Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone 🩷 posting here as well as in the revision surgery forums in hopes to get a discussion going. I’m considering having revision surgery and have an appointment with my doctor next week. I’d love to hear some of your experiences with revision surgery, what surgery you ultimately went with for the revision, the process and road to your actual surgery date, post op experience - anything you’re willing to share ☺️… soo lay it on me ! The good, the great, the bad, and the ugly! I had gastric sleeve surgery and lost about a 100 lbs and kept it off for about 4 years but since having a baby about 2 years ago I’ve really been struggling with my weight again. Gastric sleeve to bypass seems to be the most popular route however I also see that some people have had other surgeries done such as a duodenal switch. Just curious as to how you and your doctor decide which surgery is best for you. TIA 🩷

Posted (edited)

On 10/1/2024 at 9:34 PM, nsd3xo said:

Hi everyone 🩷 posting here as well as in the revision surgery forums in hopes to get a discussion going. I’m considering having revision surgery and have an appointment with my doctor next week. I’d love to hear some of your experiences with revision surgery, what surgery you ultimately went with for the revision, the process and road to your actual surgery date, post op experience - anything you’re willing to share ☺️… soo lay it on me ! The good, the great, the bad, and the ugly! I had gastric sleeve surgery and lost about a 100 lbs and kept it off for about 4 years but since having a baby about 2 years ago I’ve really been struggling with my weight again. Gastric sleeve to bypass seems to be the most popular route however I also see that some people have had other surgeries done such as a duodenal switch. Just curious as to how you and your doctor decide which surgery is best for you. TIA 🩷

I had a revision to SADI two months ago (which is a modified DS) and I’m very happy with it. After the sleeve I always felt like I was just on a diet. I still craved unhealthy stuff and didn’t have all the extra energy that people explained. So I lost a lot of weight but once my appetite came back I gained it back. Since the SADI it’s different. I would obviously still like to have pizza and Pasta but I still enjoy the healthier choices and I have tons of energy. I walk about 5-7 miles a day and just started YOGA twice a week. I want to do an aerobics/strength class that meets two other days but I’m not quite there yet. I have lost 48 pounds total in 2.5 months (which includes the two week preop in which I lost 13 pounds). Not all surgeons do the SADI yet and there is not a whole lot of help out there in terms of what you should be doing nutrition wise. I spoke to two different nutritionists and they just gave me the same info as they would give for bypass but the NP has been looking at my fitness and food log charts and helping me to adjust my macros and it’s working. I was warned about diarrhea and stinky bowel movements but I have not experience either. In fact I’m still weaning off the stool softener. My surgeon did a few tests first to make sure my sleeve was In good shape because he does not make adjustments to the sleeve. He feels the risks are too high. The recovery was a little tougher this time and you have to be disciplined with your portions because physically you can eat more but once I was healed I was able to tolorate all the same foods as before since they didn’t operate on my stomach. I am now back to pretty normal portions of healthy foods.

Edited by ShoppGirl

10/09/2024 06:16 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I had a revision to SADI two months ago (which is a modified DS) and I’m very happy with it. After the sleeve I always felt like I was just on a diet. I still craved unhealthy stuff and didn’t have all the extra energy that people explained. So I lost a lot of weight but once my appetite came back I gained it back. Since the SADI it’s different. I would obviously still like to have pizza and Pasta but I still enjoy the healthier choices and I have tons of energy. I walk about 5-7 miles a day and just started YOGA twice a week. I want to do an aerobics/strength class that meets two other days but I’m not quite there yet. I have lost 48 pounds total in 2.5 months (which includes the two week preop in which I lost 13 pounds). Not all surgeons do the SADI yet and there is not a whole lot of help out there in terms of what you should be doing nutrition wise. I spoke to two different nutritionists and they just gave me the same info as they would give for bypass but the NP has been looking at my fitness and food log charts and helping me to adjust my macros and it’s working. I was warned about diarrhea and stinky bowel movements but I have not experience either. In fact I’m still weaning off the stool softener. My surgeon did a few tests first to make sure my sleeve was In good shape because he does not make adjustments to the sleeve. He feels the risks are too high. The recovery was a little tougher this time and you have to be disciplined with your portions because physically you can eat more but once I was healed I was able to tolorate all the same foods as before since they didn’t operate on my stomach. I am now back to pretty normal portions of healthy foods.

Hi !! Thanks soo much for sharing ! 48 lbs is incredible congratulations I’m so so happy for you! & Walking 5-7 miles on top of yoga is amazing you are crushing it !! The recovery I’m a little nervous about this time around because I have my toddler running around now lol. My husband really is super dad and assured me he has it covered but there’s just times that mommy is all my little one wants 😅 I had my consultation today & we went over a bunch of things including a full body composition analysis , goals, and a few different options of how we can achieve them including both going the medication route or revision surgery. We ultimately decided on surgery but the type of surgery he said he would like to talk about after I do a swallow study and an endoscopy so he can see what my pouch is looking like these days. He also went over a detailed risk/benefit calculator with me for each surgery but the SADI wasn’t included in any of these conversations- I’m going to mention it to him at my next appointment!! He also let me know that my insurance requires 2 months of nutritionist visits which I’ll be doing my first on Tuesday to get the ball rolling. Thanks again for all of the information! Really so helpful and nice to get another perspective.