Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op and feeling scared about never having favorite foods again

Hi all! New to the forum and this site. So, I just had roux en y gastric bypass on Monday, and I'm feeling a bit lost, scared, and anxious. I'm so worried I'll never be able to enjoy some of my favorite foods again. I guess I didn't realize that gastric bypass was so restrictive. My Dr recommend it because I have trouble with heartburn and said this would be a good option. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement - if I know I can have some of my favorite foods at some point down the road, I'd feel a lot better, but everything I look up seems like I can never eat again. Do any of you have experience eating any of the following foods sparingly, or are they gone from my life forever? Tacos, mac and cheese, ice cream, chips and queso or guac, falafel, pad thai? Please know I am aware these are not healthful food choices and my love for these foods got me to where I am today, but can I ever eat them again in any capacity? Thanks for your kindness to this emotionally struggling newbie. I'm scared I made the wrong choice and just reaching out to the void for people who have experienced these panicky feelings. Thanks!

Do people eventually incorporate some of their old favourites back into their eating? Yes, they do but how much & how often is always considered. Some work out, find recipes or find alternatives that are healthier, more nutrient dense versions of that food. There are some who can’t eat some of their favourites. For example they may dump on sugar which would rule out ice cream. Or certain foods sit more heavily in their tummy. Like I don’t eat breads, Pasta, rice for that reason. And some choose simply not to because of changes they’ve made to eating style. Like I chose to rarely eat sugar & sweet foods. Some develop food sensitivities , lactose seems to be the most common one. For some it passes but for others they just avoid it by selecting lactose free or plant-based alternatives.

Do I eat some of what I would consider less better/healthy favourites? Sure. I had Chinese takeaway last weekend just no rice and braised chicken not battered & deep fried. Earlier this year we had fish & chips so I ordered grilled fish & salad. So I try to make better choices in those situations.

You know you best and if consuming those old favourites will lead you back down a path of excess & regain or not. Or if you can manage your consumption.

Of course you may discover new favourite foods along the way & your old favourites may not have the same old pull they did.

All the best.

PS: You’re going through a very stressful time (emotionally & physically). If you were someone who ate to sooth & comfort yourself during times of turmoil, you may find your craving for those old favourites much stronger. Remind yourself why you're doing this. Do something to distract yourself. And remember it does get easier as you progress.

PPS: Check out the food before & after thread to see some of the foods people eat. Note how far post surgery they are, their portion sizes & how often they eat certain foods.

Edited by Arabesque

All food restrictions will be lifted once you're a few months out. There's nothing you won't be allowed to eat, but you'll need to be mindful of calories, portion size, and nutrition from here on out, otherwise you'll be at risk of gaining the weight back. I eat all of those things you mentioned..just in moderation (and some of them, I don't eat very often).. Do I ever splurge? Yes - but not often, and I'm right back at it the next day.

honestly, many of my never-been-obese women friends eat the same way - they watch their portion sizes and don't splurge or eat really high-calorie or unhealthy things very often - just occasionally.

Edited by catwoman7