Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with diet after post surgery weight gain!!!!!

Hi Friends. I’m here asking for help with a sample daily diet. I had GB In October of 2019. Highest weight 305. I got to 217 within a year and have slowly gained I’m sitting at 241 right now. I still have some restrictions but I think I’m just all over the place. I need a re-boot diet. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? I tried going back to my post surgery diet but having a hard time. I feel like I’m blowing in the wind, some days I’m vegan, some days I’m low carb. Ughhhhh

Side Note: I still feel good and my labs are perfect now.

Can you please add specifics of what you eat/drink/exercise?

Drinks: no carbonation, caffeine, or sugar.

Food: no fried food, potatoes, corn, etc. What vegetables and fruit do you eat and in what portions?

What exercise are you doing and how much?

Go back to the basics! Prioritize Protein, cut out sugar, stick to 140g total carbs, 40g fat. Meal Prep and go for daily walks Its doable!! You got this!

This is my diet at 7months post op with an 1hr + of exercise 6x a week (exercise is 30min weight lifting and 30-45min cardio)

Wake up: Café latte Premier Protein and Decaf cold brew

Breakfast: egg whites, Jennie o turkey sausage, cheese and Pico de Gallo

Snack: fruit and mini Jerky stick or popcorn (lesserevil brand only 50cal low carb and has some protein)

Lunch: usually a salad with Pasta, veggies, some crunch (wonton strips, crispy onions, croutons) dressing is homemade (Greek yogurt, hidden valley ranch dry mix, fat free Italian dressing to thin it out)

snack: Oikos or Dannon Light and Fit yogurt with granola

Dinner: I get fancy- last night I had an Egglife wrap put 2TSP of pest on it, 3oz grilled chicken, 10g of reduced fat mozzarella cheese, 1 tlbs of picked jalapeno, 1 tbls of red onion and 10g of shredded Parmesan cheese

Dessert: a couple of yasso popples, or Ill have a few bites of my hubbys ben and jerrys (lol)

This is my normal day to day with variations but I usually end up with about 130+ of Protein, under 90g carbs and under 50g of fat. I am not perfect at all but meal prepping really really helps my week be successful. I also track every single thing (bad or good) in Netdiary and I pre-track my day the night before or the morning of, this allows me to see what I have going on and if I decide to eat a piece of Sugar Free Chocolate or make myself an iced coffee with sugar free Creamer, I can see if my macros fit it. Lately I have been going over but I am still losing weight. I have surpassed my goal weight and am still losing- lot slower- so I am trying to figure out how to eat a bit more so I can maintain.

I love this journey and am having so much fun with it (crazy I know) but I am an open book and am happy to help with meal plans, meal prep and exercises!

Nutrition is key at this point, and what you eat is even more important than how much you eat since you're at a point where it's normal to be able to eat closer to a "normal" portion size.

The book that really made an impact on me is A Pound of Cure from Dr. Matthew Weiner. I have recommended it to everyone I know, whether they are considering WLS or just want to eat healthier and lose a few pounds. You can get it through Amazon, and there's a whole series of videos on YouTube that take you through all of the recommendations. Personally, I've watched all of his videos and the podcast, but in your situation, I would suggest you start here :

And then watch this one:

After that, just keep watching the videos and commit to making one major change per month for a slow and healthy approach.

Find a tracker that you can work with and be honest with it. Try and make your own food from scratch. Eat Protein and vegetables/salads, try and leave the carbs alone.

You still have your restriction, so use it, good luck

I had sleeve 3.5 years ago and I gained all my weight back because I was too embarrassed to ask for help before it was too late. You already taken a big step in reaching out here for help. I would also reccomend that you make an appointment with your team for further support. I thought for sure mine was going to chastise me for messing up but that couldn’t have been further from what happened when i finally did. All they wanted to do is help. I ended up doing a revision but my preop diet was pretty doable and detoxed me from sugar and carbs. Mine was two shakes a day and then low carb dinner of 3oz lean Protein with a cup to a cup And a half of lower carb veggies. Something like that may be a Reset of sorts but you shouldn’t do it without consulting a doctor. Anyways, doing that I noticed that each day it got easier and easier as my body stopped cravings the sugar and carbs so I didn’t feel like I was starving myself anymore. For me, that’s the biggest obstacle. If I’m not starving I can make the better choices. You may also reach out to your dietician. Be honest about what you are eating as ask for help to make small changes to get you back on track. Keep posting and let us know your progress of struggles.