Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never thought this would be a frustration of mine.....

I went from a 5x and 28/30 in clothes to a 14 and XL. Stayed there for a bit so I went and got scrubs and outfits in XL. And was doing great for about 2 months. NOW I'm in a 12 and L in clothes. I never, ever thought I would be down to this size again, but the frustration is that now I can't fit into any of my clothes and work scrubs.

I'm the main breadwinner in my family (my husband is on disability) and I just don't have money to buy more scrubs. I listed my old ones (3 sets of size 2x and 6 sets of XL) and they just aren't selling. They have solid bottoms and prints on the tops. I look rather comical in my scrubs now that they are a size too big. I guess I'm just venting because I'm irritated that my clothes don't fit, that I don't have the money to replace them with ones that do, and the ones I have aren't selling.

I've only gained 2 pounds since I've been working hard to try and put more weight back on to at least get to my goal weight (I keep dropping back down and fighting to gain those 2 pounds back). I have to do blood work to have my thyroid tested. Apparently every once in a while, having WLS can throw the thyroid off and make it hyper active. So I might need to take something to even it out for a while, with the hope that it will normalize itself eventually. My doctor said that might explain why I literally cannot put on weight, keep on anything I do put on, and I just keep losing no matter what I do. Grrrr..... Ok, rant over....

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I went from a 5x and 28/30 in clothes to a 14 and XL. Stayed there for a bit so I went and got scrubs and outfits in XL. And was doing great for about 2 months. NOW I'm in a 12 and L in clothes. I never, ever thought I would be down to this size again, but the frustration is that now I can't fit into any of my clothes and work scrubs.

I'm the main breadwinner in my family (my husband is on disability) and I just don't have money to buy more scrubs. I listed my old ones (3 sets of size 2x and 6 sets of XL) and they just aren't selling. They have solid bottoms and prints on the tops. I look rather comical in my scrubs now that they are a size too big. I guess I'm just venting because I'm irritated that my clothes don't fit, that I don't have the money to replace them with ones that do, and the ones I have aren't selling.

I've only gained 2 pounds since I've been working hard to try and put more weight back on to at least get to my goal weight (I keep dropping back down and fighting to gain those 2 pounds back). I have to do blood work to have my thyroid tested. Apparently every once in a while, having WLS can throw the thyroid off and make it hyper active. So I might need to take something to even it out for a while, with the hope that it will normalize itself eventually. My doctor said that might explain why I literally cannot put on weight, keep on anything I do put on, and I just keep losing no matter what I do. Grrrr..... Ok, rant over....

Have you tried thrift stores for the scrubs? I love shopping thrift stores looking for unique things and deals and I often see scrubs in the stores around me at least. Or even consignment stores. Mayne call around and ask if they happen to know if they have any before you make the trip.

Edited by ShoppGirl

6 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Have you tried thrift stores for the scrubs? I love shopping thrift stores looking for unique things and deals and I often see scrubs in the stores around me at least. Or even consignment stores. Mayne call around and ask if they happen to know if they have any before you make the trip.

I've been looking, but ironically, now that I need size large all I see are plus size. 🙄

3 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I've been looking, but ironically, now that I need size large all I see are plus size. 🙄

Figures. I’m assuming you checked things like Facebook marketplace too? Maybe even post something at large clinics or hospitals near you. Surely there is someone out there that was a large and needs extra large now.

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

Figures. I’m assuming you checked things like Facebook marketplace too? Maybe even post something at large clinics or hospitals near you. Surely there is someone out there that was a large and needs extra large now.

FB marketplace, Craigslist, thrift stores....ugh. I never thought about the clinics and hospitals....I'll have to look into that. I'm just annoyed. I hate wearing clothes and scrubs that don't fit. Not only does it look silly, it's uncomfortable. And having to keep hiking up my pants at work in front of patients is just ridiculous.

1 minute ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

FB marketplace, Craigslist, thrift stores....ugh. I never thought about the clinics and hospitals....I'll have to look into that. I'm just annoyed. I hate wearing clothes and scrubs that don't fit. Not only does it look silly, it's uncomfortable. And having to keep hiking up my pants at work in front of patients is just ridiculous.

