Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yet another holiday post 😅

My bariatric nurse has given me the go-ahead to try a small amount of alcohol whilst I am on holiday next week - I will be 4 months post-op on the 14th when I fly out!

She has suggested trying a white wine as they tend to be dry and therefore low in sugar.

Any other recommendations - such as type of alcohol, and how to go about trying it again etc ❤️

Just that it's going to hit you FAST. It goes right into your bloodstream. So just keep that in mind (it leaves my system quicker than it did before surgery, too..). And in general, be careful with alcohol as some people have trouble with it after surgery - cross-addiction is real! I limit myself to a glass or two of wine a couple of times a month. Between the surgery and the fact alcoholism runs in my family (two uncles), I don't want to take chances.

When I had the sleeve I tried it at home first. I figured if it was gonna make me feel bad I would rather it happen at home than when I was out.

my first sip of wine (red) was 3 weeks post op and i swear i felt it travelling through my intestines. i didnt get affected as i only had maybe 3-4 sips of it.

my next drink was about a month later (xmas) and it was again 3-4 sips, but this time it was a sugary sake/soju cocktail and i experienced my first dumpling episode. im talking laying on the bathroom floor type of dumping. so yeah, not good.

by 4 months (where u are now) i probably had 2 more partial drinks of vodka sodas (like ½ a glass each time), and while no dumpling, i discovered i morphed into a cheap drunk. ½ a glass was more than enough to make me feel i had 2 full ones. on the flip side, i sobered up completely in like 30-40 mins, which was different.

im six years out and my quick-sobering super power is still in tact.

i also still (mostly) stay away from sugary cocktails (i don't like the sweet anymore anyway). i generally stick to dry red wine and vodka/gin with soda or tonic Water. i do also love me espresso martinis but with just a teeeeeeny bit of kahlua cuz its sweet.

p.s. it is my understanding that, on average, red wine has less sugar content than white. so the driest red wine will ultimately have less sugar than the dryest white....correct me if im wrong, all ye wine connoisseurs...?

Edited by ms.sss

My first drink was 6 months post op but that was because I was only 6 weeks out of hospital.

I had red wine which I love on Christmas Day and the first two sips tasted rancid to me so I couldn't have more. I then had a Baileys later which I sipped and it was bliss. I had another couple of Baileys over the Christmas holidays back home.

Since then I have tried red wine again and it has been fine, as have the margaritas, Hugo's :)

My drinking days do seem to be in the past. I need a holiday, wedding or such to drink these days. My first drink was a Bloody Mary, very light on the vodka. I made it last and had no side effects. After that holiday I went on to try long drinks, vodka and diet tonic, Pimms, Dry Martini and diet tonic, Sangria or if its wintery, a spiced rum coffee. . Last Christmas I had a few glasses of wine and got totally smashed, first time in my long life that I couldn't remember where I had been. I just don't eat enough to soak up the alcohol these days. I had the foamies on a Baileys. Wine gave me terrible GERD. Enjoy your holiday

Yummmm Pimms, haven't had that in years.

@summerseeker your post reminded me to make sure if you do order a mixed drink to ask for it weak at least the first few times you go out. Just until you know how your body handles it. Sometimes if the bartender likes you they think they are being nice or doing you a favor by making your drink stronger or they just pour heavy for everyone but for us that could be a bad thing.

Edited by ShoppGirl

2 hours ago, summerseeker said:

Last Christmas I had a few glasses of wine and got totally smashed

out of curiosity... define "few".. ?

(no judgement as im probably the resident alcoholic here, just wanna know...for SCIENCE lol)

Go slowly, my first drink was a gin & tonic and I nursed that low ball for hours. Not kidding - hours at my cousin’s 40th. I chose the G & T because I was very sensitive to anything that was even the slightest sweet tasting. I actually found I lost a lot of my taste for alcohol too and some drinks I used to enjoy the taste of I didn’t until well into my 2nd year. And yes it will hit you more quickly. I still can get a bit ‘happy’ on less than a glass of something specially if I haven’t just eaten.

10 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Sometimes if the bartender likes you they think they are being nice or doing you a favor by making your drink stronger or they just pour heavy for everyone but for us that could be a bad thing.

Where can I find this bartender? :)

I think I am going to try something like chardonnay or pinot, a very SMALL glass mind you! I will see how it goes...

21 hours ago, ms.sss said:

out of curiosity... define "few".. ?

I was with a friend, she blames me, I her. I think more than a bottle each. She ended up on her back in the supermarket car park, I peed myself laughing. Everything after that has disappeared as we have no memory of it ! No clue how we got home ..... We are only 65 and have been mates since infant school. TBH we have got quite tame these last few years.

My bariatric nutritionist suggested vodka and SF cranberry juice. It's been my go to when I want a drink.

I stay away from sugary or carbonated drinks now. I used to love a frozen strawberry Margarita and occasionally miss them. But I know there are SF mixers out there. I Just haven't tried one yet.

And like everyone else said, it doesn't take much to get buzzed unless you nurse a glass for a loooong time.

Have fun on holiday!!