Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I mean, at this point I give up trying to figure it out...

I’ve had a play on the internet and found some info regarding different issues with carbs. I don’t know if this would be any use for you to take to your Doctor to have checked out?

IMG_0567.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I’m pretty sure that this is the same article that @MrsFitz found that diagram in but the article itself is pretty interesting too. There are tests and some treatments for various issues that cause carb intolerance, carb malabsorption or carb maldigestion.

https://drruscio.com/carbohydrate-intolerance/#:~:text=If you continue to have gastrointestinal symptoms,products because they contain the sugar (

Edited by ShoppGirl

Posted (edited)

A friend of mine gets really sick after she eats if she forgets to take her digestive enzymes too. She never got any diagnosis I don’t think she just buys the enzymes online which I personally wouldn’t do but I’m in ALOT of other meds and don’t want them to interfere with other stuff. She also never said it’s about carbs specifically but she is like most of us pre surgery and usually eats pretty carb heavy meals. Those pills make ALL the difference for her. We shop and stop for lunch and if she forgets to take them she gets so sick but if she takes them she is pretty much fine. A little tired for a while but she pushes through to keep shopping 🤣 This is after her typical bacon cheeseburger and fries plus like fried pickle appetizer we sometimes would split so pretty carb heavy. Dr google says there are three enzymes that help with digestion of carbs that you can get In the Vitamin or pill whatever you want to call it but it also says to definitely consult a Dr before taking them if you have a history of ulcers, liver or gallbladder issues.

i keep adding to this as I find more stuff. Apparently they enzymes work hand in hand with probiotics to keep things working too so ask about them. And ask a brand for the probiotics because I have heard that some of them are worthless and a total waste of money because of the way they are processed. It seems like it had something to do with the temperature but I don’t remember for sure.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Posted (edited)

There are also foods that contain the enzymes but keep in mind if they are like the Vitamin they only stay in your gut like 30-45 minutes so you may need to eat them at your same meal as your carbs. “Foods that contain natural digestive enzymes include pineapples, papayas, mangoes, honey, bananas, avocados, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kiwifruit and ginger.”

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/natural-digestive-enzymes

Edited by ShoppGirl

11 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

I’ve had a play on the internet and found some info regarding different issues with carbs. I don’t know if this would be any use for you to take to your Doctor to have checked out?

IMG_0567.jpeg

This is actually a huge help. And the last one, Carbohydrate Maldigestion, sounds like me. After my last surgery, I developed severe lactose intolerance literally out of nowhere. Never in my entire life have I ever had a single issue with it, and all of a sudden I can't go near dairy. And not long after that, I started having real issues with carbs. Very, very interesting......THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! At least I have a starting place now.

On 8/29/2024 at 12:23 PM, MrsFitz said:

It’s like they are only seeing numbers and scales and recommended weights for heights blah, blah, blah but not the actual person at the bottom of it all. I’m not surprised that you’re pissed, to be fair, I would be too.

Carbs - is it all carbs that give you grief regardless of where they come from or specific types like bread, flour, potatoes etc? If it’s all types then it’s a very slow process of getting some in to your body and finding the balance. If it’s certain types then it’s looking at what you can manage and again, slowly building up until you find your balance and a weight that’s working for YOU, not the medical staff. Did you find some good quality fats that you were happy with? Have you skipped the low fat/calorie foods and introduced some higher fat/calorie replacements?

You have come so far and done so amazingly well. At the end of it all, it’s YOUR body, YOUR health and YOUR wellbeing, no one else’s. Have you thought about some of the liquid meal-replacement type options that you would give someone if they were ill? Just something that might give you a bit of a boost on top of your Iron infusion?

Big hugs 🤗

Yes! I've been having the same discussion with my doctor. I "haven't met my weight loss goal" for the last two weeks because I'm still at 116kg. But, my body composition shows it's because going to the gym has been working and I'm gaining muscle. They just want smaller numbers on the scale and smaller numbers on the BMI.

@SleeveToBypass2023 I'm really sorry you've had all this stress. Just sending sympathies.

33 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

Yes! I've been having the same discussion with my doctor. I "haven't met my weight loss goal" for the last two weeks because I'm still at 116kg. But, my body composition shows it's because going to the gym has been working and I'm gaining muscle. They just want smaller numbers on the scale and smaller numbers on the BMI.

@SleeveToBypass2023 I'm really sorry you've had all this stress. Just sending sympathies.

I’m pretty sure that it’s the ones that are more concerned with their patients statistics. Just as the surgeon looks good with low complication rates, it makes their program look good for their patients to lose a higher percentage of excess weight.