Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

REVOLVING TOPIC ON MAINTENANCE

Hi all!

So I am working on Maintenance, I feel good, I *think* I look good, health is great, I am eating anywhere from 1800-2000 calories a day. I am burning around 500-700calories for my workout and walking over 10k steps a day usually hitting 11,500 steps. I am maintaining which is great! I am hungry or I get lethargic which when I eat helps a lot! My obese mind set is slightly freaking out. and I am scared because I'm still within the year of my surgery I am messing it up. I have tried all week to stay within the 1500-1700 calories, 140g carbs, 40g fat that my bariatric packet tells me, and its IMPOSSIBLE. I know I have done well on this journey, I am just terrified of going back and eating too much and ruining all this progress.

My approximate daily macros:

1700-2000 calories

100-150g carbs

130-175g Protein

65-80g fat

Just need reassurance I am not alone in this journey.

soooo question:...why do you think you need to be in the 1500-1700 range if you are maintaining fine in the 1800-2000 range? logic would dictate that you would lose weight given your current exercise regimen if you dropped cals...are you looking to lose more weight? or maybe decrease activity levels? if so, then yeah dropping down a few hundred cals would do the trick. but if not, then why try to fix something that ain't broke?

I am a good 7 inches shorter than you and i maintain with 2300 cals a day...been at this level for about a year, and my weight has hovered around the same number +/- 3lbs the entire time. i don't count nor manage macros anymore, but a quick glance at MFP show that i'm well over 150g of net carbs every day this week and Protein about 80g more or less; as for exercise, from what i've read from your posts we are probably about the same activity expenditure range.

you wont "ruin everything" if you keep on top of things and watch whats happening (which sounds like what you are already doing), if you do that you would have plenty of time to adjust and make changes before it all goes to shite.

you're doing great! keep it up ;)

25 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

soooo question:...why do you think you need to be in the 1500-1700 range if you are maintaining fine in the 1800-2000 range? logic would dictate that you would lose weight given your current exercise regimen if you dropped cals...are you looking to lose more weight? or maybe decrease activity levels? if so, then yeah dropping down a few hundred cals would do the trick. but if not, then why try to fix something that ain't broke?

I am a good 7 inches shorter than you and i maintain with 2300 cals a day...been at this level for about a year, and my weight has hovered around the same number +/- 3lbs the entire time. i don't count nor manage macros anymore, but a quick glance at MFP show that i'm well over 150g of net carbs every day this week and Protein about 80g more or less; as for exercise, from what i've read from your posts we are probably about the same activity expenditure range.

you wont "ruin everything" if you keep on top of things and watch whats happening (which sounds like what you are already doing), if you do that you would have plenty of time to adjust and make changes before it all goes to shite.

you're doing great! keep it up ;)

I think my reasoning is because I am low key freaking out because I am *done* losing weight and maintaining and I have never ever ever ever been in this position. Always losing or gaining. So eating close to 2000 calories a day and only being 8months post op, my mind is telling me that I am going to start gaining and this is not sustainable. I have never stayed this active this long either lol Its just a new life that I am not used to, and this week I am panicking (WEIRD!)

I am sure that I need to talk to a therapist LOL but you guys are it for me at this moment. 🤣

Give yourself time!

When you press the brake in your car, it takes time to come to a complete stop. The same is true when you try to go from losing to maintaining. It's hard to know immediately if you are eating the right amount, especially with a significant amount of exercise like you're doing.

As you are learning, you've got to EAT to fuel that level of activity and it can be stressful for us formerly fat people to eat at levels that at one time would have led to weight gain.

Track things for a month or so and see where you end up. If you continue to lose, then you obviously need to eat even more. If you seem to be maintaining within a few pounds (keeping in mind normal fluctuations), you're probably where you need to be. If, heaven forbid, you do start to gain again, just ease off a tiny bit on the calories and you'll stabilize.

Whatever you do, don't stress it, because you now have all the knowledge and tools to stay at the weight you want!