Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I changed my mind...

I was banded on Nov 12th and am scheduled for my first fill on the 2nd of January. I had been thinking that I would tell my doctor that I didn't want the fill, because I really haven't been hungry and have not had any problems sticking to the diet. I've been loosing fairly well, so I figured I wouldn't mess with success.

That was before Xmas dinner. Whoops! I had about 1900 calories yesterday - with probably 1300 coming between 7:30 and 8:30 pm. Wow, I had prime rib, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and salad. Not as much as other people, mind you, but it still blew my 900 to 1000-calorie daily average right out the window. As a one-time slip, I am not too worried; but, since I didn't feel any restriction at all during the whole episode of piggery, I started worrying for the future.

So, I think I am going to get that fill on January 2. Even if my Xmas dinner was a isolated incident, it will probably be good to know that I have some sort of internal "limit". Until now, I figured I did and just hadn't ever tested it. Now that my devious mind knows I don't, I am sure it will be whispering in my ear "just eat a few more bites." Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I kind of went through the same thing back in Oct.

We went on vacation 2 months after my surgery. I'd lost 45lbs and was feeling great! I hadn't tried a lot of the "no-no" foods like bread, steak, chips, etc. On vacation the flood gates opened and I realized I can eat ANYTHING! And I did – lol!!

2 weeks after vacation I had a doctor's appointment and begged for my first fill. My doctor is conservative and since I had been loosing consistently, didn't want to give me a fill but they gave in.

I got 2cc's in my 10cc band and physically it did nothing for me but mentally I think it helped. It made me feel better to get it over with, since I was a little nervous about the fill process and I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Plus, worrying about damaging my band really keeps my eating in check.

Here I am 4 months later, still with only 2cc's and no restriction. I have not had a back slide and still been loosing very consistently. It's starting to slow down but I expected that.

My next appointment is in Jan and since we're going on another vacation a few days later, I know they won't give me a fill. I'm going to re-visit thinking about a 2nd fill for my Feb appointment.

Bottom line - don't panic. Just keep doing what you've been doing! Be glad that you have been successful without really using the band too much and know that it's there for you when you need it. Personally, I think I’m just going to stay on this track for as long as I can. It's nice to not have to worry about PB's, sliming, my fill level being too tight or too loose, etc ...

Yes, it is time for a fill. I am jealous however. I really missed pigging out! Good luck.

THAT made me laugh, because sometimes I miss it too. This summer, I wanted SO badly to eat a whole hamburger, bun and all. But alas, my bands stopped me, thank goodness.

So when I miss pigging out, I just put on my size 11 pants and feel thankful that I can't.

Foofy, I am a believer that if you are happy and losing weight, then your fill is just right. But if you are not losing and need help, get a fill.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

You may want a fill, or maybe not.

Was this an isolated event? Are you still over board on the calories?

I’m in the same boat right now, (my first fill appointment is approaching). It sounds like some major changes in eating habits will come after our first fill. And it also sounds like we are in for some significant complications. Obviously we have to achieve the weight loss goals. My feeling is that the least amount of restriction we can take on, the closest to a normal life we will have.

That said, a buddy told me that (give or take) our bodies require about 10 kCal per pound per day. We are metabolically depressed so we are probably under that, but it is an easy figure for us to do the math. You had 1900 kcalories, enough energy for a 190-pound person (roughly). It seems to me that you were still ahead of the game, even on your worst day.

I did not get to my size by eating 1900 kcals per day. I got this big by eating 4,000, 5,000 some time 6,000 kcalories per day (and I enjoyed it). But our heath dictates that we return to a normal BMI. In conclusion I would not be getting down about a single event, I’d consider the whole process. For the most part are you near the 1,000 kcal per day? Are you able to reduce your weight by 2 to 4 pounds each week?

These systematic questions are good reasons, not holiday events.

That's how I am. Without GOOD restriction my good intentions don't mean much. I know I can binge and will.

With good restriction even when I want to be naughty the band is there to make it impossible.

I definitely need another fill... I can't believe how much I can eat at the moment... I scare myself. I am going to call my surgeon's office as soon as they are back from their break to get an appointment. I have one on 23 Jan but that's just too far away. Do you know how much damage one can do in that time?? :omg::faint::)

Thanks for all the info folks. You all brought up good points that I was hasing around in the old bean.

I went in today for my followup, and my surgeon talked me into the fill. He put in 3 ccs and then had me drink Water. I got about 3 swallows down, and then no more would go. He thought maybe I had an air bubble (because he was surprised about that reaction from 3ccs). After a few minutes of waiting and me making urping noises, he decided to pull out 1 cc. After that, the Water went down just fine.

I haven't tried eating anything (supposed to do liquids for a day or two) but I noticed that the SlimFast I drank on the drive home seemed to fill me up pretty quickly. Hopefully, this will keep me from eating a whle steak, but will still let me eat real food.

BTW, he says that starting a couple months ago, the sizing of bands switched. There are now two sizes. I have something called a "standard band" which is actually bigger than a 10cc band. That's why he was surpised that the 3ccs was too much for me. However, I have a really big omentum (internal body fat deposit, so it is probably impacting the band). He says I am built like a man (great for my ego) with fat in my abdomen instead on my hips and thighs.

That's it for now! Happy 2008.