Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm hoping my nutritionist can come up with many things to eat that won't get boring and dull then. I guess I'll have a lot of questions on the 30th about my appetite afterwards for the nurse and nutritionist. I'm hoping that the hunger will go away forever or at least will be manageable because I'd like to at least stay around 300 pounds at the very least. I weigh almost 450 now so a loss of 150 pounds would make a huge difference. If I can keep it off that is. I'm hoping I can find a bunch of goof food to eat so that I don't go back to the diet I'm eating now. That or I'll at least be able to burn it all off.

3 hours ago, Neostarwcc said:

I'm hoping my nutritionist can come up with many things to eat that won't get boring and dull then. I guess I'll have a lot of questions on the 30th about my appetite afterwards for the nurse and nutritionist. I'm hoping that the hunger will go away forever or at least will be manageable because I'd like to at least stay around 300 pounds at the very least. I weigh almost 450 now so a loss of 150 pounds would make a huge difference. If I can keep it off that is. I'm hoping I can find a bunch of goof food to eat so that I don't go back to the diet I'm eating now. That or I'll at least be able to burn it all off.

Well you should be able to if you don’t mind cooking. I have been trying all sorts of new recipes. Trying new veggies and fruits every week, different fish and turkey meals. New ways to use chicken Ways to reduce the calories from meals I liked before. It’s easier to do while your hunger is gone so the thought is that you will have found some healthy things you do actually enjoy and have better habits if the hunger returns. It does for many people but to varying intensity. I won’t lie I would still like to have pizza and Pasta, but since surgery the healthy stuff is far more enjoyable to the point that I am able to resist temptation a little easier and I have found quite a few dinners that I actually look forward to.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I actually don't know how to cook my wife takes care of that to be completely honest. I told her if I ever lost sny weight that I'd be interested in learning so that I could make some things to eat while she is at work. Right now I am so heavy and out of shape that I cannot do pretty much anything by myself anymore and I need her help with everything. But if I lost 150 pounds I might give cooking a try and see what I can make. I definitely do not want instant food anymore so she is probably going to have to prepare me something to eat while she is at work for the first few months. I can make my own Protein Shakes but that's probably going to be it.

2 hours ago, Neostarwcc said:

I actually don't know how to cook my wife takes care of that to be completely honest. I told her if I ever lost sny weight that I'd be interested in learning so that I could make some things to eat while she is at work. Right now I am so heavy and out of shape that I cannot do pretty much anything by myself anymore and I need her help with everything. But if I lost 150 pounds I might give cooking a try and see what I can make. I definitely do not want instant food anymore so she is probably going to have to prepare me something to eat while she is at work for the first few months. I can make my own Protein Shakes but that's probably going to be it.

Yea. She can prep some things for you. At first you will be on all liquids and once you get to puree you will be eating tiny portions. By the time you get to regular food you will have dropped a significant amount of weight and may be surprised at how much better you feel. I have a tremendous amount of energy now. I haven’t exercised in 20 years but now I’m walking daily, doing yoga twice a week and just tried a cardio/strength class today that I think I’m going to keep doing as well. I started at a lower BMI than you so you may not be doing rigorous exercise right away but you will be able to do more than you can now for sure and each day you will be able to do a little more and more. You can always supplement with Protein Shakes anytime too. Sometimes if I’m on the run I will have a shake for lunch even though I’m back to regular foods and I have one mixed with coffee every morning (that’s pretty good by the way if you like iced coffee I make mine with decaf). Perhaps you and your wife can cook together once you’re physically able and while you’re learning. I did that with my husband for a while before he got too busy with work and it was actually kinda fun. Anyways, I’m really excited for you on this journey. This surgery is life changing. It takes a great deal of work and commitment but it’s well worth it. Before you know it you will be able to start doing some things for yourself.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Yeah I heard that immediately after the surgery you lose a lot of weight. I'm hoping they do a lot to help me keep that weight off. My goals are realistic and manageable so that I don't fail I could try to get to under 200 pounds and live for 10 years longer but it's like I want to set a realistic and achievable goal so 300 pounds is good. Then when I hit that and keep that off maybe I can go down to 250 and keep it there. I haven't been 250 pounds in a very, very long time. I had to have been in my late teens early 20s the last time i was 250 pounds. So either weight would be very good. My doctor said if I got down to 300 pounds a lot of my health issues should go away but I'll still need to be on anti coagulants no matter what my weight. So I can't ever stop taking those unfortunately but a lot of my other health issues should drastically improve or go away.

I haven't exercised much in 20 years either. To prove myself worthy of getting the surgery I've exercised a lot more lately than I have in a long, long time but I still don't exercise a lot because it's very difficult to do so. I hope that will drastically change with my surgery.

Edited by Neostarwcc

That sounds like a very good mindset to go into this with. It is about feeling better about yourself, improving your health and extending your time with loved ones. Unrealistic goals just work for a short time and then in most cases people go back to where they were before or even worse.

Setting realistic goals will get you a long way, slow and steady really does win the race.

I couldn't do much exercise before my op as my knees would get so sore but now they are so much better with so much of the weight off them. I walk with a spring in my step, I do pilates and I have now joined the gym - none of these things would have been possible for me in recent years.

I have lost more weight than the goal my surgeon set but over the last month it seems to have steadied now to up and down the same 1kg so I think my loss is stopping and now I am trying to focus of turning fat into muscle, knowing that that will result in another kg or two on the scale but it will be a healthier body,

2 hours ago, FifiLux said:

That sounds like a very good mindset to go into this with. It is about feeling better about yourself, improving your health and extending your time with loved ones. Unrealistic goals just work for a short time and then in most cases people go back to where they were before or even worse.

