Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I mean, at this point I give up trying to figure it out...

14 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I'm a lot weaker than I used to be. I've been losing a lot of strength. I'm always tired and super fatigued. I'm losing muscle. I'm losing stamina. I'm getting more headaches. Not to mention how bony and veiny I look. My clothes and jewelry literally hang on me. I'm noticing I'm achy more often, such as muscles and joints. I take my Vitamins everyday. I take an Iron supplement but now need to start my Iron infusions again.

I am not sure what age you are but did you get your hormones checked at all recently?

Maybe some of the symptoms you are feeling are connected to peri/menopause. I thought my exhaustion and lack of concentration was all part of my bariatric recovery however my GP had me do a hormone test and now I am on HRT which has made a huge difference.

May not apply to you at all but just something to maybe consider getting tested if you haven't already.

Just a thought whilst reading through others comments. I know you said that carbs are hard to increase, however I think that is the culprit. I work out 6days a week and I am closer to 80g of carbs and 30 ish g of fat most days. You don't have to eat bread but fruits, and veggies have carbs. I am not saying goes balls to the wall, but if your working out then 1800 cal is not cutting it. My BMR to maintain is close to 2500 calories, I eat about 1500 cal right now just because I cannot physically eat that much. I checked to see how many calories I need to gain weight and I would need to consume 3300 calories a day! I am not saying stuff yourself, but eating every 1/5-2hrs will be beneficial- add granola to your yogurt, Protein Bar right after working out, eat some Peanut Butter balls with oatmeal, maple Syrup, caco nibs or chocolate chips, add cottage cheese to eggs with a handful of spinach. Beefing up your meals will help you feel better. Maybe you know all this but just my two cents :)

3 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

No, I don't. I didn't think about that, either. I'm going to look into getting one of those next payday. Now that you mentioned it, I'm curious what my daily steps are. I hadn't given it a single thought. Now I wonder how much actual "working out" I'm doing 5 days per week at work....

So I follow this fitness guru who’s very very well read on everything health and fitness. His client success stories are insane and what they all have in common is that they keep the weight off. His first and foremost advice is to walk 10k steps and eat at a slight caloric deficit. His clients literally follow that and drop tons of weight. He keeps telling people that if they don’t want to lose too much weight or slow weight loss they need to not exceed 10k steps a day. I see a lot of messages directed to him from people working in the health industry who complain that their steps are beyond 30k which is insane and he always tells them to never drop their calories below 2000 for females (sometimes 2500 depending on weight and height). You probably walk a lot and you are definitely at a calorie deficit which is causing this inadvertent weight loss. I would say get even a cheap sports watch (huwaei is a good one) to get an idea of what your daily step count is. Also you might think you’re working out twice a week but it seems you’re working out daily doing your job.

Posted (edited)

If all you need is the step counter function you can get an old school pedometer for like $7 or $8 on Walmart.com and a pedometer watch for 10 bucks (although the clip on one would be hidden) Most of the fitness watches cost a little more (the cheapest I seen is $15) I assume because they also record heart rate but that’s more for speed walking or other exercise not just walking around work.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 08/25/2024 at 07:50, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Ok what??? HOW??? I was staying between 177-179 for the last few weeks so I thought I was FINALLY at the place my body was setting at. Apparently not!!! I've even increased how often I eat. But it seems like the more I eat, the more I lose. The less I eat, that's when my weight stays pretty much the same. And that seems pretty messed up to me. So I have to starve myself to STOP losing weight but if I eat well I'll keep going lower??? What??? I don't WANT to go lower. I was supposed to stop at 190!! Make it make sense, cuz the math ain't mathin. Just had blood work done. Other than being anemic (thanks lupus!!) everything was normal, including my thyroid.

My nutritionist and I got my calories up to 1600 per day when not working out and 1800 when I am. Protein up to 90g on non work out days and 120g on work out days. Carbs are trickier since I'm super sensitive to them, but we got them up to 35g on non work out days (up from 20-25) and 45g on work out days (up from 35). Healthy fats we upped to 70g on non work out days and 100g on work out days. My fluids are always good. Normally I drink around 80 fl oz on non work out days and 100+ on work out days, which 20 of those being an electrolyte drink like Prime hydration, Propel, or Gatorade zero.

