Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Myths about Lap-Band

What did you hear about the Lap-Band that turned out to be a myth?

Is there any Myths you think should be cleared up for those looking to have the surgery?

Hi Katie,

I was told that the band would not be effective if one tended to be a sweets/icecream eater... Well... I am an ice-cream FREAK and the band is working pretty darned well for me!

I had also heard that the band was not appropriate for those in the super obese catagory that also appears to be a non fact.

At one informational meeting I attended... the surgeon said... "Well... it's obvious you all have a problem with self-control so the band is most likely not a good option for you" Needless to say... that did not end up being my surgeon. :)

I did so much research that there were no surprises by the time I was banded. But I agree with Darcy (which I've been doing a lot, lately! :) ) -- the idea that the band "doesn't work" for sweet-eaters is a total myth.

The band "works" for anyone who is willing and able to work with it. The band has not failed if someone is unable to lessen their intake of high-calorie foods after banding; the banded person needs to change his approach.

Otherwise, pretty much everything I heard has turned out to be true.

I believe that it is a myth that one could "run out of room" for fills. Many docs will try to discourage their patients from getting fills too often, because the bands will only hold so much, and once the person reaches the "max" they have no where to go.

I have never heard of anyone NOT being totally closed off at the band's full fill capacity.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="title">What did you hear about the Lap-Band that turned out to be a myth and is there any Myths you think should be cleared up for those looking to have the surgery?</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Myth #1. "Many prominent bariatric surgeons are not doing this surgery, it must not work."

This is not the reason, the truth is that not all insurance companies cover this new surgery and many facilities do not want to handle non insurance covered treatments.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Myth #2. "If I am 100 pounds or more overweight, Lap-Band Surgery won't do me any good."

This is definately not true. There are many benefits (and risks) to have this surgery and many surgeons will preform it on those of the "heavier" end of the scale.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" class="paragraph">Myth #3. "The Adjustable Gastric Banding (lap-band) is not as successful as the Gastric Bypass."

In recent studies it has be proven that the Lap-Band is as successful as the Gastric Bypass if not more successful. Although the rate of weight loss is significatly reduced after 2 years the weight loss in either patients will start to match up. </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Myth #4. "I heard I will only have two years to loose all the weight I want then I can't loose anymore"

This is the best part about the Lap-Band. After 6 months, a year, 2 or 3 years and even the rest of your life you will always be able to adjust the fill in your band which in return will allow you to loose more weight.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" class="paragraph">Myth #5: "I was told that the band would not be effective if one tended to be a sweets/icecream eater"

Well... I am an ice-cream FREAK and the band is working pretty darned well for me! Although every person is different many lap-band patients have no problem eating sweets.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"><hr></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Myth #6: "I heard that one could "run out of room" for fills. Many docs will try to discourage their patients from getting fills too often, because the bands will only hold so much, and once the person reaches the "max" they have no where to go." I have never heard of anyone NOT being totally closed off at the band's full fill capacity.

ANY MORE?

</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Actually, on Myth #5 - the reason some docs say that if you're a sweet eater the band won't work for you is because most "sweet" things will slide right past the band - like chocolate, high calorie drinks, ice cream, etc. So THEY think that sweet eaters will "eat around the band." Many sweet eaters are just as successful as quantity eaters with the band. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a band patient can tolerate sweets, which is what this comment implies to me:

Although every person is different many lap-band patients have no problem eating sweets.

With the bypass many patients have problems eating sweets because their anatomy has been changed, and the sugar gets dumped into their digestive tract too quickly, which causes dumping syndrome. That is NOT the case with the band, since the anatomy remains intact the body handles the food in the same way as it did prior to banding.

So again, the concern re:sweet eaters and the band is the MYTH that sweet eaters will just eat around the band with their sugary choices and therefore not lose weight.

I had also heard that the band was not appropriate for those in the super obese catagory that also appears to be a non fact.

