Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post sleeve, 2 months later there are days when Water is impossible to have. Cold, hot, flavored otherwise makes me nauseous other days it’s fine
Is that normal? What to do?

Posted (edited)

Have you talked to your doctor. If nothing else maybe they can give you nausea meds you can take as needed. Also sometimes when we THINK it’s Water causing the nausea it’s actually dehydration that is to blame. I realize that doesn’t help get it down but if that’s the case you may need IV fluids? Although if it’s fine the next day that doesn’t make much sense either. I would definitely talk to your dr. Hopefully it’s something simple. No need to be miserable.

Edited by ShoppGirl

It’s intermittent

most days i can manage 42 oz comfortably but 64 is a stretch

my surgeon left the prog so waiting for sb else - Kaiser sucks with replacements

I just had my RYGB and Water has been my problem child. However, I have found that using ice chips instead (letting them melt in my mouth and the water trickling down my throat) helps a lot. I've even heard of people buying snow cone makers specifically for this reason.

I hope we both get better with the water!

I like Propel Water (watermelon, black cherry, and mango are my favorite flavors), Gatorade zero (the blue one, I forget what that one is), and Prime hydration (Ice Pop and strawberry Watermelon are THE BEST). All 3 have electrolytes and help with dehydration and make it easier to get fluids in when I struggle to hit my goal.

So the doc wants to try nausea meds

i am more concerned at why it’s happening in the first place since it was fine earlier

flavored water just doesn’t go down well - I find most drinks too tart

whats the min daily Water goal ? Mine insists on 64 oz

1 hour ago, Fars said:

I think that depends on your doctor, in that case. I have a daily goal of 64oz of Fluid, with half of that preferably being Water per my doc and nutritionist.

Mine also wants 64 oz fluids which eeems impossible

going to get iv fluids today - will also see how my BP is bc still on ntihypertensives and low BP could cause nausea too

4 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I like Propel Water (watermelon, black cherry, and mango are my favorite flavors), Gatorade zero (the blue one, I forget what that one is), and Prime hydration (Ice Pop and strawberry Watermelon are THE BEST). All 3 have electrolytes and help with dehydration and make it easier to get fluids in when I struggle to hit my goal.

To further this Protein 2.0 has a drink with electrolytes and 15g protein. They have it at Walmart and Amazon.

4 hours ago, Fars said:

So the doc wants to try nausea meds

i am more concerned at why it’s happening in the first place since it was fine earlier

flavored water just doesn’t go down well - I find most drinks too tart

My paperwork says 64oz goal. Minimum 48oz so there may be a minimum for you?. I would check with your team though your circumstances could be different. The last thing you want is to get dehydrated. It’s really not fun.

I agree with @catwoman7’s suggestion for some anti nausea meds. Hope a replacement surgeon is engaged soon. So frustrating.

I went through a phase when I found Water too heavy to drink.I relied more on green tea & flattened sparkling water & not solely plain water then. Is that how you would describe how you feel before the nausea starts? On the days you struggle with water are you able to drink other flavoured or unflavoured fluids? Were you are big drinker of sweet drinks before you had surgery like sodas? Could there be an underlying craving for sweet drinks again which is why flavoured unsweetened drinks seem tart to you now?? Our brains can work against us sometimes.

There are odd days when I don’t get all my fluids in. Life gets busy sometimes or the opportunities to drink more than a few sips at times during the day ate rare. I don’t mind too much when it’s just odd days because I know I’ll reach my goal (or drink even more) the next day & will be back on track again. (Same with Protein goals too.)