Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my surgeons appointment this afternoon and all went well. I’d dropped another kilo since my dietitians’ appointment a couple of weeks ago - yay! The surgeon was lovely and very approachable. The surgeon asked if I’d chosen a particular surgery and asked my reasons for it. I told him “Bypass please” and explained my thinking. He was happy and didn’t see any reason why I couldn’t have the Bypass. He then explained absolutely everything to me as we went through the consent form plus drew a couple of diagrams for me so he was extremely thorough! I felt very at ease and confident in what he was explaining. Obviously it helped that I had guidance from this forum plus had done wider reading too so nothing was a surprise even when he was explaining things that could go wrong and what steps they take to rectify any problems. It was comforting to know that they seem extremely pro-active in sorting things out and they don’t leave their patients to flounder on their own should they need help.

So, next steps…the MDT meets weekly, generally on a Friday, so my case should be heard next week. He said that none of my tests have flagged anything up, the dietitian was happy with me plus I was taking some proactive steps myself so there shouldn’t be any issues and I should progress through to surgery. I asked how long the wait was without getting a cancellation and he said 20 weeks from now so that will mean mid to end of January next year. I did stress that I would be more than happy to take a cancellation which he noted. The only problem, he said, was making sure that I still had 3 weeks to complete the LRD as sometimes the cancellations are too close to the actual day of surgery.

I’m feeling happy generally with everything. I’ve done all my stuff so now it’s down to the hospital. I have my granddaughters birthday party tomorrow, our anniversary dinner on the 15th and then I’m free and clear really. I feel I can relax a bit now. I’m as prepared as I possibly can be short of actually having the surgery!

So exciting isn’t it??

That all sounds great and it is so good to hear how you were put at ease.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone cancels with enough notice for you to do the liquids.

Oh my travel scale arrived the other day and while it is still cool, and less than 0.5lb off the main size one, I am disappointed in the weight of the scale itself. I am not sure I will bring it with me on my holidays like I planned as it is heavier than I was expecting based on the details and reviews etc.

I will bring it with me on my work trip tomorrow as I have loads of room in my case but not sure about sacrificing the weight for my holiday to the US.

YAAAAAY!!!! I'm so happy and excited for you!!!!

Sound like that went about as good as it could have gone. I’m glad your surgeon was thorough and approachable. That makes all the difference to feel well prepared.

I love a doctor who explains everything (& not using medical terminology) and draws diagrams. Glad yours does this and you feel comfortable with them and confident about the surgery. It makes such a difference.

You’re well on your way now. Yay!

16 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Had my surgeons appointment this afternoon and all went well. I’d dropped another kilo since my dietitians’ appointment a couple of weeks ago - yay! The surgeon was lovely and very approachable. The surgeon asked if I’d chosen a particular surgery and asked my reasons for it. I told him “Bypass please” and explained my thinking. He was happy and didn’t see any reason why I couldn’t have the Bypass. He then explained absolutely everything to me as we went through the consent form plus drew a couple of diagrams for me so he was extremely thorough! I felt very at ease and confident in what he was explaining. Obviously it helped that I had guidance from this forum plus had done wider reading too so nothing was a surprise even when he was explaining things that could go wrong and what steps they take to rectify any problems. It was comforting to know that they seem extremely pro-active in sorting things out and they don’t leave their patients to flounder on their own should they need help.

So, next steps…the MDT meets weekly, generally on a Friday, so my case should be heard next week. He said that none of my tests have flagged anything up, the dietitian was happy with me plus I was taking some proactive steps myself so there shouldn’t be any issues and I should progress through to surgery. I asked how long the wait was without getting a cancellation and he said 20 weeks from now so that will mean mid to end of January next year. I did stress that I would be more than happy to take a cancellation which he noted. The only problem, he said, was making sure that I still had 3 weeks to complete the LRD as sometimes the cancellations are too close to the actual day of surgery.

I’m feeling happy generally with everything. I’ve done all my stuff so now it’s down to the hospital. I have my granddaughters birthday party tomorrow, our anniversary dinner on the 15th and then I’m free and clear really. I feel I can relax a bit now. I’m as prepared as I possibly can be short of actually having the surgery!

So exciting isn’t it??

Excellent news! When I finally met with the surgeon, it was only another 2 months before they scheduled my surgery so hopefully it won't be too much longer for you!

I've loved hearing your stories and being part of your journey. I think us both being NHS patients in the UK is helpful so we can compare.

I'm so happy for you!

Thank you for the update. Your discussion with the surgeon sounds really positive. 😍

I do hope you can be slotted into a cancellation - they do come up all the time!

Edited by Spinoza

Thanks everyone 🥰

@FifiLux I’m so disappointed about the travel scale! I’m sure I had read somewhere that it weighed 1.7lbs - is that not the case? It’s still on my Amazon wish list though 😉

@NeonRaven8919 It is good to have fellow NHS patients to chat to!

6 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Thanks everyone 🥰

@FifiLux I’m so disappointed about the travel scale! I’m sure I had read somewhere that it weighed 1.7lbs - is that not the case? It’s still on my Amazon wish list though 😉

@NeonRaven8919 It is good to have fellow NHS patients to chat to!

I got mine and I didn’t weigh it but it comes with the batteries separate (not installed). I wonder if that’s the difference. Just three AAA’s though.

On 9/9/2024 at 2:19 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I got mine and I didn’t weigh it but it comes with the batteries separate (not installed). I wonder if that’s the difference. Just three AAA’s though.

I didn't weigh the weighing scale but I also am not great on gauging weights or measurements myself. I am sure it is as they say, which I didn't ready (oops) I just read the reviews of people saying how light it was to put in their luggage etc.