At one informational meeting I attended... the surgeon said... "Well... it's obvious you all have a problem with self-control so the band is most likely not a good option for you" Needless to say... that did not end up being my surgeon. :)

My husband was in the Super, Super Morbidly Obese catagory (that is for folks who have a BMI of great 60) His BMI was 85.5. His bmi is now 60, which still super, super, but once he loses 5 pounds, he will just be Super MO... :) He's been quite successful

I too am very worried about ice cream since it is my most problematic food. I do not want to go through this whole thing just to keep struggling with something. How does the band work with ice cream? I am definately willing to work a program and keep up with everything, but how easy is it to eat ice cream once you are banded? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

That it only takes a few fills to get restriction. I have a fickle band and I have had 20 fills and unfills in 2 years. Yikes!

Sweets, Ice Cream, etc. are not hard to eat once banded... the problem is that the band is a tool to help you eat less and does not perform as a malabsorptive. That is to say, it doesn't negate calories, it helps you to not overeat by limiting physical quantity.

Ice cream, shakes, sweets, etc. will go down as easy as anything else, maybe too much so.

I forget the post I saw recently, but someone said you don't have to count calories, just mind your restriction. That sounds to me like the biggest myth of all - one that propogates as a result of a lifetime of bad food choices and justification.

A bander living on ice cream, burgers, pizza, etc. will not succeed. I am not saying that those posting here will do that, but the point is that too many calories and fat is still too many calories and fat, regardless of whether you have a band or not.

My sugeon said no dairy food, i am eating dairy all low fat and losing weight. Any ideas? i am a massive cheese fan, but count that in my calories for the day.

One of the myths I had before getting the band was that there would be certain foods that I would never be able to eat after the band - that turned out to be completely false...

First, I was surprised to find that when I had absolutely NO restriction (the first few months after surgery), I could eat any food type and never had any problems with the food getting stuck. After a few fills when I started to get restriction, it started to change, but it was a matter of learning how to chew and be careful. There really isn't anything that I'm not physically able to eat if I really want it. This may vary person to person, however.

Another myth, not for the lap-band but for bariatric surgeries in general, is that this is the "easy way out"... I have personally never worked so hard at something in my life! It may have been said before but it bears repeating - the lap band is a tool... an excellent tool, but one that needs to be used right in order to work. I still have to work hard to lose weight, but the lap-band made what was an impossible challenge possible.

This is a great thread.

Hopelives--About ice cream, this is my experience. I was a huge sweets eater, especially ice cream. It definitely goes down easy, but my desire to eat it is different than before. First, you spend a month post op eating a pretty restricted diet. You lose weight, and your tastes change somewhat. Then because you are losing weight, that keeps you (at least me) from reaching for the ice cream, or buying it. For the first 6 months, I didn't keep it in the house at all, and if I wanted some ice cream my hubby and I would go to a local gelato shop for a scoop. Now I do keep some low-cal ice cream (or low-cal fudge bars) in my freezer but I usually forget it's there. So, while it will go through the band just fine, you may find that your desire for it goes down significantly. Some people do have trouble with it though, and it sabotages their weight loss--especially if they have too-tight restriction and they can't eat solid foods.

That myth about never counting calories or "dieting" is a good one! Just eating smaller portions of what you normally ate might get you by at first, although chances are it won't provide very good nutrition. But as you get closer to goal you do have to watch what you eat. It's best to get those good healthy eating habits established from the start, rather than try to change when you stop losing weight. That's not to say that you can't enjoy dining out or a treat anymore. When I was dieting pre-band, something like that could sabotage a whole week of weight loss. Now I do keep portions smaller, but I have to compensate by eating well the rest of the time.

One myth I see a lot is that you aren't "restricted" unless you can only eat a few ounces, 1/4 cup of food, or whatever. The band isn't meant to starve you! A lot of docs unfortunately seem to tell their patients they should be eating 4 oz. or less per meal, but that is a gastric bypass thing--they pass it on to their band patients too. Also, some people think that they aren't restricted unless they PB a lot--also not true. I think there are a lot of myths around restriction--what it is, what it isn't.

Great thread!