Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Plain Scared!

Ok.. I'm getting banded on Dec. 27, and now that it's soooo close I'm absolutely scared to death!!!

3 days.. 3 stinkin days...

I'm excited to begin anew, however.. what if I don't come out of surgery.. who will take care of my family? Will my husband re=marry and bring some hoochie momma into my house?

What will happen to my dogs? Who will tell my grandchildren about how much grandma loved them.

Will everyone talk about how vain I was to have surgery to loose weight, and then b ecause of that vainess I'm dead?

I can't tell anyone how I feel cuz no one really knows except for my immediate family... my husband saw how upset I was.. and how I was craving steak, and he told me to cancel surgery if I want to.

I CAN'T CANCEL SURGERY.. this is my last hope.

I do really believe that I will die when God says it's time to die, and not a minute sooner. So.. what if this is my time?

Well, none of the rest of us died.:rose:

Seriously, everyone has flashes of "what if" before surgery. Just don't dwell on it. Millions of people have done it and are fine. You'll be fine too.

Sharon

Hi Jazzywoman

Oh my gosh, those same thoughts entered my head, but you missed one, whats the old man going to do with my life insurance (lol)

stay positive. I am finally at that stage,(I Think) lol!

It also helps to go shopping for something gorgeous to wear to the hospital. I bought myself a really nice walking outfit ( I dont know what they call them, these are no ordinary sweats) from L. Bryants. I will look fab. walking in and fabulous walking out.

I was watching a tv program and the sleep Dr. stated that patients that went in the day of surgery in happy and positive moods recovered faster.

all my lapband brothers and sisters are in my prayers.

SC

surgery 12/26/07

Oh my, this is EXACTLY how I felt. I also wondered how my husband was going to explain my death because no one knew I was having surgery except him and one friend. It is quite nerve wracking, thinking about such things.

I made it through just fine, for whatever that's worth. I usually wake up from general anesthesia hollering, but this time I woke up happily because I realized I was still alive and the surgery was done. :rose:

You'll do fine. Positive thoughts. :rose:

Hey Jazzy,

I was not nervous at all. UNTIL the night beofre my surgery. By the morning of my surgery and will I was getting admitted. I was VERY nervous. I had second thoughts.

Then the brought in the presurgery relaxation drug. It calmed me down alot.

This was last Friday 12/21. Today is Xmas and I feel GREAT. I have had no interest in food, but things are starting to smell good today!

Stay strong -- Stay focused.

You can do it.

I had the same feeling and I suffer from panic attacks. I was so happy when it was done. I woke up in the recovery room and looked at my belly to see if it was done. It was done!

You can do it and don't listen to anybody.

I had no second thoughts. I knew it was right for me. I was just very excited and a little nervous about going to Mexico for surgery. But it was all ok. Donna

Jazzy,

The morning I was supposed to travel before my surgery was HORRIBLE. I had my first ever true panic attack. I was driving down the road and everything came down on me. I couldn't go an inch further. I stopped....and came unglued. You can read all the gory details on my anxiety sucks thread. It was not pretty.

However, I called and my coordinator was so good. She talked me through it. She explained that it was perfectly natural. She told me to think about all the good things coming in the next few months. She told me to write down all the postitives and try to stay focussed.

The drugs right before surgery were a life saver. All of a sudden I was in tears and hyperventilating. In an instant DH said I was smiling and calm again.

Until surgery, try to stay positive. When it is your time it is your time....and it won't matter what you are doing....in surgery or sleeping. The 27th is not your time. You're going to have this lapband placed so that you have years and years left....better years.

Deep breaths and happy thoughts,

Steph

Ok.. I'm getting banded on Dec. 27, and now that it's soooo close I'm absolutely scared to death!!!

3 days.. 3 stinkin days...

I'm excited to begin anew, however.. what if I don't come out of surgery.. who will take care of my family? Will my husband re=marry and bring some hoochie momma into my house?

What will happen to my dogs? Who will tell my grandchildren about how much grandma loved them.

Will everyone talk about how vain I was to have surgery to loose weight, and then b ecause of that vainess I'm dead?

I can't tell anyone how I feel cuz no one really knows except for my immediate family... my husband saw how upset I was.. and how I was craving steak, and he told me to cancel surgery if I want to.

I CAN'T CANCEL SURGERY.. this is my last hope.

I do really believe that I will die when God says it's time to die, and not a minute sooner. So.. what if this is my time?

OMG - I thought I was the only one - I have never thought about death before surgery like I have for this - my surgery is Dec 31. Talk about God sending me a good signal? I came across this thread!! Thank you for reassuring me- I'm less nervous than before but the "what-if" devils are there. I, too, thought about cancelling then I thought - ARE YOU CRAZY?? Youve been waiting so long for this!!"

As far as when it's our time to go, respectively, I don't believe that our time is when we are young, I believe that with God's help, and faith, we should live a full adult life, and death comes way later ..... we have to push forward and have FAITH! To those who pray to Christ, please keep me in your prayers - I can't wait til I'm waking up after surgery! THANKS AGAIN!

Jazzy,

It's tomorrow, it's time to get really excited. You have a lot to do between now and then.

I'm a firm believer that 99% of things we worry about don't happen. So keep worrying, you'll improve you odds. :biggrin1:

Actually, though I wasn't nervous or having thoughts about cancelling. I did a lot of prep in case the worst should happen. I made sure my medical directive was current (a sort of living will). I also made sure my will was where my husband wouldn't have to hunt for it. In the pre-op area, I told him where it was and reminded him about my life insurance policies and retirement that would become a cash pay out at my death. I can't believe how calm I was, you know, just business. He was so sweet and told me I was in good hands and not to worry. Then it hit me that he was there alone. So I just had to live though it so he wouldn't have to be alone with that news 3 hours from home. So I thought about the 99% and figured I had the bases covered. :)

I did some heartfelt praying too.

I told my dr I was having anxiety about it. and she gave me Xanex....ummmm I love them.....they calmed me right down.

Thank you all soooo much! You really don't know how much it means to have a group of people like you to give comfort and encouragement.

I'm ready, and I'm not even nervous right now. I'm just drinking... Water that is, because in about an hour I won't be able to have anything to drink.

I've done the prep work, (the morbid stuff like life insurance, etc..).

I'm sure I'll be on here tomorrow or Friday with the wonderful news that everything I was afraid of.. didn't really happen! *giggle*

Each one of you have helped relieve my fears. I wish I could hug you all.

If you are praying people.. please pray for me and JayJay. We are having surgery the same day. Hers is at 7 and mine is at 11. We've never met, just on here!

Thanks so much!

Huggles,

Mary:)