Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much sugar makes you dump.

I am 13 days post SADI and I made some veggies with a terriaki sauce and thought I would purée them and try a bit. I started with just a couple of bites because I’ve never had any of the veggies or the sauce and my face needs a little hot. Is that a sign of dumping? It only has 6g sugar in the whole serving and I had like 3 tiny post op bites.

Hmm...I am probably not the best person to ask as I am about 3 months in and the 1 episode I seem to have had with dumping is recently where my heart was racing and I fell asleep after eating some peanuts 😂

I would say though that I think teriyaki sauce is quite high in sugar, and maybe it just needed to be diluted down a little bit?

The advice my bariatric nurse gave me to "avoid" dumping as much as possible was to make sure that when eating anything, look at the "carbohydrates, of which sugars" per 100 ml/g and ensure that it is 7g and under.

It seems to have worked so far!

Posted (edited)

I suppose anything is possible, but dumping after that little amount (6 g in the whole serving, and of that, you only had three tiny bites of it) seems really unlikely. I'm not sure what was going on there. Maybe some new sensitivity to something in the combo - maybe even one of the vegetables? I know niacin (a B vitamin) can make some people flush (at least the supplements can - not sure if it's in food). I'll do some research on this - you've got my curiosity up.

I'm starting to research this - some food additives can cause some people to flush - there are almost certainly food additives in the teriyaki sauce (although again, you ate very little - but then again, if you're hypersensitive to some additive, then maybe?). (I'll keep looking)

This article lists several possibilities (when I click on it, it jumps to just one section of the article - but check out the whole thing - there's more in here specific to flushing after eating):

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/flushing#:~:text=Flushing associated with eating is,parotid gland injury or surgery.

Edited by catwoman7

Sugar has actually never made me dump at all. I am extremely, almost excessively sensitive to carbs. But I can eat as much sugar as I want and it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Go figure...

Sugar doesn't cause any dumping symptoms for me, now carbs are a different thing all together for me - I'm extremely sensitive ..I'm almost so bad I shouldn't walk past them! 😋

I dump on one bite of popcorn, or an apple slice, or a bite of cucumber. (I am bringing it up to the doctor. I honestly thought all people who dump flake out that easily, but after a while on here, I think I’m an anomaly.) You are fresh out of the gate with this surgery so…I don’t know. Just having a flushed face alone may be a slight blood sugar change. Did you follow up by not eating more of anything and seeing what happens? Experiment and see what the doctor says. If nothing happens after an hour or two, it might just be a little glucose wave. Normal.

3 hours ago, learn2cook said:

I dump on one bite of popcorn, or an apple slice, or a bite of cucumber. (I am bringing it up to the doctor. I honestly thought all people who dump flake out that easily, but after a while on here, I think I’m an anomaly.) You are fresh out of the gate with this surgery so…I don’t know. Just having a flushed face alone may be a slight blood sugar change. Did you follow up by not eating more of anything and seeing what happens? Experiment and see what the doctor says. If nothing happens after an hour or two, it might just be a little glucose wave. Normal.

I didn’t have anymore of that. I had different food about an hour later (purée egg salad) which had been fine a few times. I have since had oatmeal that has some added sugar in it though. By accident. It was them MUSH overnight oats, most of the flavors are low-ish sugar because they use fruit juice to sweeten them but a couple have added sugars to include the maple one which if course is the one I grabbed to eat without reading the back because I had already read the back on a different flavor and it had no added sugars. Anyways, I was fine with that and it puréed down quite a bit so 1/4 cup was almost half of the container. I think it may have just been a fluke. Unless it was because there wasn’t something necessary to offset it?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, learn2cook said:

I have symptoms of dumping (nausea) after one bite of several things! Have you ever been diagnosed with rosacea? I face flush with rosacea, something I was only recently diagnosed with (I didn't have it until recently).

I'd also check your niacin quantity..its known to cause face flushing...

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

30 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I have symptoms of dumping (nausea) after one bite of several things! Have you ever been diagnosed with rosacea? I face flush with rosacea, something I was only recently diagnosed with (I didn't have it until recently).

I'd also check your niacin quantity..its known to cause face flushing...

My face wasn’t red, just felt Hot. Seemed like what my husband describes when his BP is really elevated I didn’t think of it and take mine though. That’s good to know about rosacea though. Seems like as we get older it’s something new everyday. I assume Noacin will be included in my one month labs but I will ask to make certain

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

My face wasn’t red, just felt Hot. Seemed like what my husband describes when his BP is really elevated I didn’t think of it and take mine though. That’s good to know about rosacea though. Seems like as we get older it’s something new everyday. I assume Noacin will be included in my one month labs but I will ask to make certain

My face sometimes turns red when I feel a "flush" and other times I just feel it without the visual red it jus feels hot!. Niacin is in your bariatric Vitamins, some ppl are just more sensitive to it. I don't think its one of the lab tests though they look for. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

My face sometimes turns red when I feel a "flush" and other times I just feel it without the visual red it jus feels hot!. Niacin is in your bariatric Vitamins, some ppl are just more sensitive to it. I don't think its one of the lab tests though they look for. Good luck!

Ooh. I have been on the bariatric multi for a few years since I am a revision Although it is a different brand currently since I needed chewable for a while immediately post surgery plus we do have new allergies post surgery sometimes. I will definitely keep it in mind if it continues to happen. Thanks