Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you take your oats?

I have never really been an oatmeal fan. Did try overnight oats once witb Peanut Butter and some other stuff and I liked it but i learned that that added up to a lot of carbs so I didn’t stick with it. Anyways it’s an option on this puree diet and I do have the rolled oats left in the pantry so I thought I’d maybe give it a go again. During purée stage or not, how do you take your oats? Hot or cold? And with what add ins?

I made a batch of overnight oats last night and it was pretty good. I did 1.5 cups rolled oats, 1.5 cups Fairlife skim milk, 3 scoops of Syntrax unflavored Protein (30g), 3 Tbsp chia seeds, 1 Tbsp raw honey, 1 Tbsp apple pie spice, 2 navel oranges cut into small pieces, and a pinch of salt. This makes 6 servings.

9 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I made a batch of overnight oats last night and it was pretty good. I did 1.5 cups rolled oats, 1.5 cups Fairlife skim milk, 3 scoops of Syntrax unflavored Protein (30g), 3 Tbsp chia seeds, 1 Tbsp raw honey, 1 Tbsp apple pie spice, 2 navel oranges cut into small pieces, and a pinch of salt. This makes 6 servings.

Ooh I didn’t even think about adding Protein. I have some of the GENEPRO unflavored one I could add. Once you mix in the milk and wait one night is it still good for a few days after or does it get too mushy over time? Even a single serve recipe would last me a few days right now.

50 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

is it still good for a few days after or does it get too mushy over time?

It lasts at least a few days, but at this point, you should probably make a small batch, like a half recipe. I can easily eat a serving now but it's very filling.

I was allowed instant oats from purée (traditional oats, so more coarse than the instant, were allowed a couple of months later). I made them with more milk than they advise (extra protein) & ate them hot. Of course it took two or three days to eat a recommended serve of the oats in the beginning and I’d just reheat them & add a little more milk the next days. After a month or so on traditional oats I’d add blueberries. Besides vegetables & fruit, the oats were the other carb I ate but only three or four times a week.

Now I add two big spoons of yoghurt, a spoon of mixed seeds, a scoop of collagen (vital Proteins dissolves really well), cranberries & blueberries. Still made with lots of milk and still eaten hot. Only use about 1/2 - 2/3 of the recommended serve of the raw oats. I always have leftovers but I eat them for an afternoon snack.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I was allowed instant oats from purée (traditional oats, so more coarse than the instant, were allowed a couple of months later). I made them with more milk than they advise (extra protein) & ate them hot. Of course it took two or three days to eat a recommended serve of the oats in the beginning and I’d just reheat them & add a little more milk the next days. After a month or so on traditional oats I’d add blueberries. Besides vegetables & fruit, the oats were the other carb I ate but only three or four times a week.

Now I add two big spoons of yoghurt, a spoon of mixed seeds, a scoop of collagen (vital Proteins dissolves really well), cranberries & blueberries. Still made with lots of milk and still eaten hot. Only use about 1/2 - 2/3 of the recommended serve of the raw oats. I always have leftovers but I eat them for an afternoon snack.

Oh I’m glad you said something. I Just read oatmeal. Didn’t specify what type of oats but I knew that the rolled oats are better for me. I better start with instant for now then.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I don’t know how I got through puree stage without them honestly. They were one of the very few things I actually could tolerate to eat.

I do approx 1/4 cup oats, layer it with 0% fat Greek yoghurt and then put about 10g frozen berries on top. Overnight the berries defrost and it means a bit of juice for the mix as well.

My go-to overnight oats:

1 cup oats

1.5 cups unsweeted almond milk

4 scoops premier chocolate Protein

2 tbl sp PB2

a splash of vanilla.

Makes 4 servings, a ton of protein. Oats are a complex carb so burn slow and balances the protein. It tastes just like a no bake cookie 😍

DELISH!

1/2C of oats

8oz of unsweetened vanilla Almond milk or FF fairlife

1 scoop of chocolate Protein Powder

1/2Tbls of Chia sees

1tsp of cinnamon

2tbls of sugar free vanilla bean Syrup

2 hours ago, AmberFL said:

DELISH!

1/2C of oats

8oz of unsweetened vanilla Almond milk or FF fairlife

1 scoop of chocolate Protein Powder

1/2Tbls of Chia sees

1tsp of cinnamon

2tbls of sugar free vanilla bean Syrup

Oh the sugar free syrups. That a good idea. I have some Toranis Syrup in the pantry I think. So this is like the third time I heard mention of these chia seeds recently. I assume they are pretty nutritious? What do they taste like? Can you taste them when they are mixed in??

5 hours ago, ynotiniowa said:

My go-to overnight oats:

1 cup oats

1.5 cups unsweeted almond milk

4 scoops premier chocolate Protein

2 tbl sp PB2

a splash of vanilla.

Makes 4 servings, a ton of Protein. Oats are a complex carb so burn slow and balances the protein. It tastes just like a no bake cookie 😍

Well you sold me at tastes like a cookie. lol.

37 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Oh the sugar free syrups. That a good idea. I have some Toranis Syrup in the pantry I think. So this is like the third time I heard mention of these chia seeds recently. I assume they are pretty nutritious? What do they taste like? Can you taste them when they are mixed in??

you cannot taste them imo, they are more of a texture thing and thickens up the overnight oats. They are very notorious tho!

Has anyone tried MUSH overnight oats that are already made?

I'm with a lot of folks here - overnight oats are a go since it's so easy to prep ahead and have them on hand at the ready.

Usually for a single serve I mix

1/4 cup oats (you can likely also put them in a food processor or blender to make it slightly smaller but not process enough to make oat flour)

1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt

1/4-1/2 cup milk of your choice or even a premade vanilla Protein Shake.

1 tsp chia seeds (agree it doesn't have a taste, just a texture and adds Fiber and a lil more protein)

2 tbsp of pbfit

splash of vanilla

sprinkle of cinnamon

you can also add a sweetener of your choice depending on how sweet you like it after the other ingredients are mixed.

and depending on my mood - i'll add in a little bit of banana and or sugar free mini choc chips. It's very customizable after the base.