Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N California Kaiser patients

Hello - for anyone who has gone through the northern California Kaiser bariatric program, how are you handling the diet post op? It is very strict, not allowing any Protein Shakes, carbonated drinks, caffeine and alcohol. We’re also taught that we have to eat our meals deconstructed, eating all the Protein first before anything else. I’ve asked the nutritionist if this was forever and she said yes it is.

I keep, however, seeing videos and post from other people who have coffee daily and who make meals like for example, the ricotta cheese bites where everything is mixed in a small muffin pan. I understand different programs do things differently, it’s just strange to me because it’s the same surgery everywhere.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Not that uncommon and comparatively not more strict. There are variations between surgeons and surgeries with many of these things. Sometimes it’s also related to you, your health, how much weight you have to lose, your relationship with food, etc,

Not being allowed carbonated drinks is common. The differences arise in length of time of this avoidance and then whether you can tolerate it. Also you may be allowed sparkling Water that you let go flat a bit but not sodas. Same with alcohol avoidance but there are three main reasons often behind this. One is concern for addiction transfer which can occur after weight loss surgery. Secondly, alcohol is calorie dense and offers no nutrients which are vital while we are losing and eating small portions and lastly it will slow your metabolism & dehydrate you. Again some surgeons just put a time frame on it but it does depend on your surgery too. Caffeine is another thing that is allowed by some surgeons and not by others and again there can be differences in for how long you should avoid it.

Deconstructing meals is not a forever thing. Certainly while losing, focussing on eating the Protein component of your meal first is very important. If you are able after you’ve eaten the protein in your meal. you then can eat your vegetables then any carbs you are allowed. (There were many times I could only eat my protein at a meal and nothing else.) This is because of the small portions we can eat initially & the necessity of getting that protein in to meet your protein goals. It does make tracking your food much easier too. When you near your goal, and are eating larger portions, it’s not as important to eat your protein first but you must continue to hit your protein goals forever so it will be something of which you are aware when you’re eating. In saying that I often ate Soups, stews & casserole type dishes, omelettes, etc. which combined protein & vegetables while losing but not every meal and not every day.

Actually not allowing Protein Shakes is also not uncommon. For example, in the UK, many aren’t allowed protein shakes in the pre surgery diet (they drink milk instead). Protein shakes aren’t the sole source of protein & nutrients in that first stage after surgery. Bone broths, consommés and cream soups are also options. Thank goodness too because after surgery those protein shakes can be disgusting. I found them unpleasantly grainy and crazy sweet & struggled to drink one a day.

Best advice is to follow your plan while you are losing.However, if you find it difficult to tolerate your food options or to reach your goals ask for alternatives that will allow you to still meet protein goals & other nutrient requirements within any calorie guidelines you are given. How and what you eat once your weight has stabilised is up to you, what you’ve learnt about your eating and relationship with food and if it allows you to maintain a lower and healthier weight & lifestyle.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Not that uncommon and comparatively not more strict. There are variations between surgeons and surgeries with many of these things. Sometimes it’s also related to you, your health, how much weight you have to lose, your relationship with food, etc,

Not being allowed carbonated drinks is common. The differences arise in length of time of this avoidance and then whether you can tolerate it. Also you may be allowed sparkling Water that you let go flat a bit but not sodas. Same with alcohol avoidance but there are three main reasons often behind this. One is concern for addiction transfer which can occur after weight loss surgery. Secondly, alcohol is calorie dense and offers no nutrients which are vital while we are losing and eating small portions and lastly it will slow your metabolism & dehydrate you. Again some surgeons just put a time frame on it but it does depend on your surgery too. Caffeine is another thing that is allowed by some surgeons and not by others and again there can be differences in for how long you should avoid it.

Deconstructing meals is not a forever thing. Certainly while losing, focussing on eating the Protein component of your meal first is very important. If you are able after you’ve eaten the Protein in your meal. you then can eat your vegetables then any carbs you are allowed. (There were many times I could only eat my protein at a meal and nothing else.) This is because of the small portions we can eat initially & the necessity of getting that protein in to meet your protein goals. It does make tracking your food much easier too. When you near your goal, and are eating larger portions, it’s not as important to eat your protein first but you must continue to hit your protein goals forever so it will be something of which you are aware when you’re eating. In saying that I often ate Soups, stews & casserole type dishes, omelettes, etc. which combined protein & vegetables while losing but not every meal and not every day.

Actually not allowing Protein Shakes is also not uncommon. For example, in the UK, many aren’t allowed protein shakes in the pre surgery diet (they drink milk instead). Protein Shakes aren’t the sole source of protein & nutrients in that first stage after surgery. Bone broths, consommés and cream Soups are also options. Thank goodness too because after surgery those protein shakes can be disgusting. I found them unpleasantly grainy and crazy sweet & struggled to drink one a day.

Best advice is to follow your plan while you are losing.However, if you find it difficult to tolerate your food options or to reach your goals ask for alternatives that will allow you to still meet protein goals & other nutrient requirements within any calorie guidelines you are given. How and what you eat once your weight has stabilised is up to you, what you’ve learnt about your eating and relationship with food and if it allows you to maintain a lower and healthier weight & lifestyle.

Thank you. I understand the reasoning for it, it just threw me off when she said it was forever. I even had to ask because I thought I misunderstood her, but nope, she confirmed they’re asking us to avoid the 4 c’s of drinking and to eat deconstructed, protein first. That makes perfect sense to follow the plan while losing and hopefully through that time, build a better relationship with food and learn to choose healthier options along the way. I appreciate the feedback and advice.

In dmv Kaiser has various phases post op for sleeve - they allow coffee & carbonated drinks 6 weeks post op for example

Protein is always prioritized but how is left to the patient