Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to stop the stool softeners

I believe it was day 4 that my dr started me on twice a day stool softener then on day 6 I had my first movement so I went to once a day. Currently it’s day 8 and I am still having a loose movement each morning. I’ve been sticking with the one a day worried about the pain straining if it firms up too much but I guess I gotta stop taking it eventually? Any advice as to when it’s time to stop?? Does it hurt to take it for a couple of weeks? Or mess up your system to where you actually need it or anything.

After every surgery, I took 2 per day for the first 5 days, then 1 a day until I hit 2 weeks post op, then 1 every other day for another week. Then only as needed (typically I take them if I haven't poo'd in 2 days. On day 3, I take em and make sure I can go). I will say I tend to use Miralax often, as it's less harsh than actual stool softeners. But that only works for me if I'm not "backed up" and needing the stronger laxative/stool softener combo to get things moving again. For me, Miralax more keeps them moving, not really much help if things stop.

6 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

After every surgery, I took 2 per day for the first 5 days, then 1 a day until I hit 2 weeks post op, then 1 every other day for another week. Then only as needed (typically I take them if I haven't poo'd in 2 days. On day 3, I take em and make sure I can go). I will say I tend to use Miralax often, as it's less harsh than actual stool softeners. But that only works for me if I'm not "backed up" and needing the stronger laxative/stool softener combo to get things moving again. For me, Miralax more keeps them moving, not really much help if things stop.

I never thought of the every other day thing. That’s a great idea. I worried about going Cold Turkey and not being regular. (I bet I sound so old with that statement).

for some of us, both sleeve and bypass, Constipation becomes a chronic "feature". It's been nine years for me so I can't remember when I stopped the (post-surgery) stool softeners, but shortly after I stopped I realized I was having frequent problems "going", so I've been taking a capful of Miralax every morning to stay on top of it. I don't back up very often, but when I do, like sleeve2bypass, I usually have to take something stronger. But from what I read and hear, many or us do take Miralax (or magnesium tablets) daily to try to prevent backups. (btw - the chronic constipation many of us deal with is probably due to the diet (high protein/low carb) and a couple of the supplements we take (calcium and Iron are both known to cause constipation in some people).

7 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I never thought of the every other day thing. That’s a great idea. I worried about going Cold Turkey and not being regular. (I bet I sound so old with that statement).

Definitely look into Miralax daily, or at least a few times per week. It's gentle and keeps you regular. The laxative/stool softener is really for getting things moving (later on, once you're further out)

I’m 5 years out. I take a docusate at bedtime twice a week. Just enough to keep things regular with my high Protein diet.

I was sent home with a stronger med for Constipation. I didn’t take it. Can’t recall when I started on the coloxyl. I think it was pretty much after that but I only took it (1 tablet) if I hadn’t been for three days. Five years out & I only take it if I need it which may be once one week then no need for a couple of weeks. It is good to keep on top of the constipation but you don’t want to become too reliant on it. Gotta keep your systems working as much on their own as possible.

I’m presuming you need to keep things pretty soft after bypass or SADI more so than sleeve simply as you don’t want to strain your intestines at least until you are more healed.

35 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I was sent home with a stronger med for Constipation. I didn’t take it. Can’t recall when I started on the coloxyl. I think it was pretty much after that but I only took it (1 tablet) if I hadn’t been for three days. Five years out & I only take it if I need it which may be once one week then no need for a couple of weeks. It is good to keep on top of the Constipation but you don’t want to become too reliant on it. Gotta keep your systems working as much on their own as possible.

I’m presuming you need to keep things pretty soft after bypass or SADI more so than sleeve simply as you don’t want to strain your intestines at least until you are more healed.

I actually didn’t really even think about that part of it but that’s a very good point. I was actually thinking more about straining myself because my incisions are still quite painful. They are lower than the sleeve ones and there are more of them. I had nine in total this time including the drain hole. That may be because this surgery was robotic this time? Or because if the gallbladder addition?

I never stopped taking stool softeners twice a day since surgery and I'm over a year out. I was concerned to continue as I didn't want my body to become reliant on them but I was told softeners were not like a laxative and only brings more Water into the intestines to keep things moving regularly and avoid Constipation. With a laxative your body becomes dependent on them. Big difference. The last thing I want is to get constipated and have a weight stall because of it. I haven't had one day of constipation so there is no need to stop taking them. It will not harm you to do so.

Posted (edited)

i wasn't prescribed any stool softeners after surgery...but i probably should have, as it was 11 days post surgery when I had my first poop (omg, it was a doozy).

i had to keep on top of my "regularity" for about 2-3 years after WLS with a curated regime of Benefibre, Miralax, MOM and glycerine suppositories, depending on my need, as Constipation was a annoying problem for me those years.

I'm nearing year 6 now (end of Oct) and haven't needed any extra help for about 3 or so years. I am "regular" now in the sense that i go about every 3-4 days with no discomfort in between (which is a huge departure to my schedule pre-op when i would go multiple times a day!).

I think you need to monitor your own schedule/needs/comfort and act accordingly as we all have different pooping paths, ha!

Edited to add: coincidentally, my constipation issues sort of stopped a few months after i stopped taking my supplements/vitamins...not sure if this is related, or indeed just a coincidence. i also started eating more carbs around that time so i dunno....?

Edited by ms.sss

I never got stool softeners, but I take 2 magnesium horse pills every night and I have been lucky to have a BM every day.

Well after two daily stools that were very loose I cut back to one and then the next day was loose too so I thought I would go to every other day but that was a bad call apparently. Now it had been two days and nothing. I just went and a couple little pebbles came out so it’s definitely Constipation. Gross as this is I used a glove and got more out but there is still more in there. I just took milk of magnesia but I’m a little worried about how painful this is going to be since I am only 11 days post op and my incisions still hurt quite a bit.

Okay that milk of magnesia works miracles. I thought it was still going to be a strain but it wasn’t bad at all and it worked so fast. Like two hours or three maybe and I started with the lower dose. I am so relieved because my anxiety had me half believing that I had an obstruction. Thank goodness that is over for now. My NP said if I want to cut back from 2 stool Softeners a day I should do 2 then 1 Back and forth for little while before I go to Just one. But she expects based on what I have explained I probably need two until I am able to eat some Fiber and more fluids.