Being that I'm 2 years and 4 months removed from my 1st surgery and 1 year and 2 months removed from my revision, she's really surprised that I'm still losing. I said "You and me both, lady. Now how do I make it stop?" She said to just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully my body will eventually hit it's set point and stop on its own. Um...what?? I'm now 15 pounds below my goal. I understand the whole "bounce back weight gain" or whatever it is, but that can't happen until my body finally picks a weight to settle at.

I really don't like how I look at this point, and it's frustrating that nothing fits...again. I know it seems crazy to complain about this kind of thing, and believe me, I never EVER thought I would be the one doing it. But something's gotta give, you know? I'm really starting to look sickly, and in my line of work, that's not a good thing at all.

456425115_2930361697126409_1706560560450473929_n.jpg

Ive been following your story. I think i dont fully realize the extent of how much this is out of our control. Im 3 months post and im already close to my goal. My fear is that after a year ill be down further than i want and ill look sick😔😖. One can only hope that itll stop at a decent weight

10 hours ago, FifiLux said:

I am not sure what age you are but did you get your hormones checked at all recently?

Maybe some of the symptoms you are feeling are connected to peri/menopause. I thought my exhaustion and lack of concentration was all part of my bariatric recovery however my GP had me do a hormone test and now I am on HRT which has made a huge difference.

May not apply to you at all but just something to maybe consider getting tested if you haven't already.

I'm 46. I had a complete hysterectomy including my ovaries removed and I am on hormones. I'm on the max dose and have been doing really well on them. This has been since May 7th of this year. So almost 4 months.

9 hours ago, AmberFL said:

Just a thought whilst reading through others comments. I know you said that carbs are hard to increase, however I think that is the culprit. I work out 6days a week and I am closer to 80g of carbs and 30 ish g of fat most days. You don't have to eat bread but fruits, and veggies have carbs. I am not saying goes balls to the wall, but if your working out then 1800 cal is not cutting it. My BMR to maintain is close to 2500 calories, I eat about 1500 cal right now just because I cannot physically eat that much. I checked to see how many calories I need to gain weight and I would need to consume 3300 calories a day! I am not saying stuff yourself, but eating every 1/5-2hrs will be beneficial- add granola to your yogurt, Protein Bar right after working out, eat some Peanut Butter balls with oatmeal, maple Syrup, caco nibs or chocolate chips, add cottage cheese to eggs with a handful of spinach. Beefing up your meals will help you feel better. Maybe you know all this but just my two cents :)

It's not that it's hard to increase them per se, it's that they make me sick if they go too high. But I've been working on that more. I also cut out my working out (it went to 2 days a week because I work all week) but since I'm a medical assistant and on my feet most of the day, I decided to stop the weekend work outs for a bit and see how that plays out.

12 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I'm 46. I had a complete hysterectomy including my ovaries removed and I am on hormones. I'm on the max dose and have been doing really well on them. This has been since May 7th of this year. So almost 4 months.

You and your body have been through a lot over the last few years.

15 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

It's not that it's hard to increase them per se, it's that they make me sick if they go too high. But I've been working on that more. I also cut out my working out (it went to 2 days a week because I work all week) but since I'm a medical assistant and on my feet most of the day, I decided to stop the weekend work outs for a bit and see how that plays out.

your body might enjoy the rest too! :) Let us know how it goes!

So now I'm just PI$$ed!!!! I've been working with the fairly useless nutritionist to try and gain weight...as you know. Well the nurse practitioner from the surgeon's office called today because they want me to schedule Iron infusions (I knew that was coming) and she said I should schedule an appointment to see her because the nutritionist mentioned I'm trying to gain weight and she's confused by that because I'm only barely out of the obese category and I still have more to go before I should be looking at maintaining, nevermind gaining anything. Ok...WHAT??!?!

