Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some changes... Finally

Finally cleared for soft foods, increased physical/sexual activity and massage. Oh it's a good day! Was able go handle half a scrambled egg and 2oz of mashed pinto Beans. Was so nervous they'd taste bad or make me nauseous. So far, only my vanilla Protein Shake that I've loved for a few years; now tastes like Syrup. Has anyone "lost" the ability to enjoy their favorites since having surgery? And if so, has it changed ?

6 hours ago, Rashi said:

Finally cleared for soft foods, increased physical/sexual activity and massage. Oh it's a good day! Was able go handle half a scrambled egg and 2oz of mashed pinto Beans. Was so nervous they'd taste bad or make me nauseous. So far, only my vanilla Protein Shake that I've loved for a few years; now tastes like Syrup. Has anyone "lost" the ability to enjoy their favorites since having surgery? And if so, has it changed ?

Tastes certainly change post surgery. Prior to my sleeve I was a salty snack girl. Had the sleeve and I started craving sweets all of a sudden. Possibly part of why it didn’t work for me. Woke up from my revision craving healthy Food-food though. Even for Snacks I want nourishment not junk. I wanted fish tacos so bad during my entire liquid phase and I like things like spinach now. It’s weird. You may not like stuff you loved before but you may also like some things you didn’t before so be open to trying things. Hopefully you will find some healthy things you love to replace them things you don’t like now. Ooh and if you like Peanut Butter and have some vanilla shakes left over try mixing PB2 into your shake. It takes a lot of mixing and you won’t want to do it until your cleared for like purées because it makes it a little thicker but it’s really good and it increases the Protein. Ooh another thing you can do with the shakes to cut the sweetness is to mix them with coffee. I actually buy the caramel ones that are really sweet intentionally to make my iced coffee. It’s delicious.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Detested eggs pre surgery and now eat them every day. Loved cooked salmon but can not eat it, just the thought of it makes me want to vomit. Avocado is also off. It took me almost two years to want chicken again

There are other things that are just impossible for me to eat because of the surgery. Cheap white bread, Pasta, Curries sob... Anything with skins, tomatoes, peppers, grapes

I craved a jacket potato with cheese and baked Beans and had it last night. I separated it into two portions and ate both eventually. Yum. Zero side effects. Another tick on the chart for me.

i don't like sweets as much as i used to. mind you i still have sweet stuff, just not as often and as much as i used to.

where before i'd have 2 slices of cake, now i'll have like 2 bites.

14 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Tastes certainly change post surgery. Prior to my sleeve I was a salty snack girl. Had the sleeve and I started craving sweets all of a sudden. Possibly part of why it didn’t work for me. Woke up from my revision craving healthy Food-food though. Even for Snacks I want nourishment not junk. I wanted fish tacos so bad during my entire liquid phase and I like things like spinach now. It’s weird. You may not like stuff you loved before but you may also like some things you didn’t before so be open to trying things. Hopefully you will find some healthy things you love to replace them things you don’t like now. Ooh and if you like Peanut Butter and have some vanilla shakes left over try mixing PB2 into your shake. It takes a lot of mixing and you won’t want to do it until your cleared for like purées because it makes it a little thicker but it’s really good and it increases the Protein. Ooh another thing you can do with the shakes to cut the sweetness is to mix them with coffee. I actually buy the caramel ones that are really sweet intentionally to make my iced coffee. It’s delicious.

I am definitely a salty-crunchy craver. So far that still seems legit, I think about my deluxe nuts and stove popped popcorn, but that thought/craving may pass since it'll be sometime before I can test it out. As someone who hasn't eaten meat for years, and still find the thought unappealing, I'm interested if I'll wake up one day like... "Oh, I could go for a steak 🤣" As for the Vanilla shakes, yes, I've been mixing them in my coffee as well as with my Protein Powder and I've been enjoying PB2 for years... still tastes Amazing... though I miss putting a little granola in it (maybe that'll pass too (shrug), But hey it's the Protein Boost and I'm happy for it.

5 hours ago, summerseeker said:

Detested eggs pre surgery and now eat them every day. Loved cooked salmon but can not eat it, just the thought of it makes me want to vomit. Avocado is also off. It took me almost two years to want chicken again

There are other things that are just impossible for me to eat because of the surgery. Cheap white bread, Pasta, Curries sob... Anything with skins, tomatoes, peppers, grapes

I craved a jacket potato with cheese and baked Beans and had it last night. I separated it into two portions and ate both eventually. Yum. Zero side effects. Another tick on the chart for me.

I've always had to be int he mood for Avocado and even when I was, I had to have it with something, like toast or cracker, maybe in a salad... now guacamole was a different story😋. Though it's not something that's really crossed my mind. Thanks for mentioning the potato (we call it Baked Potatoe in the states), I'm pretty sure I can have that and so now I know what to make or dinner!

Very common for you to experience temporary changes to your sense of taste and sometimes smell after surgery. Everything became super salty or super sweet and certain textures (like the grainy texture of the shakes) became off putting for me. And yes, sometimes foods you didn’t enjoy before become enjoyable though that can change back. For me it was smoked salmon which I strangely began eating regularly once on real food but a few weeks later it was back to nope it’s too strong & rich. I actually embraced the aversion to sweet and lost my desire for a lot of it.