Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG revison

Hello all .I am 47 yrs old and was sleeve in 2017..Before surgery I was 295 got down to 175 . Fast forward I am divorced single mother and I began drinking heavily gained 30 lbs so I did the endoscopic revision where they re-tighten the stomach the first week I lost 7 lbs mind u I had my revision 9/5/2024. I am almost a month out I don’t feel any restriction and I never feel full… The surgeon said I won’t feel any real restriction because Im not on a regular diet yet . i am on soft foods now but I feel myself getting very depressed because I haven’t loss anymore weight please any suggestions would be helpful.I really want to feel like myself again and lose these 30 lbs..

It could be the three week stall. Remember the first one can occur anywhere around the third week. Also you won’t feel your restriction until your nerves are healed (this can take 6 or so weeks) when the messages (like your restriction, feeling full, etc.) start to get through again. Even though this was a tightening of your tummy, you’ll still have the same basic experiences as you did with your initial sleeve.

Thank you this has really got me into an depression mood. I have been praying and crying because I don’t want to go back… I am even scared to eat soft food . The surgeon told me that I want feel like I did with the original surgery in 2017 but he said I will do great although right now Im debating going back to liquids because I really don’t want to go back to my original size… I know this is a tool but I feel like my tool isn’t working.. And he did say the same as you that my stomach has to heal and the swelling has to go down which I don’t feel swollen but I guess because it was endoscopic..

Sometimes if you can’t see something you don’t think it’s there but there are sutures and staples inside you & you will be swollen internally. You will heal you just need the time to do it and that is the purpose of the staged return to eating solid foods is for: to slowly get your tummy used to digesting denser and denser food while it is recovering until it is fully healed and you can tolerate ‘normal’ solid foods. And your stall will break. They always do. It will take time (1-3 weeks usually). A stall is your body thinking what the hell is going on and taking time to work out what’s happening and understanding your new needs. It’s been through a lot with the surgery and now the recovery and restricted diet. Your poor body is stressed much like you are emotionally at the moment. Stick to your plan. You only need to go back a stage during this time if your body is struggling to tolerate and digest the slightly denser food at each new stage.

Remember back to what happened with your initial surgery. As I said this recovery will be similar.

Arabesque I appreciate you so much you have no Idea.I was thinking I made a mistake but I am going to trust the process… And do everything I know to do meaning I guess it’s time to do some light cardio lol… I haven’t exercised in so long but I gotta get back at it.. You speak like someone of experience and I truly am grateful for that… I will keep you updated and if you need to vent as well I am here 😊 I have read your messages a few times because they give me comfort.. My family and friends don’t understand because im not 295 anymore but when the scale starts tipping back up I panicked they couldn’t believe I paid for another procedure but I had to do this for me… I have to start living for me.. I will trust the process and fight my emotions in the meantime

On 9/28/2024 at 11:33 PM, Bella2207$ said:

Hello all .I am 47 yrs old and was sleeve in 2017..Before surgery I was 295 got down to 175 . Fast forward I am divorced single mother and I began drinking heavily gained 30 lbs so I did the endoscopic revision where they re-tighten the stomach the first week I lost 7 lbs mind u I had my revision 9/5/2024. I am almost a month out I don’t feel any restriction and I never feel full… The surgeon said I won’t feel any real restriction because Im not on a regular diet yet . i am on soft foods now but I feel myself getting very depressed because I haven’t loss anymore weight please any suggestions would be helpful.I really want to feel like myself again and lose these 30 lbs..

Hi there! While there are not many things you can control, there are a few you can. Tracking your lifestyle choices will help you figure out how they may affect your weight loss. Try logging/tracking everything (food, activities, mood, etc.) until you follow up visit with your team.
This can help because this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6887647/) supported that adherence to multidisciplinary team follow-up was an independent factor for increased weight loss at 1 year, but not in type of endoscopic procedures.

Also try tracking your eating length (how much time you take to eat start to stop) these two things could be significant to your progress because these studies (https://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-3565(15)01714-0/fulltext

https://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(17)30865-1/abstract)
show that ESG increased gastric emptying T½ by 90 minutes and delayed gastric emptying for solids. The retention of food after ESG led to early meal termination in 11 minutes and reduced food intake…changes in gastric emptying and time to satiation are some of the plausible mechanisms that lead to beneficial effects of ESG.

So your surgeon is giving you great information that the restriction *should* kick in with solids. Please keep us updated ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

Arabesque I appreciate you so much you have no Idea.I was thinking I made a mistake but I am going to trust the process… And do everything I know to do meaning I guess it’s time to do some light cardio lol… I haven’t exercised in so long but I gotta get back at it.. You speak like someone of experience and I truly am grateful for that… I will keep you updated and if you need to vent as well I am here 😊 I have read your messages a few times because they give me comfort.. My family and friends don’t understand because im not 295 anymore but when the scale starts tipping back up I panicked they couldn’t believe I paid for another procedure but I had to do this for me… I have to start living for me.. I will trust the process and fight my emotions in the meantime

8 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Hi there! While there are not many things you can control, there are a few you can. Tracking your lifestyle choices will help you figure out how they may affect your weight loss. Try logging/tracking everything (food, activities, mood, etc.) until you follow up visit with your team.
This can help because this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6887647/) supported that adherence to multidisciplinary team follow-up was an independent factor for increased weight loss at 1 year, but not in type of endoscopic procedures.

Also try tracking your eating length (how much time you take to eat start to stop) these two things could be significant to your progress because these studies (https://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-3565(15)01714-0/fulltext

https://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(17)30865-1/abstract)
show that ESG increased gastric emptying T½ by 90 minutes and delayed gastric emptying for solids. The retention of food after ESG led to early meal termination in 11 minutes and reduced food intake…changes in gastric emptying and time to satiation are some of the plausible mechanisms that lead to beneficial effects of ESG.

So your surgeon is giving you great information that the restriction *should* kick in with solids. Please keep us updated ❤️

Thank you so much for the links I will be looking into this and I will def keep you updated