Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally on the other side!

I'm finally on the other side of the surgery!

I'm abou 10 hours post-op! I've never been so thirsty in my entire life, but otherwise I'm doing OK. I'm in some pain when I try to stand op and I sipped Water too fast so that cause some pain, but I don't have any regrets! This is the beginning! I'm so ready!

So glad for you! Check in often? Can’t wait to hear any updates!

Great news, keep doing what you are doing. You are in the toughest few weeks with so much to re learn, go slow. Be kind to yourself, dont compare yourself to anyone else. Sermon over

So glad you’ve come through the op OK and have now started this next part of your WLS journey 🥰

I keep getting weird twinges in my stomach and I hiccuped and apst wanted to die from the pain, but I'm in good spirits. Just waiting to be discharged now.

So now I'm 2 days post op and struggling with taking all the medications. The forceval Multi-Vitamin just "forced-it-all up" and that was the most painful experience I've had in a long time. I also find that I'm not hungry at all so getting up to make Soup or something seems like a chore. Any advice?

17 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I keep getting weird twinges in my stomach and I hiccuped and apst wanted to die from the pain,

This is a spasm, try drinking warm fluids, cold drinks sometimes trigger this. Keep on top of your pain meds.

1 hour ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

The forceval Multi-Vitamin just "forced-it-all up" and that was the most painful experience I've had in a long time.

There were Vitamins that I couldn't take especially ones with Iron in. My team were ok with me getting iron free ones. Your poor tiny stomach literally doesnt know what has hit it at this time. Its tiny and very swollen. Very little can get through it.

I also find that I'm not hungry at all so getting up to make Soup or something seems like a chore. Any advice?

My team were ok with me not attaing my Protein goals as long as I could keep trying to get in my liquids. Hopefully you will not be hungry for a long time. When you have mastered drinking, you can begin to find your way around eating. I could eat a tiny amount every 3 hours. I had to force myself because you can get very weak otherwise. It was a strange feeling for sure.

Getting up does kinda seem like a chore when it’s painful and you’re not hungry or thirsty anyways but it’s good to get up to avoid possibility of blood clots. When you do get up try walking a bit further than just to the kitchen too. You will see that you can do a bit more each day. Don’t rush it, of course but do get up enough to prevent clots. My goal was every hour but if I’m being honest I didn’t quite make that. Also, don’t forget to do your spirometer thing. The walking, spirometer and fluids should be the priority. Protein and Vitamins are important but not nearly as important as the others. Take each day at a time this first couple of weeks. You will get in your groove soon enough.

Edited by ShoppGirl

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Getting up does kinda seem like a chore when it’s painful and you’re not hungry or thirsty anyways but it’s good to get up to avoid possibility of blood clots. When you do get up try walking a bit further than just to the kitchen too. You will see that you can do a bit more each day. Don’t rush it, of course but do get up enough to prevent clots. My goal was every hour but if I’m being honest I didn’t quite make that. Also, don’t forget to do your spirometer thing. The walking, spirometer and fluids should be the priority. Protein and Vitamins are important but not nearly as important as the others. Take each day at a time this first couple of weeks. You will get in your groove soon enough.

I don't have a spirometer thing but I have been getting up in between naps. Mostly to pee. I think I will have to start taking a laxative soon too.

I don't have a spirometer thing but I have been getting up in between naps. Mostly to pee. I think I will have to start taking a laxative soon too.

Oh yea. Take that sooner rather than later. Better to have it too loose or often then to get real constipated. My team had us start on stool softeners twice a day as a preventative and take milk of magnesia as needed. Straining can really hurt you right now so better to be on the safe side.

I don’t start taking my Vitamins until 2 weeks later and then just add each one at a time period. NeonRaven8919: no gas pain? If not how great!

1 hour ago, RuizAyres said:

I don’t start taking my Vitamins until 2 weeks later and then just add each one at a time period. NeonRaven8919: no gas pain? If not how great!

I've been burping and farting so I think the gas isn't trapped athough I decided to take the lactulose now to try and nip the Constipation in the bud now. The most "pleasant" meds that I take have been the lactulose and the blood thinning subcutaneous injections. Everything else has made me feel awful or tasted bad and made me want to sip Water which I can't do right after the meds. My favourite Vieve Protein Water still tastes good to me so I'm trying to switch between sips of that and regular water too. Since the Multivitamin made me throw up, my team said I can try a two a day chewable instead and see if that helps, but like everyone else said, just prioritise fluids and protein if possible.

I also haven't stepped in the scale since I got out of surgery. For the first time in 3 months, I don't really care about number on the scale, I just want to get through the painful parts of the recovery and then check the numbers.

On 10/7/2024 at 7:18 PM, NeonRaven8919 said:

I'm finally on the other side of the surgery!

I'm abou 10 hours post-op! I've never been so thirsty in my entire life, but otherwise I'm doing OK. I'm in some pain when I try to stand op and I sipped Water too fast so that cause some pain, but I don't have any regrets! This is the beginning! I'm so ready!

The belly binder was everything for me after surgery! It kept the pain at bay!

6 hours ago, Mspretty86 said:

The belly binder was everything for me after surgery! It kept the pain at bay!

Ohhh! Thanks for the tip! I'm trying to avoid pain meds, not because I want to be a martyr or a hero, it's just that the pain medications make for a very unpleasant experience. They sent me home woth liquid paracetamol, liquid ibuprofen and dihydrocodeine. But I'm not sure when I'm supposed out to take which. And liquid meds make me lose the will to live if they taste awful.