your cardiology appointment went well. We have had lots of experience with them here lately, my DH had to have heart surgery to repair a valve. And I am taking my Dad to see his cardiologist tomorrow to schedule carotid artery surgery again. Hopefully then it will be over for awhile!!!

It is more difficult than I expected to see yourself differently as the weight comes off. I remember when I realized how huge I had gotten! I caught sight of myself in a mirror in the mall! I was horrified--I did not realize it was me, I honestly thought the fat lady had a shirt like me and that alone embarassed me, imagine when I realized it WAS me! I had bought the bigger clothes, and lived with the fat on my body day in and day out, but still "saw" myself as normal. Til that fateful day in the mall. Now I find myself doing similar things in reverse. I see something clothing wise I like, and I still insist on trying on the 2X minimally. I still feel like people see me as fat. I do things that shock myself! Today I was spraying down the stove top, and was afraid I would ruin my shirt, so I grabbed an old apron of my Moms----and for years the only way I could ever tie it was behind me. Today for some reason I flashed back to my highschool retail days, and wrapped the ties around and tied them in the front. When I realized I could do that it almost reduced me to tears!!! When I took it off, I retied it, and looked at it---it was a wonderful NSV.....

Next time you are in the store, walk over to the potatoes, or the dog food and pick up a 20 pound bag....and just think you have already lost that---and look at the 50 pound bag, and tell it you will be back!!!

Well, I am off to bed, the trip to take Dad to the Dr. will be an all day adventure in snow packed roads!

Kat

When I was going through with my pre-op testing of the EKG, chest x-ray and bloodwork ( this is typically done within 30 days before scheduled surgery) my EKG was abnormal. I never had an abnormal EKG and now I have to have this right before surgery? I was so nervous it would hold up the surgery and of course afraid I might have a heart problem.

I was sent for pet scan and turns out everything was fine. My surgery went as planned.

Why not ask if there is a different test they can do on your heart? Maybe they can get clear images and not fuzzy from a different test.

We can't blame surgeons for being careful not to operate on someone that potentially has a serious heart condition.

Please know that all the self doubts are the same ones almost everyone on this forum also experienced before their surgery.

We all have failed so many times before, that we have no confidence in ourselves or the band, that it will work. But look at all the success stories here on the forum.

I am one month post-op and I have finally acheived a weight that I haven't been at for over ten years and that was without a pre-op liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery.

I still have a long way to go and I continue to worry if I will be able to maintain the weight loss once I lose it, but I also know those doubts are normal. At least this time, I believe I can lose the weight and I will work on keeping it off once I get it off.

It always helps me to read the weight loss tickers of others. I know these are people that struggled just like I did and now they are being successful.

The only "older patient" advice I can give you, is to expect that possibly the weight will come off a little slower than it might for someone younger.

We (I am 56) are older, generally less active, female etc. and you might not bounce back after the surgery as fast as some of the younger people. I really felt kind of lousy for the first four days, mostly from the gas pains. I was also not hungry during that time and had a hard time getting the fluids in.

By day 5 things improved and the pain started to get better and I was able to start getting my liquids in.

I had no trouble over the christmas holiday sticking to my post op diet requirements. My BIL makes stuffed cabbage every year and I just took the inside of one out and ate 1/2 of that. I added a few bites of potato salad and a few bites of a jello/coolwhip type salad. I also had two shrimp cocktail. I drank special K Protein Water instead of wine and skipped dessert.

I am not yet fully restricted with fills and so I still have that phase of "fills and restriction and then another fill" to go through.

I highly recommend you read the thread by Wendell about fills and how the band works. It's on the main page or you can do a search on the forum. That really helped me to understand the fill process.

My last bit of advice is to "follow the band rules". Follow your Dr's instructions and remember the band is just a tool. You will have to be the leader of your band. It will not magically work without your cooperation and leadership. A hammer is a tool, but it cannot do it's job unless we use it right.

Happy Lapband journey to you.

I have to agree with both Kat and shortgal. In fact, I could have written Kat's response. I know exactly what she is talking about. I was banded in July and so far I have lost 54 pounds but I can't see where. I never really thought I was that big until one day......it hit me. Now I only see that fat old grandma in the mirror. Aiming to lose another 80 to 90 pounds and maybe then I can see a difference.

Hi everyone, Happy New Year! All of you are inspirational, and thanks for all the kind works written. I just turned 56 yesterday, and my husband is 57. On Jan. 8th we are both having the lap band done in Mexico because insurance wants to waste too much precious time, and then still say no. We figured what ever it took to do this, it will be worth it. There is nothing more precious than our lives, so it will be the best investment we could make. So looking forward to this next chapter in our lives.

Happy new year to all

Dear Friends,

Thank you all for the much needed support and cheering squad. I got past the heart test hurdle -- the docs talked and decided that since I have no symptoms of heart disease and aced the exercise test that we would proceed, even though there were those ambigious fuzzy tests. I will call tomorrow to make apt. with the surgeon, and then with him, to set a date for my band.

Sounds a bit like bird banding --

Kat -- I hope all is well with your family now. In 2004 my daughter had her aortic valve replaced just one month after my major abdominal reconstruction -- with the help of friends and angels who showed up just when we most needed them.

shortgal -- thanks for your encouragement too. It is different when we are older, but I figure I'm tough and tenacious and will triumph in this challenge too. I'm finding it hard to hold my weight steady and not gain while waiting, noshing, telling myself no more "one last time" -- but I will hang in, tough tenacious and will triumph!! Did I tell you I'm 65 and on Medicare now? when I got that card, I was surprised to feel proud of it, like an achievement.

kirajh -- I'm glad to meet you and appreciate your story and support. We dames, or Grande Dames, if one prefers, are a fantastic group and can be there for one another.

fat&thrifty -- it's nice to hear from you and wish you well in the journey ahead. In fact, you may be on the road today?

For all reading as well as responding, Happy Bright New Year -- with love and celebrations and good work to do ahead. Blessings for us all!

Weedwoman

surgery sometime in January!!