Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had an odd experience

So, this is probably way more common than I think, it is just the first time I have experienced it 🤣

Yesterday I was able to eat more than I normally do - probably around 700-800 calories, which is really good for me as I wasn't getting much more than 300-400 in the past few weeks.

Today my restriction feels very high. I ate a few mouthfuls of peanuts and some light babybel as a snack, didn't sit well at all despite these things never giving me problems.

I gave it a little bit of a break, around 1 hr, then had some of my sandwich I'd made (wholemeal bread, ham, cheese, salad etc), and could only manage a few bites. Then my heart was absolutely racing. I'm talking about 115 bpm just sitting down, and then I just had to sleep. At work.

I feel better now since waking up, but I am scared to eat again right now 🤣

Wtf was this 🤣

4 hours ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

So, this is probably way more common than I think, it is just the first time I have experienced it 🤣

Yesterday I was able to eat more than I normally do - probably around 700-800 calories, which is really good for me as I wasn't getting much more than 300-400 in the past few weeks.

Today my restriction feels very high. I ate a few mouthfuls of peanuts and some light babybel as a snack, didn't sit well at all despite these things never giving me problems.

I gave it a little bit of a break, around 1 hr, then had some of my sandwich I'd made (wholemeal bread, ham, cheese, salad etc), and could only manage a few bites. Then my heart was absolutely racing. I'm talking about 115 bpm just sitting down, and then I just had to sleep. At work.

I feel better now since waking up, but I am scared to eat again right now 🤣

Wtf was this 🤣

I’ve never dumped but some people do dump on too much fat? Another thing could be a peanut allergy. We can develop allergies anytime? I’m sure others will have more ideas from personal experience but those are the two things that come to my mind. Sounds a little scary. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted (edited)

I had the exact same happen to me and like you and I posted on here asking pretty much the same thing.

I actually went to my doctor and she having had a bypass 5+ years prior wasn't sure what it was. I was given a heart monitor to wear for 7 days and then an appointment with a cardiologist all to be told I'm in great heart shape - "no worries".

It was just dumping syndrome apparently. I hadn't heard or read it could present by just a racing heart. I had researched and read probably like you that dumping syndrome presented as the following:

1. Nausea

2. Sweats

3. Cramps

4. Possible diarrhea

5. Possible throwing up etc. Etc...A combo of symptoms

So add to that, A possible racing heart only! I even thought at the time it could just be my new stomach being located closer to my heart so I was feeling it more!? Nope dumping syndrome! I hope this saves you some worry and doctor time!

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

13 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I’ve never dumped but some people do dump on too much fat? Another thing could be a peanut allergy. We can develop allergies anytime? I’m sure others will have more ideas from personal experience but those are the two things that come to my mind. Sounds a little scary. Hope you feel better soon.

I did think this! Definitely something to keep an eye on. Thank you x

12 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I hd the exact same happen to me and like you and I posted on here asking pretty much the same thing.

I actually went to my doctor and she having had a bypass 5+ years prior wasn't sure what it was. I was given a heart monitor to wear for 7 days and then an appointment with a cardiologist all to be told I'm in great heart shape - "no worries".

It was just dumping syndrome apparently. I hadn't heard or read it could present by just a racing heart. I had researched and read probably like you that dumping syndrome presented as the following:

1. Nausea

2. Sweats

3. Cramps

4. Possible diarrhea

5. Possible throwing up etc. Etc...A combo of symptoms

So add to that, A possible racing heart only! I even thought at the time it could just be my new stomach being located closer to my heart so I was feeling it more!? Nope dumping syndrome! I hope this saves you some worry and doctor time!

Oh wow okay! I did think it could maybe be a weird type of dumping and I am glad to see I wasn't the only one who has experienced this!

So strange how it presents in people!

I was coming on here to say it sounds like either dumping or a new allergy, or maybe both. I've had both happen and it's not fun.

19 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I was coming on here to say it sounds like either dumping or a new allergy, or maybe both. I've had both happen and it's not fun.

I tried the same nuts the next day and was completely fine! Must have been a weird episode of dumping!

On 8/15/2024 at 8:53 AM, Bypass2Freedom said:

Used to happen to me earlier on in what I’m guess was reactive or post prandial hypoglycemia. Now it only happens if it’s a sugar/carb item not properly paired with Protein and fats, so essentially an unbalanced meal. It was like an extreme food coma. It can get better with time or figuring out the offending food.

