Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for incorporating Seeds.

Not sure why that posted three times but it won’t let me delete it. Gotta love technology.

8 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

So a green smoothie I assume uses kale or spinach?? You add fruit too roght?? I used to make strawberry bananas for strawberry and blueberries smoothies with a bit of Splenda. I never did try the green ones

Yeah, I usually use spinach along with frozen fruit. I don't notice the spinach much and it's a nice way to get in some veg.

oatmeal, rolled oats & porridge are the same thing. Just a culturally differently named food. And I eat them every day. I eat traditional oats. Initially after surgery I was advised instant which are a little more processed then I transitioned to traditional. (Check the ingredients on your pack if it’s just oats your fine.) Then add your own flavours. I add yoghurt, collagen powder, dried cranberries, fresh blueberries and yes seeds.

Otherwise seeds on yoghurt or in salads are good too. You could sprinkle them on anything you may use breadcrumbs too like a cauliflower gratin or add them to any crumb mix for breaded whatever. Try mixing some in your meatballs or meat loaf for a little crunch.

PS. I’ve noticed a few influences being anti oats (probably either being paid to promote an alternative likely a supplement or are pro keto) but they’re fibre & fibre is good for you. It’s filling, helps you poop, can help reduce cholesterol so is good for cardiac health, can help regulate blood sugars, can lower risk of stomach cancer.

8 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Oh so you use oats??

Yes

What I've done as well with my porridge is cook it up and then add a scoop or half a scoop of Protein Powder. (Only on days when I was pretty sure I wouldn't get my Protein in pre-op) Porridge with small chunks of apple and then Myprotein Salted caramel tastes really nice.

Edited by NeonRaven8919

Also if you're going to put Protein Powder in porridge, do it after it's cooked. If the Protein powder cooks, the taste is just off.

I make a very similar mix for my kids and I top their oatmeal with it, sometimes even their pancakes. I mix it with raw cocoa powder and it makes oatmeal much more fun to eat. You can also top your yogurt with it with some berries.

Edited by Lilia_90

7 hours ago, Arabesque said:

oatmeal, rolled oats & porridge are the same thing. Just a culturally differently named food. And I eat them every day. I eat traditional oats. Initially after surgery I was advised instant which are a little more processed then I transitioned to traditional. (Check the ingredients on your pack if it’s just oats your fine.) Then add your own flavours. I add yoghurt, collagen powder, dried cranberries, fresh blueberries and yes seeds.

Otherwise seeds on yoghurt or in salads are good too. You could sprinkle them on anything you may use breadcrumbs too like a cauliflower gratin or add them to any crumb mix for breaded whatever. Try mixing some in your meatballs or meat loaf for a little crunch.

PS. I’ve noticed a few influences being anti oats (probably either being paid to promote an alternative likely a supplement or are pro keto) but they’re fibre & fibre is good for you. It’s filling, helps you poop, can help reduce cholesterol so is good for cardiac health, can help regulate blood sugars, can lower risk of stomach cancer.

Oh, perfect timing. I’m picking up my ground turkey today to make turkey meatballs one day this week. I plan to double the recipe this time because my hubby likes them too and I intend to freeze a bunch. I think I’m going to make half with seeds and half without just in case we don’t love the crunch. Sounds good though.

9 hours ago, NickelChip said:

Yeah, I usually use spinach along with frozen fruit. I don't notice the spinach much and it's a nice way to get in some veg.

Thanks. will be trying that I have a bunch of blueberries that need to be used.

2 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

What I've done as well with my porridge is cook it up and then add a scoop or half a scoop of Protein Powder. (Only on days when I was pretty sure I wouldn't get my Protein in pre-op) Porridge with small chunks of apple and then Myprotein Salted caramel tastes really nice.

That’s a great idea. I have the unflavored on top of my fridge. I almost forgot about it.

24 minutes ago, Lilia_90 said:

I make a very similar mix for my kids and I top their oatmeal with it, sometimes even their pancakes. I mix it with raw cocoa powder and it makes oatmeal much more fun to eat. You can also top your yogurt with it with some berries.

Lucky kids to be growing up tasting healthier options. I know firsthand that those habits are difficult to change.

So many great ideas. I knew that I would get answers here. Thanks everyone. 😊

Edited by ShoppGirl

An option not mentioned here is to mix with almond flour, low fat cheese, and egg whites to make seeded crackers. Really good with Soups, salads, or dips like hummus.

17 minutes ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

An option not mentioned here is to mix with almond flour, low fat cheese, and egg whites to make seeded crackers. Really good with Soups, salads, or dips like hummus.

I would love to try this recipe. Do you have the full recipe ?

22 minutes ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

Oh that sounds good. So I googled and found one recipe tbat omits the egg and a couple with more spices added, but they have oil. What are the measurements? And what temp do you bake them? I recently got a rotary cheese grater so I have been all about trying different cheeses. These sound great.