Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yoga Supplies and Tips Please

So I recently found out my community center offers a couple of Yoga classes and the one that works for me schedule wise is called stretch and flow. I am just trying to get the supplies I will need to get started. I am an absolute beginner.

I do have a yoga mat that I bought to put under my Ab roller but it’s not very thick so I’m not sure it will be good for my knees. Do I need a thicker one. I also noticed they have some that say they are good for sweat which I’m sure I will do even during regular yoga because I sweat super easily. Should I go with that one? If they had one that was both thick and good for sweat I would just go with it but it seems to be one or the other. The sweat one is prettier though. lol.

What about clothes. So far in this size I just have a couple pair of bicycle shorts I wear to walk around the block. I assume I need pants of some sort but do people really wear the flare bottomed ones anymore or can I go with the slim leggings? Any particular material or better yet brands that work better for one reason or another? Also, I don’t think I’m quite ready to be out in public in just a sports bra do some people wear shirts? I assume I will need something more fitted like a tank maybe (oh boy the first showing of my big white arms, lol). Any suggestions there.

Amazon also has mat bags and straps, yoga straps, balls and bricks plus knee pads. Is any of that necessary to get started? I suppose I could get the knee pads and use the mat I already have but the mats aren’t terribly expensive if that would be one less thing to have to carry and buy anyways. Ooh and they did have a mat towel that says it had something in the corners that sticks it down? It’s for hot yoga but for me I think right now any yoga will be hot yoga. Would you advise getting that? Also, what about the socks? Are they helpful? Do you go barefoot otherwise or wear regular socks?

They have contact Info for the instructor on the site should I email her and let her know I’m a beginner and want to attend or just kinda show up, stay towards the back and do what I can?

Also, where do people put their stuff? Like is it okay to bring in my purse and phone or should I lock that In the car or what. It isn’t like a gym where everyone knows everyone. It’s just the community center so I’m not sure who will be there and I’m 99% certain there will not be any lockers.

One last thing, is yoga considered strength training? Do I still want to do my walking for cardio that same day or do I take that day off?

Sorry for so many questions but this will be my first group class in over 20 years and my first real month of exercising at all in just as long. I honestly don’t really know what to expect other than the fact that I won’t be able to do much to start but I need to get over that just like I did with the walking.

Edited by ShoppGirl