Setting realistic goals will get you a long way, slow and steady really does win the race.

I couldn't do much exercise before my op as my knees would get so sore but now they are so much better with so much of the weight off them. I walk with a spring in my step, I do pilates and I have now joined the gym - none of these things would have been possible for me in recent years.

I have lost more weight than the goal my surgeon set but over the last month it seems to have steadied now to up and down the same 1kg so I think my loss is stopping and now I am trying to focus of turning fat into muscle, knowing that that will result in another kg or two on the scale but it will be a healthier body,

Yeah. I'm big boned anyway so I'm supposed to be a little overweight. I'd rather set a realistic goal and succeed than try to get down to the weight I'm "supposed" to be and fail and get discouraged. Besides a weight loss of nearly 150 pounds is still a pretty significant weight loss it's losing an entire person worth of body weight.

5 hours ago, Neostarwcc said:

Yeah I heard that immediately after the surgery you lose a lot of weight. I'm hoping they do a lot to help me keep that weight off. My goals are realistic and manageable so that I don't fail I could try to get to under 200 pounds and live for 10 years longer but it's like I want to set a realistic and achievable goal so 300 pounds is good. Then when I hit that and keep that off maybe I can go down to 250 and keep it there. I haven't been 250 pounds in a very, very long time. I had to have been in my late teens early 20s the last time i was 250 pounds. So either weight would be very good. My doctor said if I got down to 300 pounds a lot of my health issues should go away but I'll still need to be on anti coagulants no matter what my weight. So I can't ever stop taking those unfortunately but a lot of my other health issues should drastically improve or go away.

I haven't exercised much in 20 years either. To prove myself worthy of getting the surgery I've exercised a lot more lately than I have in a long, long time but I still don't exercise a lot because it's very difficult to do so. I hope that will drastically change with my surgery.

Yeah, smaller goals is definitely better for us mentally. And paying attention to how you feel instead of what the number is on the scale. I mean, I am still only halfway to the goal that I would like to reach but I am feeling so much better. I put a lot less stock in what the scale says these days. Plus, like you said, you can always adjust and set another attainable goal once you reach your first one. They will have you up and walking the same day as your surgery and encourage you to keep doing so. I started wearing my fitness watch again, which surprisingly was able to update after a lot of years being in the drawer and it’s really fun to be able to watch how many steps you take, calories burned and how everything is improving every day. I got an alert a couple of weeks ago that my resting heart rate has gone down like 7 bpm which probably isn’t a lot, but it’s headed in the right direction for sure.

Edited by ShoppGirl

1 minute ago, Neostarwcc said:

Yeah. I'm big boned anyway so I'm supposed to be a little overweight. I'd rather set a realistic goal and succeed than try to get down to the weight I'm "supposed" to be and fail and get discouraged. Besides a weight loss of nearly 150 pounds is still a pretty significant weight loss it's losing an entire person worth of body weight.

Absolutely. I have lost 50 and I can already tell a difference in my knees when um walking and with my energy. You will do just fine.

Well you started at 250 pounds and lost 50. If you started at 440 like I am I'm sure you would have weighed 300 pounds by now. I really hope within a year I could lose the weight. I don't want to be 400 pounds for forever.

Honestly if I started at 250 pounds I probably could do it on my own. I lost 50 pounds when I weighed 350 before I met my wife. Wasn't super difficult for me I just stopped eating like a pig lol. I was eating a lot I actually weighed 290 when I moved out of my parents house and I gained 60 pounds in 4 months from all of the food that I was eating after I moved out so I was like "I'm going to lose weight". Now I'm 100 pounds heavier than that and I can't do virtually anything or I wouldn't get the surgery at all. But if my wife weighed 250 pounds I can see how she couldn't do anything either because she weighed 150 at her heaviest and lost 10 pounds when she got her job. Her job made her get a lot of exercise. If she weighed 100 pounds more than that she probably couldn't do much either.

3 hours ago, Neostarwcc said:

Well you started at 250 pounds and lost 50. If you started at 440 like I am I'm sure you would have weighed 300 pounds by now. I really hope within a year I could lose the weight. I don't want to be 400 pounds for forever.

Honestly if I started at 250 pounds I probably could do it on my own. I lost 50 pounds when I weighed 350 before I met my wife. Wasn't super difficult for me I just stopped eating like a pig lol. I was eating a lot I actually weighed 290 when I moved out of my parents house and I gained 60 pounds in 4 months from all of the food that I was eating after I moved out so I was like "I'm going to lose weight". Now I'm 100 pounds heavier than that and I can't do virtually anything or I wouldn't get the surgery at all. But if my wife weighed 250 pounds I can see how she couldn't do anything either because she weighed 150 at her heaviest and lost 10 pounds when she got her job. Her job made her get a lot of exercise. If she weighed 100 pounds more than that she probably couldn't do much either.

Yea. I wish I could’ve dropped 50 on my own. I tried many times. Well, I did lose it many times. I just always gained it back 😢

The higher the BMI the faster you usually lose in the beginning after surgery, though. Everyone slows down eventually (the closer you get to a “normal” BMI). But 50 pounds was almost 20% of my body weight so that was quite a bit of difference off of my knees. Made a pretty big difference in what I am able to do physically.

I hope you will see that you are able to do a little more quite quickly after you are recovered. From there you just have to take advantage of it and work your way up until you can soon do all the things that you enjoy doing.