I really bet if you get word to the right person within a big medical group someone will have some and be happy to sell them to you reasonable if not give them to you free. You could even ask your surgeons office if they know anyone that may be ahead of you in their loss that’s in the medical field. Then ask them to pass your number along with a little note saying what you are in need of. I know some surgical groups even host clothing swaps.

17 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I really bet if you get word to the right person within a big medical group someone will have some and be happy to sell them to you reasonable if not give them to you free. You could even ask your surgeons office if they know anyone that may be ahead of you in their loss that’s in the medical field. Then ask them to pass your number along with a little note saying what you are in need of. I know some surgical groups even host clothing swaps.

I'm definitely going to do that. I never thought of that. At least it gives me more options to try. Thanks!!

Do you have a sewing machine or a family member with one you could borrow? Scrubs are pretty simple in construction so I'm betting you could take them in a really easily, at least enough to not have your pants fall down. In a pinch, some safety pins at the side seams of the waistband will work, but stitching would be more comfortable.

But as for everything being plus size, this seems to be the way it works. I struggled for years trying to find 2X and 3X on the clearance racks at clothing stores. They would only have XL in all the stuff I liked. Now I need XL and all they have are 2X and 3X!

Can you get them altered? Wouldn’t be all that difficult - straight seams. If you’re not someone who sews though it will cost some money. Might be worth an inquiry to see how much.

The drop in clothing size is frustrating. I barely had a chance to wear any of the smaller clothes I’d kept from the past. Either missed the window (seasonally) or barely got them out to wear when they became too big. Sigh! I bought some new expensive clothes when I thought I had stabilised which became too big within a couple of months. When your smaller the weight loss to drop a size is much smaller than when your larger.

I'm definitely not someone who sews. My mom use to, but she lives in Florida (I'm in Colorado) and her arthritis has gotten bad and she hasn't sewn in years. I honestly wouldn't complain about something like this anywhere but here because absolutely NOBODY else can relate. I keep hearing "but you were so heavy before, I would think you'd be ecstatic now!!" and I alternate between wanting to look around on the floor to see if I can find their brains that must have fallen out of their head and wanting to smack the ever loving daylights out of them. The AUDACITY to say that...to my face!!!

I'm hoping I can either find someone who wants to trade scrubs or someone wants to buy mine. I'm so thankful and grateful that I'm healthy and have lost so much weight. I honestly am. I just want my body to settle on a set point and stay there lol I absolutely DO NOT want to go lower than a Large right now, because I was already told I'll likely go down a size after my skin surgeries.

If any of TPTB (The Powers That Be) are up there listening...PLEASE let me be good to go now lol I'm extra happy and grateful and thankful, and as my 3 year old granddaughter would say "I all dooooooone now" lol Please and thank you!!!! 🤣😁

18 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

You can tailor your clothes with just needle and thread! Youtube has fantastic videos on how to hand sew clothes.

4 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

You can tailor your clothes with just needle and thread! Youtube has fantastic videos on how to hand sew clothes.

I'm definitely not someone who sews lol. My mom use to, but she lives in Florida (I'm in Colorado) and her arthritis has gotten bad and she hasn't sewn in years.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I'm definitely not someone who sews lol. My mom use to, but she lives in Florida (I'm in Colorado) and her arthritis has gotten bad and she hasn't sewn in years.

I’ve been teaching my daughter how to hand and machine sew this year. She went from zero to altering a skirt in 3 days. You might surprise yourself with the new skills you can pick up when needed ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

that is super annoying! im sorry :(

14 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I’ve been teaching my daughter how to hand and machine sew this year. She went from zero to altering a skirt in 3 days. You might surprise yourself with the new skills you can pick up when needed ❤️

I agree it can be a handy skill to have. I don’t get out my machine anymore but do still do buttons, touch up hems & darn. (Have a little hole in my ‘around the house’ cardigan I’m darning tomorrow.) if I want pants or dresses shortened I go to professionals all the time now as it’s too hard to get the length right when you live alone plus I prefer to get a more professional finish than my less skilled finishing. Being short I frequently need things shortened - sigh!