So I have an appt with my cardiologist because of this very problem next week and when I talked to my gastric surgeon he said, that isn't a cardiologist problem, that is a dumping problem. I was like oh. But that was the only symptom I got besides dizziness when I stood up while it was happening. It doesn't happen all the time and there is no rhyme or reason because I have eaten the same thing for lunch all week and it only happened once. It has happened after Breakfast and after dinner but again no rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Maybe it is the amount I ate. No clue. But I am going to check with the cardiologist anyway.

10 minutes ago, leese13 said:

So I have an appt with my cardiologist because of this very problem next week and when I talked to my gastric surgeon he said, that isn't a cardiologist problem, that is a dumping problem. I was like oh. But that was the only symptom I got besides dizziness when I stood up while it was happening. It doesn't happen all the time and there is no rhyme or reason because I have eaten the same thing for lunch all week and it only happened once. It has happened after Breakfast and after dinner but again no rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Maybe it is the amount I ate. No clue. But I am going to check with the cardiologist anyway.

What you described; occasionally light headed when standing up...racing heart, all with different foods and quantities was what I was and still am going through - exactly as you described. As I posted before my cardiologist said its dumping, the Bariatric surgeon said dumping combined with low blood pressure and/or dehydrated for the dizzy aspect symptoms. I do notice and am more aware of the coalition of less Water consumption = dizzy upon standing or just in general now.

He did say to try to slow down eating as it might help. The issue I have is I don't have 30 mins to casually sit and eat my food all the time - to eat "aware" or "mind fully." Sometimes I'm lucky to just get my Protein down!

I will say that once I had both doctors associate it to dumping I paid more attention to it and when it is happening, after I eat I can associate it directly to eating now. So I'm going to say they were right - its dumping.

Good luck with the cardiologist.

Posted (edited)

I posted this in the DS forum because I got the SADI but my new plumbing is somewhere between a bypass and a DS I guess. I had sleeve before so I never dumped. I am 13 days post op from SADI and I had some veggies in freezer with terriaki sauce. The sugar was 6g per serving and no fat so I thought a small amount would be okay but I took like 3 tiny post op bites and waited. My face started to get warm. Is that even a sign of dumping? Could I dump on that little bit of sugar? I’m fine now and nothing else happened but I didn’t eat anymore.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Yeah, the warm face flush is another sign I’m dumping. I can get it from one bite of something. I had 5 almonds for a snack yesterday and it set me off. I’m going to ask my WLS doctor more about it. It’s just more reason to eat Protein first and stick to proper meals.

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

Yeah, the warm face flush is another sign I’m dumping. I can get it from one bite of something. I had 5 almonds for a snack yesterday and it set me off. I’m going to ask my WLS doctor more about it. It’s just more reason to eat Protein first and stick to proper meals.

Yea. I was Just trying to get In some fiber by eating veggies puréed with Protein powder mixed in because I am early out and am having issues with Constipation. I need fiber. I talked to the NP today and she told me to get benefiber but I am also allowed puréed oats and I double checked that I can have the rolled ones so long as I purée them. I was super excited because I really like the MUSH overnight oats although I just realized that they do have added sugar so we shall see how they go.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I found a Keto terriaki sauce on Walmart to ship that has 7g carbs but no added sugar and 1g fat per serving. Haven’t tried it yet but it’s called hungry squirrel if anyone is interested. I’m really hoping it is good.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I found a Keto terriaki sauce on Walmart to ship that has 7g carbs but no added sugar and 1g fat per serving. Haven’t tried it yet but it’s called hungry squirrel if anyone is interested. I’m really hoping it is good.

Try G. Huges...2 or none I can't remember carbs, no added sugars ..5 calories. I use it for marinating.. Or just to add flavor. I haven't had a sauce from this brand I don't like. My favorites are the teriyaki and the chili Thai dipping sauce! You can find them at Walmart...but you have to be quick they sell out fast! I add them to everything for flavor.

They make:

Teriyaki

Bbq sauces

Shrimp sauce

ketchup

Thai Dipping sauce

Yum yum sauce (chick filet sauce)

and a lot more!

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA