Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

54 minutes ago, BigSue said:

Shoes are extremely individual. I'm into Hokas (I currently wear Clifton 9s), but Brooks are also really popular. There are a lot of options, though, and it all depends on your feet and personal preferences.

If you live near a Fleet Feet store, go there! They have a foot scanner that ensures you get the right size and also shows info like how high your arches are. Most of the salespeople are very knowledgeable and can help you find the right shoes for you. For almost everything, I prefer shopping online, but you really have to try on shoes before you buy them, and it's best to try on a lot of pairs at once so you can compare and contrast to find your favorites.

The Clifton 9 is the one I just ordered. I don’t have a fleet feet but I have a friend in a little bigger city i will ask her if she has that store or a Foot Locker like @Arabesque suggested. For stuff like this I usually end up either going witb her or ordering a few options and returning whatever doesn’t work. I thought the HOKA were really cute though and like I said two people recommended them to me so I figured I’d give them a try.

17 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

The Clifton 9 is the one I just ordered. I don’t have a fleet feet but I have a friend in a little bigger city i will ask her if she has that store or a Foot Locker like @Arabesque suggested. For stuff like this I usually end up either going witb her or ordering a few options and returning whatever doesn’t work. I thought the HOKA were really cute though and like I said two people recommended them to me so I figured I’d give them a try.

I hope you like them! If there's no Fleet Feet or Foot Locker in your town, you can try Googling for "running store" and you might find something in or near your town. Most running stores will measure your feet and give you personalized recommendations, either based on a scan or by observing your gait or both.

5 hours ago, BigSue said:

I hope you like them! If there's no Fleet Feet or Foot Locker in your town, you can try Googling for "running store" and you might find something in or near your town. Most running stores will measure your feet and give you personalized recommendations, either based on a scan or by observing your gait or both.

Thanks!!

My entire family wears On Cloud s.

Me, Mr. and the Kid have multiple pairs of them for various purposes.

The name is fitting as its really like walking on a cloud when i wear them.

Here are the ones i wear for walking (i couldn't find them on the website, so i took a pic of mine...sorry kinda dirty, i'm on vacay and will clean them when i get home! lol)

IMG_6882.thumb.jpeg.33ea118dcb8e49e86b214830a12a6797.jpeg

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

My entire family wears On Cloud s.

Me, Mr. and the Kid have multiple pairs of them for various purposes.

The name is fitting as its really like walking on a cloud when i wear them.

Here are the ones i wear for walking (i couldn't find them on the website, so i took a pic of mine...sorry kinda dirty, i'm on vacay and will clean them when i get home! lol)

IMG_6882.thumb.jpeg.33ea118dcb8e49e86b214830a12a6797.jpeg

Oh they do look comfy. I will check them out too. That’s for the suggestion and I hope you enjoy your vacation!!

On 8/27/2024 at 5:53 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I am only 3 weeks post surgery but I am hoping that the weight loss will allow me to handle the heat a bit better and I can get out and walk some around the neighborhood. I need some good sneakers for walking though. Any suggestions.

Tbh...there is no "best shoe for walking." One type might be great for me and not you. Plus, one might be great for being 100+ over weight, but not at healthy weight.

Your best bet is to go to decent podiatrist and ask their opinion or a shoe store and try them on, tell them what you are needing and looking for in a shoe.

Posted (edited)

Got my HOKA shoes today. Pretty fast shipping from the manufacturer site. They shipped the next day and arrived two days later. They look just like they did in the picture and they fit perfectly. I have walked around the house for like an hour and so far they are really comfy. LOTS of padding on the bottom compared to my everyday Sketchers. Almost put a Spring into my step. Guess I won’t really know for absolute certain until I wear them for an actual walk but so far so good. 😊

Edited by ShoppGirl

I have worn many expensive brands of workout shoes over the years. Most recent, post op, were Nikes for walking. Averaging 14 miles a week. I started to develop a painful corn/bunion on my right foot and it was starting to effect my walks, slowing me down. I didn't relish the thought of having it surgically removed. Until....

I was out thrifting and picked up a new pair of G Defy walking shoes. Never heard of them but were my size so I tried them on and stood up. I remember saying out loud... holy shi*. I googled them and saw they sold for over $160. They immediately went in my cart.

