Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband to gastric bypass

I had a lap band placed in 2013 and ended up having it removed here in January. It up getting infected. Thankfully no erosion and just some scar tissue. The surgery to remove it was miserable for me tbh but at that time i started the process to revising from band to bypass. Thankfully that went through without a hitch and I had surgery on the 2nd of October.

Initially with the band I lost over 100 lbs very quickly and felt so good. Went from 305 down to around 200. About a year after the band was placed I got my gallbladder out and I feel like that is when things kind of took a turn for me. I ended up having issues with the band so I just removed all the Fluid after a year or so and just coasted through life with the thing. Things still getting stuck with it empty. Ended up gaining all my weight back and then some.

Anyway, I just got the bypass on the 2nd and I am just overwhelmed with fear of not losing enough with the bypass as well as regain. Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences? On the pre op diet I lost 15 lbs and I have lost about 17 since surgery. I am almost 3 weeks. I read about people losing 30-40 right away. I worry im not on track even though I feel as if im doing well. I dont have any pain, my energy is good, i havnt puked at all since surgery (still on full liquids) and overall things seem to be doing well. I do need to up my Protein (60-70 grams a day) but am able to get my fluids in. Time will tell I guess but would love to hear about others experiences.

Thanks

Brittany

OMG please do not compare yourself to anyone else, its the road to ruin. This is not a quick fix, it may take over a year to loose your extra weight. My journey took nearly 3 years. If you stick at the program you will get to the weight of your dreams.

Everyone who does this surgery has a different regime to follow. Some can have solids straight away, some have liquids for 4 weeks then puree for 2 weeks. Some eat low calorie, zero sugar, zero fat etc Some of us [me] eat full fat. Some have Carbs, some of us don't [me] Some exercise, some don't.

What I am trying to say is don't try to compare to the unknown. You are doing amazing. Right on track. Follow your teams regime. You are just beginning. Slow and steady wins this race.

Any time now you may have a fright when you don't loose anything, your body needs these stalls to regroup.

I’m going to reiterate the above poster, you honestly can’t compare yourself to others. My tweak is that you might not get to “the weight of your dreams.” As an older post menopausal woman I am a powerhouse of strength that lives quite comfortably on 800-1000 kcals a day and still weighs roughly 200lbs at 5’4”. I honestly can’t eat less food or risk malnutrition. I work an extremely strenuous job physically with severely disabled children. I wear size 16-18 American bottoms and size large or size 14-16 tops, large dresses. The only things that jiggle is leftover skin. I know I’m one injury away from switching to general education kids, but I’m living life full throttle and enjoying it!

So, you are doing awesome work! Keep following your plan and taking care of yourself. You’re way younger than me so you have an honest shot at getting all the way down.

BUT, who you are isn’t determined by how much you weigh. Are you staring down diabetes anymore? Are you pursuing your life goals, career goals, kindness to self goals? Are you involved in real life relationships and groups? Just from your post I can tell you are a caring person that works hard to make things better. Keep going! (Therapy helps you see fabulous you too.)

Learn2cook I am a nurse so I work a busy job as well. I have many goals such as becoming financially free, living a more sustainable life and finding a life partner at some point to name a few.

As far as my health and fitness goals, I want to be strong. I want to be able to hike, and raft rivers and adventure. I dont want to be hindered by my weight anymore. I dont need to be skinny but i do what to be somewhat a normal weight. Before surgery I did try waygovy and was working out a lot so I was pretty optimized prior to surgery however i didnt lose a ton of weight with waygovy despite tracking and trying to be really mindful. My bariatric surgeon basically told me the indicator of my success is how much i can shed in the first year so i am determined.

I am just hoping to get some feedback for people who have had a band before and went for revision.

Thanks for your sincere reply

Brittany