Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Changes 3 months post RNY Surgery

I want to know what people's experiences are of their eating habits post surgery. For example, does everyone experience problems with finishing a plate of food or a takeaway meal? I've been experiencing problems with volume of food that I can eat post surgery. I also experience Constipation, something I've never struggled with in the past. The thing I hate is that my food gets cold when I'm trying to make my way through it, even though I'm eating slowly and chewing well. It's so frustrating. I also fear having to eat in public or in front of those that do not know I have had surgery.

I’m three years out from RNY and from my experience, you’re normal. There’s multiple threads on here, some very old, but the info is the same. I like having a restriction, but at this point, I think I have a cup full of food all smashed (like salad can be very smooshed). My sassy response if someone questions my smaller portions (most don’t) , “I’m watching my figure.” At this point I don’t know who cares so I will tell some people, mostly older than 35 year olds, because they have battled the bulge and know the struggle.

Unfortunately you live in a highly visual youth due do constant cameras and video. It’s also normal for 18-29 year olds to expound upon all the great minds and debate things to infinity. (No shade, I did it too.) You could be caught in the crosshairs of some well meaning people who think you’ve suddenly gone “anna.” I practiced some short quick phrases that shut down nosy people. “I’m working with a doctor.” “My dietitian suggested this.” “I’m doing this on purpose with a medical team for my health.”

And the biggest help was getting a therapist. I was terrified of eating in public before WLS. Investing in my health and wellness (all of me) was and is very important. You are very important!

I meant to say that there’s multiple threads on poop and Constipation. Lol

Posted (edited)

Only being able to eat small portions is very normal & to be expected especially only being 3 months out. Remember how small your tummy is now. Your stomach is also still tight from the surgery but it does soften over time & becomes a little more flexible as so you slowly will be able to eat more than you can in the initial period. Initially I was eating 1/4 - 1/3 cup from purée & was barely eating a cup of food at 6 months but by years two or three I was eating pretty much an appropriate portion of food for e.g, about 3ozs of meat & a cup of vegetables.

Most fast food & chain restaurants servings are hugely bigger (like 2, 3 or more times larger) than what is an actual recommended portion size so leftovers are expected. If eating out, order an appetiser or ask to share a main with someone else. And ask to take leftovers home.

I always had left overs in my fridge from unfinished meals. Actually I still do - right now I have left over rolled oats from breakfast (I’ll eat it as an afternoon snack) and some leftover beef cheeks & vegetables from last night’s dinner. Usually it’s because I’m not all that hungry or simply have had enough.

The reason behind eating slowly is for us to learn to be more conscious of actually eating & to consider whether we really need the next bite or just wanting the next bite or mindlessly shovelling food into our mouths. Also it takes at least 20 minutes for the message you are full to register. If you eat quickly you can easily eat to excess & way past being full and not eating only what you need. I also love my microwave if food gets too cold.

Constipation is common. It becomes less common once you’re close to your final weight & when you’re eating a more balanced diet and larger portions. Add a non swelling soluble fibre and keep on top of the constipation by taking an over the counter medication. I’d take coloxyl if I got to day 3 without movement.

And as @learn2cook suggested, speaking with a therapist (your bariatric team should be able to recommend someone with experience in disordered eating if you need) can be very helpful.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

You are really in the early days of your surgery and (totally normally) having to adjust to that.

If you can wait a bit longer before eating in public then do. If not, just order a small meal or a starter. You can (if you want/need to) say "I ate earlier" or "I'm just not that hungry today" to anyone who is nosey enough to push you. You'll be surprised at how few people do though! Just eat what you can/want and take the rest home. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

Posted (edited)

This won’t help when you are out but I read that a coffee mug warmer can be fitted with a saucer plate to keep a small portion of food warm. I don’t remember what portions were like at three months but if your home you could always go for seconds if need be. Also a tip for leftovers is to bring your own takeaway container because they are far less bulky and can fit into a cooler but also because you can do it right away so that you aren’t left with a plate that looks like you haven’t touched it.

Edited by ShoppGirl

13 minutes ago, mealii3 said:

My sister came up with a great idea and bought me a cup warmer. I put my small plate, bowl or cup on it

Great minds think alike. lol

I think my problem is that my brain programming is still the same, where I still have a very high appetite but due to the surgery, can't act on it. For example, if I was to go to an all you can eat buffet, I'd fill up my plate to the brim despite not being able to eat much. It's frustrating. Will get easier over time because hopefully my gluttony for food won't be that intense.

It's really hard to deal with some of the changes. I remember a really rough night. In waves a snapple peach tea. I was like 1 month out so o

I drive to store and all I can find is diet snapped lemon. I bought that and like one other diet tea and brought them home. Remember this was about 22 years ago now. I opened the Snapple (glass bottle) took a sip, hated it and just lost it. I was outside my apartment building and threw the bottle out of frustration. It hit the building, shattered and I started crying so hard, over an iced tea I could have made at home if i had thought about it really. But I was so upset it was after me hating so many sugar-free items. I was just so frustrated. Fast forward to today and I found things I like and have adapted slowly!

On 8/14/2024 at 2:14 PM, Jalapeño said:

I want to know what people's experiences are of their eating habits post surgery. For example, does everyone experience problems with finishing a plate of food or a takeaway meal? I've been experiencing problems with volume of food that I can eat post surgery. I also experience Constipation, something I've never struggled with in the past. The thing I hate is that my food gets cold when I'm trying to make my way through it, even though I'm eating slowly and chewing well. It's so frustrating. I also fear having to eat in public or in front of those that do not know I have had surgery.

"also fear having to eat in public or in front of those that do not know I have had surgery."

Isn't it a shame that with all the push these days to accept everyone for who/what they are, its still acceptable to fat shame and be judgemental of others for a medical condition?

Its the one thing left that people deem an "acceptable" judgement because people feel its all our fault - as if we just pushed away from the table more people wouldn't be over weight. Judgemental people continue to do so without societal repercussions. I've seen the same people jump on someone for saying things about being judged for them being LGBQ, yet these same ppl said some nasty things to me and others for being obese!

Everyone should be able to go out and enjoy dining out without fear of being watched. I too understand why you'd fear this, but you need to get to a point in your life that others opinions of you just don't matter, especially strangers. Once you get there it can be quite liberating! You deserve to enjoy your life without others condemning your living it!