Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there!

I am scheduled to have the gastric sleeve mid January 2025. I have done my research and completely understand the procedure and the physical side of it all. I was wondering how you cope emotionally with such a big change, especially for those that are so used to using food for comfort as I am. I've heard some say that since the ghrelin hormonal gland was removed from the stomach they never felt hungry and no longer think of food in the same way. I have also heard people say they are hungry all the time. I am expecting a whirlwind of emotions and I know it will not be easy. I'm just looking for some examples of your experiences, especially on emotional eating .

How did/do you cope?

Do you have/need coping mechanisms in place- if so what?

Does it get easier?

Do you have any helpful advice for a newbie like me?

Thank you so much for your time guys x

39 minutes ago, Bessieboop1981 said:

Hi there!

I am scheduled to have the gastric sleeve mid January 2025. I have done my research and completely understand the procedure and the physical side of it all. I was wondering how you cope emotionally with such a big change, especially for those that are so used to using food for comfort as I am. I've heard some say that since the ghrelin hormonal gland was removed from the stomach they never felt hungry and no longer think of food in the same way. I have also heard people say they are hungry all the time. I am expecting a whirlwind of emotions and I know it will not be easy. I'm just looking for some examples of your experiences, especially on emotional eating .

How did/do you cope?

Do you have/need coping mechanisms in place- if so what?

Does it get easier?

Do you have any helpful advice for a newbie like me?

Thank you so much for your time guys x

I don't know if any of this will be helpful but, I'm three weeks post gastric sleeve. I wasn't hungry for the first 2 weeks. Today, I'm feeling a bit hungry but, as I'm still not able to eat anything but purees or Soups and only about 4 tablespoons in one sitting. After surgery, the last thing you think about is food for the first week. I went the NHS route so a psychologist will be in touch at the 3 month mark I believe so I guess time will tell what support I will need. Personally, I think the psychologist should be involved from Day One, but that's just me. I also had 12 weeks of pre-op diet so I feel like I had to give up my coping strategy cold turkey.

At this point, I just want solid food. Not like the old "I need comfort/I'm bored" type of eating, just different head hunger. It's definitely true you think of food differently. Now I think food is an inconvenience. Having to set a timer to remind me to get something other than Water in my system is a different feeling. I never had to force myself to eat before.

You mentioned your surgery is January 2025 so you will still have a few months I would use that time to see if you can find a therapist or a support group.

And yes, it does get easier. For me it's going slowly, but it is still getting easier day by day.

This is very helpful thank you so much Neon raven x

Edited by Bessieboop1981

I have always cooked 99% of our family meals. They were healthy and full of vegetables. My problem is because I love my own cooking. I would eat a huge amount especially carbs. Oh and butter...... Oh and chocolate .......

I took me a long time to be able to eat solids after surgery, I had a swollen internal scar so I had to stick to liquids. Once my restriction kicked in at about 8 weeks I could eat soft meats and some vegetables. After that I could run with it

At about 2 years out, I tried carbs again and could eat a tablespoon of rice, noodles or a slice of good seeded bread. I have left them off my menu so long that eating meals without a pile of them is no big deal. I don't miss the over stuffed feeling. I can't say this will last forever but I intend to keep a check on my calories because I am the skinny person I always wanted to be. I still have butter and chocolate in small amounts. I will watch that.

I’m still fairly new to the game (only 8 weeks out from sleeve surgery), but I look at it as I have invested a lot of money, time and energy into this surgery and so I want to make good choices now. I don’t want the money and hard work to go to waste. I am losing slowly but it’s still rewarding to see the pounds drop on the scale and it makes me want to keep making good choices.