Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Week Follow-Up appointment and Gastritis (?)

Hi all. I am six weeks post-op from VSG and met with my doctor's team today. I have lost 22 pounds since surgery, which the team is very happy with. There was no concern about my progress at all and they said due to my weight on surgery date being 231, that I should put my expectations at 170 for my final maintenance goal.

I was asked the usual questions and asked if I am hungry between meals and I said yes. I am finding myself hungry about 2.5 hours after (some) meals. When I said I was getting hungry, I was told it was gastritis, not hunger. I said "do they feel the same?" because it sure feels like hunger to me. It's my stomach making noises, and feeling hungry in my actual stomach. It's not head-hunger because I KNOW what that is. I do understand that eating can get rid of gastritis discomfort just like it can obviously make you feel like you are no longer hungry. I do acknowledge that it's possible this is gastritis, but wondering if it really is. (?)

Per my doctor's orders: My current meals are 1 oz Protein and 2 tbsp veg or fruit for 3 meals per day. Absolutely No Snacks are allowed. Today I was told I can move down to just one Protein Shake per day. Up until today, the only "snacks" that I was permitted were Protein Shakes.

I am trying to follow the rules here, but got home and I feel so confused and even though I asked questions in the office, I have all kinds of things swirling in my head. I want to be successful, but feeling a little lost here. I know everyone's program is a little different, but wondering about the following:

1. How the heck do we know this is gastritis and NOT hunger? And, if it was hunger, do we just ignore it? (They have increased my PPI medications for now to see if it solves the "gastritis". ) If it's hunger and the increase in acid reducing medications doesn't help, am I just living with being hungry all the time? (YES I am seriously asking this because I honestly don't know what the expectation is). Unfortunately I am not one of the lucky ones who lost their feelings of hunger. I have not had any heartburn at all.

2. I don't know if any of this matters, but I swim laps pretty intensely 5 days per week for 1-1.5 hours. I suspect that part of the reason I am feeling hungry is due to the swimming. I could be wrong, but curious if anyone else thinks it has something to do with it. Prior to surgery, I was always hungrier on days that I swim.

3. My protein goal is 80 grams per day. With one single shake @ 33 grams of protein and a total of 3 oz of protein during the day with 6 tbsp of veggies, how am I supposed to meet this protein goal? My calculations tell me it's not possible.

I'm still early as I just transitioned today to "regular diet" from soft diet. So, I am still trying to figure things out and how everything will work moving forward. Your kind replies are appreciated.

Edited by SecretAgentDD

Do you have any of these symptoms? If not (and your post doesn't sound like it) then I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not gastritis. I had it and it's ROUGH. I would say it makes sense you would be hungrier on days you're more active.
What are the symptoms of gastritis?
  • Stomach upset or pain
  • Weight loss: You may lose weight without trying to
  • Tiredness: You may feel tired, short of breath, or light-headed
  • Difficulty swallowing: It may feel painful or difficult to swallow
  • Lump in your stomach: You may feel like you have a lump in your stomach
  • Belching and hiccups
  • Belly (abdominal) bleeding
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Feeling of fullness or burning in your stomach
  • Loss of appetite
  • Blood in your vomit or stool: This is a sign that your stomach lining may be bleeding

I can confirm I have burping. LOL. That's the only one I have. BUT...I have always burped a lot, pre and post surgery.

Doesn’t sound like you have gastritis based on you saying you don’t have any symptoms but belching. Seems strange your team would suggest that and not confirm you have the symptoms of gastritis.

Most times our tummy growls & rumbles it’s a sign of our digestive system working not a sign of hunger despite. What we were always told. You may find those noise are very loud and you may be someone who continues to experience this noisy digestive system. I say I have my own poltergeist rattling chains & moaning. My younger nieces & nephews think it’s hilarious.

Another thing many of us discover is that real hunger feels different. For example I get restless like something is wrong but I don’t know what. Wanting to eat and/or wanting a specific food, flavour or texture (like salty, sweet, crunchy, etc.) is head hunger.

However, it takes 2-4 hours for your tummy to empty so feeling hungry about 2.5hrs after eating could make sense. Plus add in you say you’re very active, real hunger does seem a possibility. Are they aware of how active you are? Are they concerned you aren’t meeting your Protein goal (I mean that & getting your fluids in are supposed to be our main focus)? I’d ask whether having a shake after you swim, which would help with your protein intake, would be okay. Also ask would having the additional shake sabotage your weight loss at least until you are able to eat more at each meal and are better able to reach your protein goals without it. Can’t hurt to ask.