Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where my shorties at?!

Hi all, I’m new to the community. I’m in Northern CA and just finished the nutrition class, waiting on my initial consultation with my surgeon 11/4/24. I’m 4’11” HW: 212 CW: 186 and my personal GW: 130

Are there any others here that are petite in height like me? I’m curious to hear how your experience has been. Biggest takeaways, any advice? Look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum! I'm 5'4 so not necessarily short, but I just wanted to welcome you anyway!

Welcome too. Not as short as you either (5’3”) but after I lost my weight I discovered I actually had a small frame so in a way I look tinier than I am. My biggest challenge has been feeling overwhelmed in certain styles of clothing. (Bet you thought I was going to say it was something about my weight loss experience.) When I was larger I had this big body that carried/filled a lot of clothing styles. Not any more. I look like I’m drowning or am a lifetime girl wearing my mummy’s clothes. And certain proportions can be way off now too. Like tops are too long & make me look weird & unbalanced. (Trousers have always been too long.)

Being shorter than average with a smaller frame didn’t affect my weight loss at all. My experiences were the same as most others here. Just need fewer calories than many of my taller friends to maintain my lower weight. I remember once my surgeon’s colleague, who did my follow ups, weighed me and started to say I had lost too much weight. She paused and looked me up & down & said you really are quite tiny aren’t you. My weight wasn’t an issue after that. (Except every now & again they’ll say I should try to put on a couple of kilos but that’s because of my age, 59, and not anything else.)

Keep us updated on your progress. Don’t hesitate to ask questions here either. Everyone is happy to help, share what they’ve learnt and offer support. Though having the surgery can be a bit scary, it also is the beginning of very exciting and rewarding future.

All the best.

Hi there!! Welcome to the forum!! I'm 5'5", which I never really considered short until I married someone who was 6'3", have a son was is 6'2", have a brother who is 6', have a male bestie who is 6'1", and work with men and women who are at MINIMUM 5'10" lol And my gigantor family puts everything on the top shelves towards the back because I can't reach and they think it's funny to watch me get on a step ladder just to get a pot or a bowl 🙄

Hi, I’m 5’2” but was 5’4 1/2” and shrinking. My surgery date is October 21st. Will start pre-op diet after speaking with nutritionist again on10/01.
I was reading the info on pre op and during and after surgery about nutrition. Did you all drink 5 shakes per day every 3 hours?? I don’t like them that much! BJ’s has a variety of flavors though.

On 09/26/2024 at 20:55, Arabesque said:

Welcome too. Not as short as you either (5’3”) but after I lost my weight I discovered I actually had a small frame so in a way I look tinier than I am. My biggest challenge has been feeling overwhelmed in certain styles of clothing. (Bet you thought I was going to say it was something about my weight loss experience.) When I was larger I had this big body that carried/filled a lot of clothing styles. Not any more. I look like I’m drowning or am a lifetime girl wearing my mummy’s clothes. And certain proportions can be way off now too. Like tops are too long & make me look weird & unbalanced. (Trousers have always been too long.)

Being shorter than average with a smaller frame didn’t affect my weight loss at all. My experiences were the same as most others here. Just need fewer calories than many of my taller friends to maintain my lower weight. I remember once my surgeon’s colleague, who did my follow ups, weighed me and started to say I had lost too much weight. She paused and looked me up & down & said you really are quite tiny aren’t you. My weight wasn’t an issue after that. (Except every now & again they’ll say I should try to put on a couple of kilos but that’s because of my age, 59, and not anything else.)

Keep us updated on your progress. Don’t hesitate to ask questions here either. Everyone is happy to help, share what they’ve learnt and offer support. Though having the surgery can be a bit scary, it also is the beginning of very exciting and rewarding future.

All the best.

Yes this! At 5’3” and petite I often look like I’m swimming in things. I’m smaller on top, so in particular many sleeves are too long and shoulders too big.

On 09/27/2024 at 06:09, RuizAyres said:

Hi, I’m 5’2” but was 5’4 1/2” and shrinking. My surgery date is October 21st. Will start pre-op diet after speaking with nutritionist again on10/01.

I was reading the info on pre op and during and after surgery about nutrition. Did you all drink 5 shakes per day every 3 hours?? I don’t like them that much! BJ’s has a variety of flavors though.

5 shakes per day? Never! I think max I ever had was 2 or maybe 3 in a day. I drink Premier Protein, so 30g Protein each. I think at 5 a day (so 150g protein) is even more protein than most body builders need. I’m 5 years out now. Still drink 1/day for Breakfast and am able to hit my 90g daily protein goal easily with food.

This was in my paperwork…I haven’t had my follow-up yet with nutritionist after reading them? She has me starting to eat every 3hrs and using a timer.! I guess that’s where the 5 shakes come in. I’ve been told by both surgeon and nutritionist that I wouldn’t have to be on a really strict pre op diet because of being 195lbs but that is 70lbs overweight for me. Plus I have so many medical problems probably related to weight. I am older but I have an esophageal hernia that’s going to be repaired at same time and doc suggested for the sleeve. Didn’t think it could be done at my age….but so thankful.

It’s been 5 years so my memory isn’t super clear, but I do remember being given a 1oz med cup in the hospital. I believe I was told to drink one of those full of Protein Shake every hour while awake. So assuming 16 hours awake that is 16 oz so just about 1.5 shakes. I think that was for the first week, then increased after that. All programs do vary with their instructions though!