Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weakness and physical symptoms during pre-op diet

Ooof. I am exhausted. I'm one week into the pre-op diet and anything and everything that I do makes me super tired and weak. Walk tot he bathroom - exhausted. Walk from car to office - weak and exhausted and out of breath.

I know it's the very low calorie diet (VLCD) that I'm on and my body getting used to the changes, but DANG this is crazy!

Has anyone else experienced this on their pre-op diet or am I having extra issues because I'm a binge eater?

Honestly, both. Your body is in a bit of shock because this is definitely not what it's use to. It's also mentally taxing on you because, as a binge eater, you're use to eat-eat-eat-feel guilty. Eat-eat-eat-feel guilty. And now that cycle is broken and your body and mind don't know what to do with it. Not to mention, your body has gotten use to functioning on a certain amount of calories and carbs everyday and it's not getting that now. It thinks it's starving to death, even though it's not. It'll take a bit to even out.

I totally agree with @SleeveToBypass. The first 5 or so days are tough and its a big test for obese people. Also factor in that you may be detoxing from sugar, caffeine etc etc.

Its worth it in the end. Stick with it

30 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

Also factor in that you may be detoxing from sugar, caffeine etc etc.

Oh! I hadn't considered that! Granted, my shakes are sweet (they leave that lingering sweet taste in my mouth that I hate), but yeah, maybe I'm in sugar and carb withdrawal. 😲

The good news is that once you’re past the carb withdrawal it gets a little easier. They won’t satisfy mental or emotional “head hunger” but them shakes actually do physically fill you up. Like others have said. Hang in there. It’s totally worth it. I just came from my family dr today for a follow up. I am 12 days out and I’ve already lost 26 pounds. I had a 16 day preop diet though so it’s really been almost a month. Try to find something to symbolize why you are doing this or something that reminds you to dig deep and keep motivated that you can keep on you. My friend gave me a Bracelet with something motivational on the inside and I wore it through the entire process. It reminded me to keep my eyes on the prize. It helped me a few times when my anxiety was getting the best of me.

Today is day 9 of my pre-op diet and while my hunger cravings have subsided (that happened on day 3-ish) the weakness seems to be getting worse somehow? I almost wonder if I should reach out to my bariatric team about it but I don't want it to cause any issues with the surgery date. 🤔

25 minutes ago, CrazyDog&CatLady said:

Today is day 9 of my pre-op diet and while my hunger cravings have subsided (that happened on day 3-ish) the weakness seems to be getting worse somehow? I almost wonder if I should reach out to my bariatric team about it but I don't want it to cause any issues with the surgery date. 🤔

It could be something similar to ‘keto flu’. You feel lethargic, fatigued, have a headache that just won’t quit whatever meds you try and just generally feel like rubbish. The good news is that it does pass, your energy levels will improve and your headache will go. Just make sure that you’re drinking enough Water as you will probably have lost a lot which does contribute to how you’re feeling.

1 hour ago, MrsFitz said:

It could be something similar to ‘keto flu’. You feel lethargic, fatigued, have a headache that just won’t quit whatever meds you try and just generally feel like rubbish. The good news is that it does pass, your energy levels will improve and your headache will go. Just make sure that you’re drinking enough Water as you will probably have lost a lot which does contribute to how you’re feeling.

Hmmm... 'keto flu' (I mutter as I Google the term) yup, that definitely seems to be what I'm dealing with. Thanks for that! Sometimes it just helps to know what it is, y'know? 😊

25 minutes ago, CrazyDog&CatLady said:

Hmmm... 'keto flu' (I mutter as I Google the term) yup, that definitely seems to be what I'm dealing with. Thanks for that! Sometimes it just helps to know what it is, y'know? 😊

Happy to help 😉 It can definitely be off-putting if you’ve never dealt with these things before and you don’t know where to look or even what you’re looking for. I can guarantee that if you have a question re weight loss and all it attendant quirks & foibles, there will be someone around on the forum who has either gone through it themselves or know the answer 🙂

Yes, 'CrazyDogandCatLady", I had the same feeling. Being a diabetic, I think it was more pronounced given I had to watch sugar levels. I had my surgery August 20. I experienced these feelings during pre-and-post Op period.

During this post-Op period, I'm currently in the full liquid phase. I'm looking to see if re-introducing Soups makes a difference.

If anyone is a diabetic, be sure to monitor your sugar levels during these phases.