I told her I don't want to lose more because I was already below where I want to be and I'm not feeling great and she said I just need to add muscle. She said I'm losing muscle as well as fat and I need to start eating and doing work outs that promote bulking up to try and gain the muscle back. She said that will actually help me tone up and I'll lose more weight. I asked her how, since muscle weighs more than fat, and she said because I'll still be losing fat while I'm gaining muscle, but I'll also be toning up. She wants me to drop another 20-25 pounds and then add 5-10 back on in muscle. I told her there's absolutely no way that will happen because I don't have the time, energy, stamina, or strength to do it.

And do you know what this heifer said???? She said "Well, you can let it slide if you want, but you didn't come this far just to come this far, did you? You're so close to the finish line. Let me help you finish strong." I literally LOST IT. I said "LADY, I FINISHED STRONG 15 POUNDS AGO!!! Since when do you get to decide what our goal weight is? I moved my goal weight twice. First it was 200, then it was 195, then it was 190. I was happy then, and now my body won't stop. I want it to stop. You're the OPPOSITE of helpful." I've never wanted to slap the taste out of someone so bad in my LIFE!!!!

26 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

So now I'm just PI$$ed!!!! I've been working with the fairly useless nutritionist to try and gain weight...as you know. Well the nurse practitioner from the surgeon's office called today because they want me to schedule Iron infusions (I knew that was coming) and she said I should schedule an appointment to see her because the nutritionist mentioned I'm trying to gain weight and she's confused by that because I'm only barely out of the obese category and I still have more to go before I should be looking at maintaining, nevermind gaining anything. Ok...WHAT??!?!

I told her I don't want to lose more because I was already below where I want to be and I'm not feeling great and she said I just need to add muscle. She said I'm losing muscle as well as fat and I need to start eating and doing work outs that promote bulking up to try and gain the muscle back. She said that will actually help me tone up and I'll lose more weight. I asked her how, since muscle weighs more than fat, and she said because I'll still be losing fat while I'm gaining muscle, but I'll also be toning up. She wants me to drop another 20-25 pounds and then add 5-10 back on in muscle. I told her there's absolutely no way that will happen because I don't have the time, energy, stamina, or strength to do it.

And do you know what this heifer said???? She said "Well, you can let it slide if you want, but you didn't come this far just to come this far, did you? You're so close to the finish line. Let me help you finish strong." I literally LOST IT. I said "LADY, I FINISHED STRONG 15 POUNDS AGO!!! Since when do you get to decide what our goal weight is? I moved my goal weight twice. First it was 200, then it was 195, then it was 190. I was happy then, and now my body won't stop. I want it to stop. You're the OPPOSITE of helpful." I've never wanted to slap the taste out of someone so bad in my LIFE!!!!

The ONLY thing out of that that sounds even remotely helpful for you to accomplish what YOU want for YOUR body would be to do some strength training. But to do that you’re definitely going to need to increase your carbs. Did she ever answer why it could be that carbs are causing such an issue for you? That would be the best place to start. I really do think you need to see someone else. is it just certain types of carbs or any carbs? You said too many cause you to feel sick, is that too many in a day or too many in one sitting? Could you eat more times a day, maybe?!

9 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

It’s like they are only seeing numbers and scales and recommended weights for heights blah, blah, blah but not the actual person at the bottom of it all. I’m not surprised that you’re pissed, to be fair, I would be too.

Carbs - is it all carbs that give you grief regardless of where they come from or specific types like bread, flour, potatoes etc? If it’s all types then it’s a very slow process of getting some in to your body and finding the balance. If it’s certain types then it’s looking at what you can manage and again, slowly building up until you find your balance and a weight that’s working for YOU, not the medical staff. Did you find some good quality fats that you were happy with? Have you skipped the low fat/calorie foods and introduced some higher fat/calorie replacements?

You have come so far and done so amazingly well. At the end of it all, it’s YOUR body, YOUR health and YOUR wellbeing, no one else’s. Have you thought about some of the liquid meal-replacement type options that you would give someone if they were ill? Just something that might give you a bit of a boost on top of your Iron infusion?

