Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys. Just venting. Its my 3rd period and im very emotional. Its my second day & im trying to be patient with myself but its like ughhh all this crying lol. I know it wont last so im staying strong

Oh I hear you.

I had gone almost a year with no period and one week shy of being classed menopausal it reappeared and now has been every two weeks. I now recognise it the day before as I suddenly want to, and can, eat more, but still small by previous standards. It is a pain in the ass as I can't trust a schedule anymore and I had to go out and buy all new period underwear (old ones were thrown out as I thought I had no use for them anymore and they were now massive). Now for travelling next month I have to be prepared for what may come!

I think my system is shot after all my surgery complications.

3 hours ago, FifiLux said:

Oh I hear you.

I had gone almost a year with no period and one week shy of being classed menopausal it reappeared and now has been every two weeks. I now recognise it the day before as I suddenly want to, and can, eat more, but still small by previous standards. It is a pain in the ass as I can't trust a schedule anymore and I had to go out and buy all new period underwear (old ones were thrown out as I thought I had no use for them anymore and they were now massive). Now for travelling next month I have to be prepared for what may come!

I think my system is shot after all my surgery complications.

Did you know they actually make period underwear now that absorbs the blood. They have it in several different brands that come in a number of different styles. An alternative I just did was to get a mirena IUD. For most people it stops the periods. They last 8 years now too so probably only one insertion and removal will carry you right into menopause.

5 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Did you know they actually make period underwear now that absorbs the blood. They have it in several different brands that come in a number of different styles. An alternative I just did was to get a mirena IUD. For most people it stops the periods. They last 8 years now too so probably only one insertion and removal will carry you right into menopause.

Slightly off topic but I had to buy period underwear yesterday only because I’m about to have a hysterectomy. It was weird and I had to do a bit of reading (I’m a researcher) about the period pants because they didn’t have them back in my day (that makes me sound ancient lol but have been menopausal for 8 years or so). Also thought I should buy a pack of pads too just in case the surgeon prefers they’re used post surgery. OMG I didn’t know where to start. Couldn’t remember the brand I used to prefer and they’re are thousands of options now. Good Lord!

The oestrogen flush is very common after surgery @Dchonlee and can persist until you’ve lost most of the weight you have to lose (which I know you’re nearing) but maybe get your hormone levels checked to see what they are.

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Slightly off topic but I had to buy period underwear yesterday only because I’m about to have a hysterectomy. It was weird and I had to do a bit of reading (I’m a researcher) about the period pants because they didn’t have them back in my day (that makes me sound ancient lol but have been menopausal for 8 years or so). Also thought I should buy a pack of pads too just in case the surgeon prefers they’re used post surgery. OMG I didn’t know where to start. Couldn’t remember the brand I used to prefer and they’re are thousands of options now. Good Lord!

The oestrogen flush is very common after surgery @Dchonlee and can persist until you’ve lost most of the weight you have to lose (which I know you’re nearing) but maybe get your hormone levels checked to see what they are.

Yea. Technically I guess they do have them during my day since I am still menstruating but they didn’t have them when I was young either. I was pretty excited to see them. I ordered them when they only had one brand and they weren’t very comfortable for me but now they have all different cuts of panties.

Not sure if the bleeding is heavy for hysterectomy (I assume it is) but I had a procedure to remove polyps and I woke up with a post partum pad and they are huge and uncomfortable during the day but the absolute best for sleeping. It’s really long so it doesn’t leak even with pretty heavy bleeding when you’re lying down. I asked the nurse for a few extras in case I needed them but the bleeding slowed pretty quick for me. I ended up giving my niece all the feminine products I had when I got the IUD and my periods stopped but I kept those big pads for any future procedures.

My advice is to ask for a few more of them pads at the hospital and even their panty liners were better at their office than you can find in the store. The adhesive actually covers the whole width of them so it doesn’t try to fold in towards the middle like the ones that just have one line of adhesive down the middle. I asked them for a few of the liners at my post op as well and saved them for when I was going to be out and about. Bring your big purse. 😆

Ooh and if you need to do ice post op, there is an ice pack on Amazon that is actually made for your back but I have one and realized it works great for my post SADI incisions that are most painful which are low on the abdomen (I’m assuming that’s where they are for a hysterectomy). It Velcro’s around you like a belt that has a pouch for the ice pack. It also comes with a heat pack and works great for the intended use which is for low back pain. It’s called Magic Gel.

Edited by ShoppGirl

16 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Yes, I had great ones for a few years from Marks & Spencer but after my surgery they didn't fit anymore so wouldn't exactly seal/hold anything in if you get what I mean. Once my periods started again back in April I got more M&S but they aren't as nice a style as they used to be so now I have gotten some Modibodi ones plus a swimshort.

The period pants remind me a bit of adult nappy pull-ups @ShoppGirl but I’m hoping they’ll be more comfortable and less bulky than pads. They say you bleed for about a week like a normal period after the hysterectomy but I guess with all things it could be longer or shorter or heavier or lighter than they say because what the hell is a ‘normal’ period.

The surgeon actually says to bring your own pads for after they remove the plug of wadding they insert after they remove everything (my friend described the plug as the biggest tampon and it hurt like hell to remove it - yikes).

Yes, the wounds will be lower: one just above each hip bone, one above the pelvic bone & one in my poor belly button (that will make three there - but worried about scar tissue with that more).

Thanks for the Amazon ice pack tip just in case.

44 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

The period pants remind me a bit of adult nappy pull-ups @ShoppGirl but I’m hoping they’ll be more comfortable and less bulky than pads. They say you bleed for about a week like a normal period after the hysterectomy but I guess with all things it could be longer or shorter or heavier or lighter than they say because what the hell is a ‘normal’ period.

The surgeon actually says to bring your own pads for after they remove the plug of wadding they insert after they remove everything (my friend described the plug as the biggest tampon and it hurt like hell to remove it - yikes).

Yes, the wounds will be lower: one just above each hip bone, one above the pelvic bone & one in my poor belly button (that will make three there - but worried about scar tissue with that more).

Thanks for the Amazon ice pack tip just in case.

OMG that plug thing sounds like torture. I swear if men had these female procedures too they would come up with better ideas to make this stuff less painful. The underwear i ordered were pretty thick too if that’s what you mean. They were more comfortable around the house than pads for sure, but they were pretty bulky under clothes (they showed through in the back). This was a few years ago so hopefully they are better now but I would try them on with pants or whatever you plan to wear home and make sure they aren’t too bulky underneath just in case if that will bother you