Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*drum roll please* The Dreaded STALL 😰

Almost 4 months in, and the scale has not budged one bit in about 1.5 weeks.

Yes, I know it is normal.

Yes, I know there are countless of threads on here about exactly the same thing.

Does it make me feel any better? No 🤣

It is hard not to stop on that scale every day - I am just grateful I'll be on holiday next week and no scales will be near me!

--- end of rant ---

❤️

Oh, yes. It really is so disheartening, and knowing it's normal/expected doesn't make it feel any better! To give you an idea of how my weight loss has fluctuated, here are my monthly totals so far:

February: -16.4 lbs (2 week pre-op diet plus surgery on 2/21)

March: -11.6 lbs

April: -7.6 lbs

May: -2.8 lbs

June: -11.2 lbs

July: -1.6 lbs

August: -8.4 lbs

And so far in September I'm at a whopping -0.4 lbs for the month. Let me tell you, May and July both sucked, and I honestly don't think I did anything differently in June or August to explain the variation. It just is what it is. I'd say stay off the scale, but personally, I enjoy having the daily number because I'm obsessed with having a record to look back on, so I get having to do it every morning. I'm sure you're far from done losing, even if you're at a slow point right now.

Just for fun, I'm attaching a side by side comparison that I made of myself yesterday. It's a photo of me from last summer at my highest weight alongside a pic of me from my walk yesterday. When the scale stalls, making something like this cheers me up and helps me see beyond the numbers on the scale.

Untitled design.png

Oh I know, so frustrating.

For the last month or so I am losing and gaining the same 1.5kg and therefore remain 1kg to 2kg from my goal. I did so much walking in the last few days and will likely again when I go on holiday next week that I am hoping it will help with one final shift. That said the kg may be slow but the cms/inches are still dropping as jeans I put on last week which were nicely fitted are already a bit looser on the backside/thigh area yesterday.

Edited by FifiLux

2 hours ago, NickelChip said:

Just for fun, I'm attaching a side by side comparison that I made of myself yesterday. It's a photo of me from last summer at my highest weight alongside a pic of me from my walk yesterday. When the scale stalls, making something like this cheers me up and helps me see beyond the numbers on the scale.

What a difference and you are looking great.

6 hours ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Almost 4 months in, and the scale has not budged one bit in about 1.5 weeks.

Yes, I know it is normal.

Yes, I know there are countless of threads on here about exactly the same thing.

Does it make me feel any better? No 🤣

It is hard not to stop on that scale every day - I am just grateful I'll be on holiday next week and no scales will be near me!

--- end of rant ---

❤️

I'll trade you, I went 3.5 months on a stall!

20 hours ago, NickelChip said:

Oh, yes. It really is so disheartening, and knowing it's normal/expected doesn't make it feel any better! To give you an idea of how my weight loss has fluctuated, here are my monthly totals so far:

February: -16.4 lbs (2 week pre-op diet plus surgery on 2/21)

March: -11.6 lbs

April: -7.6 lbs

May: -2.8 lbs

June: -11.2 lbs

July: -1.6 lbs

August: -8.4 lbs

And so far in September I'm at a whopping -0.4 lbs for the month. Let me tell you, May and July both sucked, and I honestly don't think I did anything differently in June or August to explain the variation. It just is what it is. I'd say stay off the scale, but personally, I enjoy having the daily number because I'm obsessed with having a record to look back on, so I get having to do it every morning. I'm sure you're far from done losing, even if you're at a slow point right now.

Untitled design.png

It is really reassuring to actually see the numbers - it fluctuates so much! I haven't worked my loss out per month, but maybe I should!

You've done absolutely amazingly! ❤️❤️

18 hours ago, FifiLux said:

Oh I know, so frustrating.

For the last month or so I am losing and gaining the same 1.5kg and therefore remain 1kg to 2kg from my goal. I did so much walking in the last few days and will likely again when I go on holiday next week that I am hoping it will help with one final shift. That said the kg may be slow but the cms/inches are still dropping as jeans I put on last week which were nicely fitted are already a bit looser on the backside/thigh area yesterday.

I think sometimes the scale really doesn't help, especially when we are losing in cm/inches as you say! It is really good you are reflecting on that still and not focussing on the scale!

I am also going to be on holiday so I am hoping the extra walking will help 🤣

16 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I'll trade you, I went 3.5 months on a stall!

Oh god that is so long 😢

3 hours ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Oh god that is so long 😢

😁 Yeah it was, it was at 5 months in. My GP put me on Ozempic to break it! Now its coming off, just real slow. My first stall was 3.5 weeks, so I'm sure yours is coming to an end! Good luck and keep up the great work!

20 hours ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

I think sometimes the scale really doesn't help, especially when we are losing in cm/inches as you say! It is really good you are reflecting on that still and not focussing on the scale!

I am also going to be on holiday so I am hoping the extra walking will help 🤣

The heat might help melt a bit off also 😉

5 hours ago, FifiLux said:

The heat might help melt a bit off also 😉

I just recently learned that the heat makes you lose more weight I noticed now that I’m wearing my fitness Watch that my heart rate when I’m walking the exact distance outside is higher than indoors and it’s calculating me burning more calories. I never really thought of it but it is harder I guess.

If you’ve read all the posts, I’m sure that you’ve seen that most people drop when they finally do drop a chunk of weight like more than 1 pound I think one time I lost 4 pounds after a stall with my sleeve. 🤞

Edited by ShoppGirl

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I just recently learned that the heat makes you lose more weight I noticed now that I’m wearing my fitness Watch that my heart rate when I’m walking the exact distance outside is higher than indoors and it’s calculating me burning more calories. I never really thought of it but it is harder I guess.

I'm fairly certain its the other way around. The only thing you actually lose in hot weather is Water weight causing dehydration. So make sure you drink more water with perhaps a bit of sodium added to your food!

"You won't burn more calories in the heat, but that may be a different story in cold weather. According to the National Institutes of Health, the body works very hard to maintain its internal body temperature in both hot and cold environments.

Yet, when it's cold, heat loss occurs and the internal body temperature drops, the hypothalamus (a small region in the brain) increases the body’s metabolism to generate heat. In addition, the muscles involuntarily contract to cause shivering and generate heat. Shivering also burns calories.

However, a drop in body temperature or shivering only occurs in extreme and potentially life-threatening circumstances. Living in a cold climate does not necessarily translate to calorie burn."

https://www.today.com/health/diet-fitness/burn-calories-heat-rcna157769

1 hour ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I'm fairly certain its the other way around. The only thing you actually lose in hot weather is Water weight causing dehydration. So make sure you drink more Water with perhaps a bit of sodium added to your food!

"You won't burn more calories in the heat, but that may be a different story in cold weather. According to the National Institutes of Health, the body works very hard to maintain its internal body temperature in both hot and cold environments.

Yet, when it's cold, heat loss occurs and the internal body temperature drops, the hypothalamus (a small region in the brain) increases the body’s metabolism to generate heat. In addition, the muscles involuntarily contract to cause shivering and generate heat. Shivering also burns calories.

However, a drop in body temperature or shivering only occurs in extreme and potentially life-threatening circumstances. Living in a cold climate does not necessarily translate to calorie burn."

https://www.today.com/health/diet-fitness/burn-calories-heat-rcna157769

Maybe you don’t burn more just sitting there or if your heart rate was the same inside and out but I’m just saying that mine is higher doing what seems to be the same exercise (walking at 2.5mph on flat ground) outside vs inside so that burns more calories. Not sure why but supposedly the Apple Watch heart rate thing is like 99% accurate for lower intensity exercise and I have Ike two weeks of data that show it’s higher when I’m outside. I guess it’s possible I’m missing something but it sure seems like it is the case for me 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by ShoppGirl

Huge sympathy on the stall OP. We've all been there and they totally suck. I hope you lose loads on the way out - that's most of our experiences. Rubbish when you're in the middle though.