Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to get back on track

Hello everyone. I am a 63 year old grandmother from Indiana. I had RNY about 9 years ago and I've gotten way off track. Although I've lost 100 pounds I really need to lose way more. I lead a very inactive life due to arthritis in my lower back. I get short of breath very easy. My inability to follow the plan is my fault entirely because I just let things happen. I really had no support from the center that did my surgery which is surprising since they are a "Bariatric Center of Excellence". The dieticians don't follow up, my surgeon retired. I now suffer from low blood sugars to the point where I should really be calling EMS......I am talking in the 50's...once it got to 46. Needless to say I couldn't function and my husband had to take charge. Prior to surgery I had high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and some other stuff. My blood pressure and sleep apnea have gone away and my blood sugar has went the other direction where it runs too low sometimes. I go through days of it being way too low and then weeks of it being fantastic then we repeat the cycle. I need to get back on a routine and an eating plan that works for me. How does one get back on track at this point?

Have you considered getting started for your follow ups with another practice? It sounds like you could benefit from someone with some medical expertise to help get gpu into a routine that with work for you. Others who have experienced this may have some suggestions but Most offices have a NP that can probably help quite a bit with the blood sugar while maintaining your weight as well.

I have not found a practice that will accept me since they didn't do my original surgery. I tried to go through my local Bariatric Center...I was even referred there by their surgeon who removed my gallbladder but they only saw me once and said that was all they were willing to do since I didn't have them do my original procedure. My PCP monitors my labs for me.

6 minutes ago, Juanita7281 said:

I have not found a practice that will accept me since they didn't do my original surgery. I tried to go through my local Bariatric Center...I was even referred there by their surgeon who removed my gallbladder but they only saw me once and said that was all they were willing to do since I didn't have them do my original procedure. My PCP monitors my labs for me.

That’s absurd. They are getting paid the same what difference does it make. Did your surgeon pass his patients along to anyone when he retired. I know I’ve had a couple of providers who did that and I got a letter in the mail about it. If you didn’t get one maybe your PCP could do some asking around And help you out. Although I suppose your PCP should honestly be able to help you anyways if you aren’t having any physical issues related to the surgery. You really just need nutritional advice related to your blood sugar issues from someone. A good dietician may even be able to help. I see people post on here that have very knowledgable nutritionist and dietitians but around me I haven’t had the best of luck with them. I really hope you find someone to help you out. It seems crazy to me that that surgical office would turn you away.

Finding a reliable dietician who is knows a thing or two about bariatric surgery is hard to do in my area. I went to Carmel, Indiana for my surgery.

I am going to recommend something I personally subscribe to, which is the online support groups through the Pound of Cure Weight Loss's nutrition program. It's $49 per month and you get unlimited online groups and classes, including groups run by Dr. Weiner, the bariatric surgeon, and Zoe, the registered dietician. They are both so nice and really helpful in answering questions and offering thoughtful advice. While he's not in your area (the practice is in Arizona), I know he's one of the few doctors out there who is happy to take patients who had surgeries elsewhere. If you're not already familiar with Dr. Weiner's book Pound of Cure, I can't suggest it enough. I bought it from Amazon last summer and it helped me start turning around my nutrition while I was waiting for surgery. Their podcast and video series on YouTube are also invaluable.

3 minutes ago, Juanita7281 said:

Finding a reliable dietician who is knows a thing or two about bariatric surgery is hard to do in my area. I went to Carmel, Indiana for my surgery.

Well hang in there. There are tons of people on here that are eager to help. You just need the right person to come along who has had similar experience.

2 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I am going to recommend something I personally subscribe to, which is the online support groups through the Pound of Cure Weight Loss's nutrition program. It's $49 per month and you get unlimited online groups and classes, including groups run by Dr. Weiner, the bariatric surgeon, and Zoe, the registered dietician. They are both so nice and really helpful in answering questions and offering thoughtful advice. While he's not in your area (the practice is in Arizona), I know he's one of the few doctors out there who is happy to take patients who had surgeries elsewhere. If you're not already familiar with Dr. Weiner's book Pound of Cure, I can't suggest it enough. I bought it from Amazon last summer and it helped me start turning around my nutrition while I was waiting for surgery. Their podcast and video series on YouTube are also invaluable.

Such a great suggestion. I love his podcasts and his book as well. That really could be a good fit.

Today's podcast episode was really good in addressing weight loss plateaus and making reasonable dietary changes:

9 hours ago, Juanita7281 said:

I am watching his YT videos right now. I have learned a few things in the ten minutes I've been watching. LOL

I started watching the videos last summer when I first started the path toward surgery. I learned so much, and by now I've watched all the videos at least once. There's one on keeping the weight off for good that I go back to over and over to remind myself of the changes I need to make. I've watched all the podcasts, too. There's so much information and I feel like it's coming from a very trustworthy source.

Last August, I read Pound of Cure. I did not start with the two-week metabolic reset diet, but I decided I would eat 16oz of non-starchy vegetables daily, cut back significantly on bread/crackers and cheese, switched my regular wheat Pasta to chickpea pasta, and stopped drinking diet soda (my only regular source of artificial sweetener). I didn't count calories, cut back on portions, skip sweets, or do anything else that would have felt like a diet. I just made those relatively easy changes that I thought would address some of my biggest issues, and over about 6 months, I lost 13 lbs. There was never a time before when I lost so much weight by doing so little, so I'm definitely a believer that these changes work.

If you're up for the challenge, the 2-week metabolic reset might be a great way to kick-start getting back on track. He explains it in his book, but there's a free PDF you can get from their website with all the pertinent info (scroll way down on the page to find the link): https://www.poundofcureweightloss.com/nutrition/.

10 hours ago, NickelChip said:

I didn’t know Dr. Weiner had a program like this! I’ve watched a lot of his YouTube videos and he is great. He seems like a genuinely caring doctor. I have to admit that I cherry pick his advice, but the concept of eating a pound of vegetables every day has greatly influenced my nutritional habits for the better.

14 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Such a great suggestion. I love his podcasts and his book as well. That really could be a good fit.

Not to sidetrack the post, but what surgery did you end up with? Your stats say duodenal switch, but I don't think that's right, is it? I forget what you said you were getting, and then it might be something else when they get in there if they couldn't do it. UGH...I hate having a crappy short term memory!!!

20 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Not to sidetrack the post, but what surgery did you end up with? Your stats say duodenal switch, but I don't think that's right, is it? I forget what you said you were getting, and then it might be something else when they get in there if they couldn't do it. UGH...I hate having a crappy short term memory!!!

It was between the SADI and Bypass. I wanted the SADI but if not the Bypass. They did the SADI but that’s not an option when you fill in the stats so I just selected DS since that’s the closest.

5 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

It was between the SADI and Bypass. I wanted the SADI but if not the Bypass. They did the SADI but that’s not an option when you fill in the stats so I just selected DS since that’s the closest.

Ah ok lol I was like "I'm pretty sure it's not the DS...but I absolutely could be wrong" lol