Big hugs 🤗

9 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

The ONLY thing out of that that sounds even remotely helpful for you to accomplish what YOU want for YOUR body would be to do some strength training. But to do that you’re definitely going to need to increase your carbs. Did she ever answer why it could be that carbs are causing such an issue for you? That would be the best place to start. I really do think you need to see someone else. is it just certain types of carbs or any carbs? You said too many cause you to feel sick, is that too many in a day or too many in one sitting? Could you eat more times a day, maybe?!

This was at my bariatric surgeon's office, so I'm not sure if I can see anyone else for my yearly blood work and follow ups. At this point, I'm not sure I even want to bother anymore. As far as the carbs go, I can't tolerate more than 10-12 carbs per sitting and no mare than 40-45 total per day before I get sick. And by sick, I mean SICK. Light headed, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, shaking, serious fatigue, headache, It's like I went from being a carbaholic to my body almost not being able to process them at all. And there doesn't seem to be much difference in the type of carbs, either. Although bad carbs send me over the edge almost immediately, long before I get anywhere near my limit. But as far as actually going over the limit before getting sick, my body doesn't care if it's good or bad carbs. It just doesn't like them. Period.

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

It’s like they are only seeing numbers and scales and recommended weights for heights blah, blah, blah but not the actual person at the bottom of it all. I’m not surprised that you’re pissed, to be fair, I would be too.

Carbs - is it all carbs that give you grief regardless of where they come from or specific types like bread, flour, potatoes etc? If it’s all types then it’s a very slow process of getting some in to your body and finding the balance. If it’s certain types then it’s looking at what you can manage and again, slowly building up until you find your balance and a weight that’s working for YOU, not the medical staff. Did you find some good quality fats that you were happy with? Have you skipped the low fat/calorie foods and introduced some higher fat/calorie replacements?

You have come so far and done so amazingly well. At the end of it all, it’s YOUR body, YOUR health and YOUR wellbeing, no one else’s. Have you thought about some of the liquid meal-replacement type options that you would give someone if they were ill? Just something that might give you a bit of a boost on top of your Iron infusion?

Big hugs 🤗

It seems to be all carbs that give me trouble, although "bad" carbs make me sick almost immediately. My body went from constantly craving carbs to seemingly not being able to process them anymore. It's really weird. And frankly, annoying.

And I agree, a few of my doctors are seeing numbers on the scale and bmi and not me as a person and my overall progress. I've lost 246 pounds from my highest weight. And 213 pounds from my original surgery weight. And that still doesn't seem like it's good enough!!! My current weight is lower than some other people's final ending goal weight. THEIR doctor's are ok with that, yet MINE seem to think I need to lose more, more, MORE!!! This is how people fall into disordered thinking and eating. I'm trying very hard for that NOT to happen to me again, and this is not helping.

Also, yes I have started adding a Chobani Complete liquid Greek yogurt to my Snacks. They have 20g of Protein, 15g of carbs, and 180 calories per serving. I've got myself up to 40 carbs per day with that (without working out) and seem to be doing ok, so I'm going to go up to 45 carbs daily without working out (that's where I was at but with workouts) and then sloooowly try to increase from there and see if I can. My body just really resists carbs, so it's really slow going.

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023

1 hour ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

This was at my bariatric surgeon's office, so I'm not sure if I can see anyone else for my yearly blood work and follow ups. At this point, I'm not sure I even want to bother anymore. As far as the carbs go, I can't tolerate more than 10-12 carbs per sitting and no mare than 40-45 total per day before I get sick. And by sick, I mean SICK. Light headed, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, shaking, serious fatigue, headache, It's like I went from being a carbaholic to my body almost not being able to process them at all. And there doesn't seem to be much difference in the type of carbs, either. Although bad carbs send me over the edge almost immediately, long before I get anywhere near my limit. But as far as actually going over the limit before getting sick, my body doesn't care if it's good or bad carbs. It just doesn't like them. Period.

That seems so bizarre I really hope Someone can figure out WHY the carbs are such an issue. If it’s not going to be the surgeons office then look elsewhere. And whatever you do, please do not skip the labs. They are really important and a Vitamin being out of whack can case its own host of symptoms some of which are irreparable. I am pretty sure your family provider can order them. The surgeons office should be able to provide them with a list of what they normally order.