I put them on when I got home and went for my daily 2 mile walk. The shoe corrected my supinated gait and there was no longer any pressure or pain with that corn. I couldn't believe it. I thought this is a miracle shoe. I ordered another pair from their website after reading the history of how and why this shoe was created. The corn is shrinking since there is no longer any more pressure from wearing the expensive pair of Nikes. Obviously name brands mean nothing people.

When my new pair came in the mail, printed on the box it read, "Here's your miracle." If that isn't some kind of sign I don't know what is. Happy walking. https://www.gravitydefyer.com/about-us

Okay here an update on the HOKA shoes post 30 minute or 1.26 mile walk according to my Apple Watch. (My first one in a very long time so don’t judge). I absolutely love them. Never in my life have I owned a shoe that right out of the box did not give me blisters somewhere and my feet don’t hurt at all.

I’m starting to think that others are right and everyone’s feet are very unique because I’m loving these for sure. Thinking I may even ask for another pair for everyday for Christmas that are a little less flashy than these. 😉

40 minutes ago, BabySpoons said:

I have worn many expensive brands of workout shoes over the years. Most recent, post op, were Nikes for walking. Averaging 14 miles a week. I started to develop a painful corn/bunion on my right foot and it was starting to effect my walks, slowing me down. I didn't relish the thought of having it surgically removed. Until....

I was out thrifting and picked up a new pair of G Defy walking shoes. Never heard of them but were my size so I tried them on and stood up. I remember saying out loud... holy shi*. I googled them and saw they sold for over $160. They immediately went in my cart.

I put them on when I got home and went for my daily 2 mile walk. The shoe corrected my supinated gait and there was no longer any pressure or pain with that corn. I couldn't believe it. I thought this is a miracle shoe. I ordered another pair from their website after reading the history of how and why this shoe was created. The corn is shrinking since there is no longer any more pressure from wearing the expensive pair of Nikes. Obviously name brands mean nothing people.

When my new pair came in the mail, printed on the box it read, "Here's your miracle." If that isn't some kind of sign I don't know what is. Happy walking. https://www.gravitydefyer.com/about-us

That is actually a super good idea and way to try out different brands of shoes since you can’t really wear new ones much and still be able to return them. We coukd pick up a couple of pairs at a thrift and wear them for a day and see if they are really good before committing to an expensive pair. I love to go thrifting. I have my new HOKAs for now but I will try some of these other brands if I come across them now. Maybe I will find some I like even better.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

That is actually a super good idea and way to try out different brands of shoes since you can’t really wear new ones much and still be able to return them. We coukd pick up a couple of pairs at a thrift and wear them for a day and see if they are really good before committing to an expensive pair. I love to go thrifting. I have my new HOKAs for now but I will try some of these other brands if I come across them now. Maybe I will find some I like even better.

I agree to a point (saving money), unfortunately each person when walking has numerous movements and micro movements as well as a unique shape to their/your foot and wear patterns...as long as the thrift shoe hasn't been worn much trying a shoe to see if it will work for you might or might not work. For instance, if someone pronates and you supinate it will work against you and you won't be able to properly judge the shoe since the wear and tear to the sole and shoe bed will be affected differently.

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

1 hour ago, BabySpoons said:

I'm going to check out these shoes, the back story sounds amazing! I have permanent shin splints and that is one of the conditions they support help! Thanks for the suggestion.

20 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I agree to a point (saving money), unfortunately each person when walking has numerous movements and micro movements as well as a unique shape to their/your foot and wear patterns...as long as the thrift shoe hasn't been worn much trying a shoe to see if it will work for you might or might not work. For instance, if someone pronates and you supinate it will work against you and you won't be able to properly judge the shoe since the wear and tear to the sole and shoe bed will be affected differently.

Good point. Didn’t think of that.

On 8/31/2024 at 7:49 PM, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

as long as the thrift shoe hasn't been worn much

That is a major point I forgot to mention. If I buy a pair of shoes second hand, I make sure they are either new or have little to no wear on them. A worn out pair of shoes no matter the brand won't do anyone any good.

Thanks @BlondePatriotInCDA for pointing that out.